Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Baseball America's J.J. Cooper discusses Reds farm system with C. Trent

Re: Baseball America's J.J. Cooper discusses Reds farm system with C. Trent

Fair enough. I guess I come down more on the "what have they done" than the "what do we think they are going to do" side of prospect rankings. I have seen enough from Alonso between the end of last year and winter ball to feel comfortable that he is the Reds' best prospect.

But, with Alvarez, he hasn't played a minute of professional ball, and has now shown up twice out of shape. I don't place him on skills alone, at that point, at the top of any list...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Back in 2001 when the Baseball America came out their rankings the "top" farm system in all of baseball was the Cubs with 4 players in the top 40, not in the NL Central, but in all of baseball. Who were these future Hall of Famers you ask?

2. Corey Patterson, of, Cubs
    17. Juan Cruz, rhp, Cubs
    22. Hee Seop Choi, 1b, Cubs
    37. Ben Christensen, rhp, Cubs

Down at the bottom of the farm system rankings at #26 were the lowly Cardinals with 1 measly player

42. Albert Pujols, 3b, Cardinals

The moral of this story of course is that you guys really need to relax in regard to where guys are ranked. These polls are just opinions and opinions, as my father used to say, are like a-holes, everybody has them and they generally stink.

If Josh Vitters turns into Corey Patterson and Neftali Soto turns into Albert Pujols, are you really going to care than once upon a time somebody thought Vitters was a better prospect>

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post

If Josh Vitters turns into Corey Patterson and Neftali Soto turns into Albert Pujols, are you really going to care than once upon a time somebody thought Vitters was a better prospect>
    If that's what happens then no, of course we won't care where they were ranked way back in Ought-9. But right now, in the middle of January, it gives us something to talk about. I know I for one generally learn a lot about not only our own prospects from these threads, but about other teams' prospects as well.

Not having this sort of discourse about an "expert's" opinion on the Reds' prospects would be a great disservice to the members of Redszone, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?