Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Blue Jackets Fan Site

Blue Jackets Fan Site

Hey all, I don't know how many Blue Jackets or hockey fans there are on this site, but I thought this might be worth mentioning. I recently found a new site for Blue Jackets fans called bluejackets247.com. The site has very similar guidelines and rules as we have here at RedsZone, so its a nice, friendly place to talk Blue Jackets and hockey in general. I noticed there wasn't ever much hockey discussion in "The Tavern", so I figured posting this wouldn't take away from RedsZone at all. So if you're a Jackets fan or just a hockey fan in general, you should swing on by and get some good discussion going.
    Last edited by highheat11; 01-20-2009 at 02:15 AM.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jackets Fan Site

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/sp...jackets&st=cse

January 18, 2009
    Columbus Blue Jackets in the Hunt for Their First Playoff Berth
    By JEFF Z. KLEIN and STU HACKEL

The Columbus Blue Jackets have been in existence for eight seasons, and they have never made the playoffs. Only the Washington Capitals, who made their maiden playoff trip in their ninth season, had to wait longer for a spring awakening.

But now the Blue Jackets’ fortunes could be changing. And if they do, much of the credit must go to Steve Mason, a young goaltender who is having a phenomenal rookie campaign.

Mason, a rangy, butterfly-style goalie chosen by Columbus in the third round of the 2006 draft, had a terrific .936 save percentage, second only to Boston’s Tim Thomas, through Friday’s games. He was named the N.H.L.’s rookie of the month for both November and December, and he ended 2008 with three straight shutouts, something no first-year goalie had done since Glenn Hall in 1955.

And most important, Mason, 20, has backstopped the Columbus into postseason contention. Going into Saturday’s games, the Blue Jackets were a point out of the eighth and final playoff spot.

Does Mason ever take a moment to catch his breath in amazement at how well it has all gone so far?

“I haven’t really had time to sit back and think about it,” he said in an e-mail message from Columbus, Ohio. “That’s what the summer is for.”

Mason grew up in Oakville, Ontario, between Hamilton and Toronto, but the player he most admired was the Devils’ Martin Brodeur.

“I never really paid attention to any other goalie other than him,” Mason said. “He’s my favorite goalie from right when I started playing, and he still is. He’s had a heck of a career, and if I could even have half of that, I’d be pretty happy.

“Growing up, my favorite team was the Devils just because of him. I had a Brodeur jersey and everything.”

Mason was chosen to play for Canada at last year’s world junior championship in the Czech Republic. He was brilliant, stopping 95 percent of the shots he faced as the Canadians won the gold medal.

As if playing for his country were not pressure enough, Mason learned at the tournament that his longtime junior team, the London Knights, had traded him to the Kitchener Rangers.

“Obviously, it’s a good stage for any player to be playing in juniors, and to get traded is a good experience,” he said. “It prepares you for down the road, possibly. Since then, there has been no real pressure. Nobody has put anything extra on me.”

Maybe Mason’s blitheness stems from his easy recovery from knee operations in April and in September. In any case, he arrived in Columbus in November and took over for the injured No. 1 goalie, Pascal Leclaire.

Mason, who led the N.H.L. with six shutouts, has a shot at becoming the third rookie in league history to finish first in save percentage (after Ed Belfour in 1991 and Ron Hextall in 1987). And he can help the Blue Jackets reach those elusive playoffs.

The key to that, he said, is “putting together a long winning streak, with good consecutive efforts all around.”

It also helps if your rookie goalie stops just about everything he faces.

The Jackets have some pretty good deals ticket wise - i got 4 upper Bowl tickets, food and drink vouchers, and some type of Jacket clothing item for $100.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Columbus still has a hockey team not named the Chill?

I remember growing up outside of Huntington going to see the Blizzard play. The hockey team itself wasn't very good, but the promotions made it worthwhile. I have an uncle who has been to see the Blackhawks play and didn't really care for the NHL.
    Last edited by WVRed; 01-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I have an uncle who has been to see the Blackhawks play and didn't really care for the NHL.
    That's amusing, the NHL is the best hockey league in the world, it makes minor league and junior hockey look silly IMO.

A good hockey game is the best sports experience you can have in person, IMO.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's amusing, the NHL is the best hockey league in the world, it makes minor league and junior hockey look silly IMO.
    Well, you could say that about the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

Minor league hockey is something that is good and fairly cheap for a date night or family outing. That in particular was what I remember when watching the Blizzard play.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Well, you could say that about the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

Minor league hockey is something that is good and fairly cheap for a date night or family outing. That in particular was what I remember when watching the Blizzard play.
    All true, but the call was on the statement. "My uncle didn't care for the NHL" that was what I replied to not the cost for the ability to parlay that into a date... all good reasons to attend a minor league hockey game as far as I can tell.

But the game that the NHL spits out can't be matched, that was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    All true, but the call was on the statement. "My uncle didn't care for the NHL" that was what I replied to not the cost for the ability to parlay that into a date... all good reasons to attend a minor league hockey game as far as I can tell.

But the game that the NHL spits out can't be matched, that was my point.
    I don't disagree. You do get a better quality of hockey, but its more a matter of the entertainment that goes on during intermissions, etc. That was the point.

I'll be honest, hockey is something I never fully got into or even understood. It's kinda like the saying "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out."

You're dead inside if you go to a Blackhawk game and you don't enjoy yourself.

And WOY, we're going to have to get you back for the Winter Classic. Hopefully come playoff time

Turn Off Ads?