Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove league show recap for 1-20-09.

Marty and Thom were the hosts tonight.

They talked about EE and David Weathers exchanging arbitration numbers with the Reds. They mentioned that the Reds signed Gomes. They said that Ryan Howard is asking for $18M in arbitration and the Phils are offering $14M. They said that they Yankees signed Xavier Nady to a 1 year deal for $6.65M. They said the Red Sox signed Papelbon for around $6M and the Dodgers signed Russell Martin to a $3.9M deal for a year.

Marty said that it seems that Nady's and Swisher's names keep coming up in trade talks. Marty also wondered why the Reds seemed to still be interested in Abreu. Thom said that he's the best available even though he's a lefty there are really only two lefty hitters in the lineup with Bruce and Votto.

The first caller asked if they had any interest in bringing Dunn back. Marty said he's not going to get signed unless he cmes down off his price some more and the Dodgers seem to be interested in him if Manny doesn't re-sign with them. Marty said that he has heard that Dunn is in the best shape of his life now and if that's the case he's been stealing money from the Reds for several years now playing out of shape and there's no way in the world he wants him back.

Someone asked if the clubhose would be different without Dunn and Jr. Marty said it was a different atmosphere the minute they were gone since the younger players seemed reluctant to show leadership with veterans like Jr. and Dunn around.

Someone said they read a blog that said the Reds were interested in bringing Sean Casey back. Marty said he hadn't heard a thing about it and Thom said that Sean is thinking about retiring.

Another caller asked if the Reds would be interested in Randy Wolf or John Garland. Marty said there's several guys in their shoes like Pedro, Oliver Perez and Ben Sheets. Marty thinks Sheets is too much of an injury risk.

Someone asked about Gomes' numbers against left handers and neither Brennaman had a clue.

Another caller asked whether Valaika and or Roenecke had a shot at making the club. Marty said that the only spot on the pitching staff that's open is for the 5th starter.

Some kid called up and asked what he could expect out of spring training. Marty said a wonderful time.

Another caller asked if Juan Francisco could make the club. Thom said no and he's only been as high as low A ball.

Marty said the first ST broadcast will be on Feb 25th against the Rays.

Another caller asked who JimBo would sign first, Jr. or Dunn. Marty said probably Dunn and Jr. will probably go to SEA.

Someone asked where the Reds would finish in the division. Thom said they are the most improved team in the division outside of the Cubs.

The next caller asked if the Reds could compete without that RH power hitter. Marty said EE and Hernandez have to step it up and if they do, they won't need one.

Someopne asked if the Reds were interested in getting Francouer from ATL. Marty doesn't like his 180 Ks and lack of walks.

Another person asked about Andruw Jones. Thom thinks it wouldn't be a bad idea. Marty said that ATL may offer him a minor league deal.

Someone asked if Nomar would be a good addition. Thom said he got hurt in ST and they had to bring DeWitt up and he did well. Then when De Witt got hurt and Nomar played, they weren't satisfied with Nomar. They think his best days are behind him.

The next caller asked about Livingston. Dr. K happened to be in studio and he said he's doing great and throwing with no pain. Marty asked him about Gonzo and Dr. K said he was doing well and pain free too. He will go down and see him in FLA. Marty asked when will they know if Gonzo can go. Dr. K said probably the 1st 2 weeks of ST.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Hot Stove League show report

It's interesting that they talked about Livingston because he just signed with the Orioles.

By the way, thank you very much for doing this, Chip R.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 01-21-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Someone asked about Gomes' numbers against left handers and neither Brennaman had a clue.
    This is their job!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Marty must get paid by the Dunn mention
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It's interesting that they talked about Livingston because he just signed with the Orioles.

By the way, thank you very much for doing this, Chip R.
    More often than not the average RedsZone member is far more informed than ANY voice you hear on 700 WLW about current MLB events.

If the Reds don't issue a press release or if McCoy or Fay don't print it.. It's like it never happened.

And these loud mouth egomaniacs have the nerve to accuse players of not doing their jobs and stealing from their employers.

Thanks Chip, You da man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    More often than not the average RedsZone member is far more informed than ANY voice you hear on 700 WLW about current MLB events.

If the Reds don't issue a press release or if McCoy or Fay don't print it.. It's like it never happened.

And these loud mouth egomaniacs have the nerve to accuse players of not doing their jobs and stealing from their employers.

I think that Marty has been stealing from the Reds for years by going on the air so generally uninformed.

If it wasn't for GMs bringing in guys like Kirk Saarloos, Jeff Conine and Willy Taveras, Marty would easily rank as my least favorite Reds figure.

I actually think Thom shows flashes of getting it, but the young guy seems reluctant to show any leadership with Marty still around.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I actually think Thom shows flashes of getting it, but the young guy seems reluctant to show any leadership with Marty still around.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I think it's a bit harsh to say Dunn's been "stealing" money from the Reds when he's averaged 40 home run's a year. However, I'm not going to say it doesn't bother me to see him wait until FA to drop 20 lbs and get in the shape he was in upon his arrival in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Marty must get paid by the Dunn mention
    If he had said no comment, folks here wouldve said he wasnt informed or he was stealing from the Reds... what he said about Dunn was dead on because he was paid well and he really was biding his time to become a free agent. The whole Dunn situation is sad IMO.

Someone said they read a blog that said the Reds were interested in bringing Sean Casey back. Marty said he hadn't heard a thing about it and Thom said that Sean is thinking about retiring.
    Rod from Norwood was that caller.

Marty's line about Dunn stealing did grate on me. However he does have a point, if he is now in the "best shape of his life" it does play into the notion that he wasn't working as hard as he should have been.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Sad but true... That is what's wrong with baseball. You only get in if you know somebody, not necessarily to play the game, but definitely to coach, GM, scout, you name it. This isn't the case all the time, but I would say at least 80% of it is like this. Politics are all over baseball, you really do get people that don't know anymore about baseball than you and I.
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

I think MLB worked something out on this (as it was an issue at first), but does Kremchek have like a blanket release from HIPAA requirements to make statements about players medical conditions?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Excellent point. I can't remember the last time that Marty came to a broadcast with some new Reds related material. He's really gotten lazy with the writers coming in the 2nd inning and seems to use that to catch up on the news at the same time the fans do.

Although I can see why none of the players are anxious to give Marty any kind of human interest information about what is going on in their lives, since he is such a jerk to them.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Someopne asked if the Reds were interested in getting Francouer from ATL. Marty doesn't like his 180 Ks and lack of walks.
    Jeff must have a stipulation in his contract, evidently HE is payed to walk.

Dear Reds Conduit to the fans,

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

Your friend Bored Listener

Some kid called up and asked what he could expect out of spring training. Marty said a wonderful time.
    Informative and charming as always. The face of the franchise, thinking mostly about college basketball at this juncture of the off season and hitting his usual piñata's for 60 minutes on the big one.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    This is their job!
    In their defense, I would bet no one on here could answer that question off the top of their heads. Sure... baseball-reference.com and others provide the data. But they're in a studio, live, trying to move the show along.

That said, a better answer would've been to point the caller to the information and then wax poetic about general lefty/righty splits and their opinions about platoons etc.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?