Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 17 players from Reds organization to participate in 2009 World Baseball Classic

Re: 17 players from Reds organization to participate in 2009 World Baseball Classic

I think the one good thing about the WBC is the chance to see if Joey Votto can handle LF. It would then make the Alonso question which may be coming in the near future much easier to deal with for the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 17 players from Reds organization to participate in 2009 World Baseball Classic

In today's game, Cueto allowed a 3-run homer to Wigginton in the first inning and then retired the final five batters he faced.

Willy Taveras is 2-for-2 with a HBP.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I think the one good thing about the WBC is the chance to see if Joey Votto can handle LF. It would then make the Alonso question which may be coming in the near future much easier to deal with for the Reds.
    Which will be even more interesting if Dickerson is healthy and hitting well at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    In today's game, Cueto allowed a 3-run homer to Wigginton in the first inning and then retired the final five batters he faced.
    3 ER, 5 hits, 0 BB, 0 K in 3 IP.

Votto went 0-2 with a BB. He was the DH today.

Taveras finished 3-for-3 with a HBP.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Taveras finished 3-for-3 with a HBP.
    OK, who is the hitting coach for the Dominican team? Lets get him to stick around Willy for the summer.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The trick was batting him 10th.

He actually led off today.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Hairston went 2-5 with a 2B, HR, and 4 RBI today in Mexico's 19-4 win over the Diamondbacks. His HR was off Brandon Webb, too.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Ramon Ramirez's line today: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO

vs. Astros

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

In their various World Baseball Classic tune-ups on Thursday, Joey Votto (as the DH) was 0-for-2, Willy Taveras was 0-for-1, Ramon Hernandez was 0-for-3 and Jerry Hairston Jr. was 1-for-5. Hairston played right field and center field.
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

Don't quite understand this. Jerry Hariston Jr. was born in Iowa. Jerry Hariston Sr. was born in Alabama. Jerry Hariston Jr. is playing for the Mexican team. WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Don't quite understand this. Jerry Hariston Jr. was born in Iowa. Jerry Hariston Sr. was born in Alabama. Jerry Hariston Jr. is playing for the Mexican team. WHY?
    His mom was born in Mexico, which is apparently enough to qualify him to play for the Mexican team.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

See post 54.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    His mom was born in Mexico, which is apparently enough to qualify him to play for the Mexican team.
    Here are the eligibility rules for the tournament.

Added: Also one key, not in Hairston case, is that if you're eligible for citizenship in the country you represent, then you are eligible to play. Some of the players on the Italian team, both this year and in 2006, fall under that category. And Italy's laws, from a quick check on my part, allows citizenship if you have direct lineage through your father's family. Which means if you've got an Italian name, you're directly linked and eligible.

That wouldn't necessarily be the case for other countries. For instance, I'm third generation Irish and German (in Cincinnati, go figure!), but I'm not certain I'm automatically eligible for citizenship in either country, but other countries' laws do differ.

PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
    Each player on a Team's approved Provisional Roster must be eligible to participate for that Team. A player will be so eligible only if:

* The player was born in the nation or territory the Team represents, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent or in player records maintained by Major League Baseball, Nippon Professional Baseball or the Korean Baseball Organization; or
    * The player has one parent who is, or if deceased was, a citizen of the nation the Team represents, as evidenced by a passport or other documentation satisfactory to WBCI and the IBAF; or
    * The player has one parent who was born in the nation or territory the Team represents, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent.

If a player is qualified for citizenship or to hold a passport under the laws of a nation represented by a Team, but has not been granted citizenship or been issued a passport, then the player may be made eligible by WBCI upon petition by the player or Team. Such petition must include documentary evidence showing to the satisfaction of WBCI that the player would be granted citizenship or a passport in due course under the laws of the nation represented by that Team, had the player applied for such citizenship or passport.

Each Team shall submit to WBCI on or before the time it submits its proposed Provisional Roster the evidence supporting the eligibility of each of the players on its proposed Provisional Roster, unless WBCI grants an extension in regard to a player. If such an extension is granted, evidence supporting the eligibility of such player shall be submitted to WBCI as soon as practicable after January 16, 2009, but in no event later than a date to be set by WBCI with respect to such player.

In the event a player is eligible to play on more than one Team, the Player may select the Team for which he wishes to play, provided that nothing shall prohibit such a player from declaring his willingness to play for any Team for which he is eligible to play.

If a player on a Team's approved Provisional Roster or approved Tournament Roster is subsequently determined, in the sole discretion of WBCI, not to have been eligible to participate for that Team, the player shall be removed from the Tournament Roster and shall not be eligible to play in the remainder of the Tournament. Such ineligible player may not be replaced on the Team's Tournament Roster. WBCI may, in its discretion, impose sanctions upon any Team that WBCI determines has used one or more ineligible players.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 03-08-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?