Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America's J.J. Cooper discusses Reds farm system with C. Trent

Re: Baseball America's J.J. Cooper discusses Reds farm system with C. Trent

John Sickels on Kyle Lotzkar:

Kyle Lotzkar, RHP, Cincinnati Reds

Bats: L Throws: R HT: 6-4 WT: 200 DOB: October 24, 1989

Kyle Lotzkar of the Hill People was a supplemental first round pick in 2007 out of high school in British Columbia. He has an ideal pitcherís body, already throws 90-94 MPH and should gain more velocity in time. His curveball and changeup also show plus potential. Both are erratic right now, but if things develop properly Lotzkar will have three strong major league pitches. Note his excellent K/IP ratio so far as a pro. The two main issues here are command and health. He simply walks too many guys right now, and while that should improve in time, there is no guarantee that it will. Of greater concern, he was limited to just 10 starts by a balky elbow last year. Surgery was avoided, but heíll have to prove his durability. I am impressed with Lotzkarís long-term potential, but he needs refinement and injury risk could be high. If he stays healthy, I like his chances. I am going to go with an aggressive Grade B- on this one.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/...-book-excerpts
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    From the Espn BA Jim Callis Chat:

Deywane Memphis: How would you rank the farm systems in the National League Central?

Jim Callis: (2:27 PM ET ) My ranking (not necessarily the BA consensus) put the Cardinals at No. 8, the Brewers at No. 11, the Pirates at No. 15, the Reds at No. 17, the Cubs at No. 27 and the Astros at No. 30.
    No way can I agree with that. The Pirates farm system has three players in it. Pedro Alvarez, Andrew McCutcheon and Jose Tabata. Seriously, our farm system is MUCH stronger than the one they have.

Simple weighting system by grades John Sickels gives out for each teams top 20.
    A=10
    A-=9
    B+=8
    B=7
    B-=6
    C+=5
    C=4

That puts the Cardinals at #1 with 115, Brewers #2 with 112, Reds at #3 with 111 and the Pirates 4th with 104. Key things to note, Sickels ranks Duran and Rodriguez 20 and 21, so they got C's. BA gave them spots in the top 10.

The Pirates rating just can't be justified in my eyes. I also think the Cardinals are either too high or the Reds and Brewers are too low because I think the Crew and us both have slightly better farm systems than they do.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would take the Reds system over any of those. The Cardinals third best prospect is Chris Perez. The Reds have a comparable prospect in Zach Stewart who didn't even crack the Reds top ten.
    The Brewers system is arguably as good or better but like you I agree the rest aren't close.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The Brewers system is arguably as good or better but like you I agree the rest aren't close.
    The Cardinals like the Reds and Brewers do have a very deep system, even though I don't agree with their top end prospects being as top heavy as BA seems to think they are.

Ranking the Pirates ahead of the Reds is an absolute joke.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I rank Jim Callis below Ben Badler, J.J. Cooper, and John Manuel.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-21-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I rank Jim Callis below Ben Badler, J.J. Cooper, and John Manuel.
    John Manuel would rank the Cubs before the Reds.

John Manuel would rank the Cubs before the Reds.
    I thought Callis was the Cubs fan? Anyway, I like Callis but those rankings are awful, IMO.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-21-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Ben (Centerville, OH): Lightning Round: Who gets to the Majors first from the Reds AA team in Carolina this year?: Todd Frazier, Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco, or Chris Heisey

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:44 PM ET ) Todd Frazier.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24671
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Callis ranked the top 33 prospects in the NL Central for Derrick Gould the Cardinals minor league guy. The link isn't working right now for some reason, http://stltoday.com/.../ranking-pros...al-for-context . I remember the Reds placement on the list though:

8. Yonder Alonso
    10. Todd Frazier
    16. Drew Stubbs
    19. Chris Valakia
    20. Neftali Soto
    30 Juan Francisco
    31. Kyle Lotzkar
    Last edited by New Fever; 01-21-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Callis ranked the top 33 prospects in the NL Central for Derrick Gould the Cardinals minor league guy. The link isn't working right now for some reason, http://stltoday.com/.../ranking-pros...al-for-context . I remember the Reds placement on the list though:

8. Yonder Alonso
    10. Todd Frazier
    16. Drew Stubbs
    19. Chris Valakia
    20. Neftali Soto
    30 Juan Francisco
    31. Kyle Lotzkar
    Soto 20th? That list is an embarrassment, IMO. I'm sure he's got Josh Vitters ahead of Soto.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Soto 20th? That list is an embarrassment, IMO. I'm sure he's got Josh Vitters ahead of Soto.
    OBM, it's just not Callis though. On JJ. Cooper's list for BA he ranks Valakia ahead of Soto, Baseball Prospectus does as well and even John Sickels does on his Reds Top 20. I wonder if we like Soto here at Redszone better than the scouts do?

OBM, it's just not Callis though. On JJ. Cooper's list for BA he ranks Valakia ahead of Soto, Baseball Prospectus does as well and even John Sickels does on his Reds Top 20. I wonder if we like Soto here at Redszone better than the scouts do?
    No, Soto is underrated because he's a Reds prospect. In his ESPN chat Callis said that Vitters is a future All-Star, yet Soto gets no love.

Soto is six months older than Vitters:

Neftali Soto - minor league career:

.327/.360/.522 - .882 OPS in 437 AB

Josh Vitters - minor league career:

.290/.327/.435 - .762 OPS in 324 AB

If Soto was a Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs prospect he would be a top 50 prospect.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

It wouldn't be the first time redszone liked a guy way more than the rest of the baseball world.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, and I like soto.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Also its of note that callis is never really very high on the reds.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?