Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Law (Organizational Rankings) Reds ranked 26th

Re: Keith Law (Organizational Rankings) Reds ranked 26th

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Hey OBM, want to know something funny? That is MY blog, that I wrote on a few years ago, and I actually traded a few emails with Keith Law about this very subject (and he even registered an account here that he almost began posting with but thought a huge can of worms would open up), to the point where he conceded that he was being hyperbolic. I knew that all along, but I just wanted him to admit it . He had a few decent points, but all he could come up with were maybe 2-3 teams that were close enough to being arguably having 3 better pitchers than Harang.

In the end, his point became "on the elite pitching staffs in the American League, Harang is nothing more than a #3/4 pitcher." After that he told me I should start a blog, which I did for a few days, before a fantasy hockey site liked my work and decided to pay me to write such articles.

Anyways, thought you'd appreciate that little story. Never thought I'd ever see that blog again, thanks for bringing it back haha.
    Good stuff!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

#26 may be harsh, but the Reds system is in a lull at the moment. Turning out Votto, Cueto and Bruce in a year was heady stuff, but the remaining kids on the farm in no way resembled those three players circa 2007 (or even 2006). The problem with the system is the starting pitching on the farm is flat out poor. The position players lack a certain wow factor too - Frazier and Alonso profile more as steady players than annual MVP candidates. I've got nothing against steady players, but no one gushes over them while they're in the minors.

The Brewers and Cardinals are the class of the division in terms of the farm system at the moment. The Pirates have the most drool-inducing top end prospects (Pedro Alvarez and Andrew McCutcheon). The Cubs have power arms and shortstops. The Astros are a joke.

The Reds have a lot of kids with something to prove in 2009. If they do, then the plaudits will follow, but I think it's fair for the jury to be out on the Reds system at this moment.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds have a lot of kids with something to prove in 2009. If they do, then the plaudits will follow, but I think it's fair for the jury to be out on the Reds system at this moment.
    What probably hurts their ratings most of all is that they've got a lot of former #1 picks (Bailey, Stubbs, Mesoraco) with things to prove this year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

#26 may be harsh, but the Reds system is in a lull at the moment. Turning out Votto, Cueto and Bruce in a year was heady stuff, but the remaining kids on the farm in no way resembled those three players circa 2007 (or even 2006). The problem with the system is the starting pitching on the farm is flat out poor. The position players lack a certain wow factor too - Frazier and Alonso profile more as steady players than annual MVP candidates. I've got nothing against steady players, but no one gushes over them while they're in the minors.

The Brewers and Cardinals are the class of the division in terms of the farm system at the moment. The Pirates have the most drool-inducing top end prospects (Pedro Alvarez and Andrew McCutcheon). The Cubs have power arms and shortstops. The Astros are a joke.

Or maybe guys like Colby Rasmus have a better PR staff than Alonso and Frazier. McCutcheon I get but other than him I'm not sold any of the others listed above these 2 having better actual potential.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Or maybe guys like Colby Rasmus have a better PR staff than Alonso and Frazier. McCutcheon I get but other than him I'm not sold any of the others listed above these 2 having better actual potential.
    Rasmus put up .275/.381/.551 in AA as a 20 year old. Frazier hasn't seen a pitch above A ball and Alonso has barely seen a pro pitch.

That's why, for now, some would rank him higher.

I quit reading Keith Law long ago. I never found anything worthwhile or well-researched in anything he wrote. And it's not like his writing is entertaining...I'd prefer to read Baseball America and John Sickels (someone who has a passion for prospects) than waste time on Law.

The Reds system, while appearing not to have many impact prospects right at this moment, has a lot of depth. Compared to the D-Backs and Cubs...c'mon, it's not even close!

Bumstead

I actually think The Reds have 3-4 players in the mold of the three that graduated in 2008.

Danny Dorn. His splits are an issue, but a career .915 OPS in the minors is pretty good. He missed some PT in 2008 due to a laceration. He doesn't seem to be injury prone. He's the power hitting LF for the Reds, probably makes his debut late 2009 and the job is probably his in 2010. If he tears up AAA in the first 2 months and LF is a problem, we might see him sooner.

Francisco/Alonso/Frazier are all at AA, and will likely "graduate" around the same time. That's a ton of power.

The AAA rotation looks to promote at least one starter in 2009.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus have stated they think Yonder Alonso can develop into a .300/.400/.550 type of hitter. That would make him an MVP caliber hitter, IMO.

I would rank the NL Central farm systems in this order:

1. Brewers
    2. Reds
    3. Cardinals
    4. Pirates
    5. Cubs
    6. Astros

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus have stated they think Yonder Alonso can develop into a .300/.400/.550 type of hitter. That would make him an MVP caliber hitter, IMO.

I would rank the NL Central farm systems in this order:

1. Brewers
    2. Reds
    3. Cardinals
    4. Pirates
    5. Cubs
    6. Astros
    Copy Cat.

Alonso 76
    Stubbs 89

That's it.

I love Alonso's game. He was a joy to watch at The "U", and I just love his approach at the plate. I used to play college ball and Alonso has a presence at the plate that I was only able to put together for a couple of weeks during my career. Once a player learns to command the strike zone in that way and only hit his pitch, not letting the pitcher force him to chase, the game becomes much easier. A guy like Pujols is a perfect example, you never see him get fooled. He always controls the AB... I see a lot that discipline and control in Alonso (of course Alonso's power will probably never touch Albert's). Hopefully he continue to do that as he climbs through the ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Alonso 76
    Stubbs 89

That's it.
    That list is a joke. He has Josh Vitters #14 and Neftali Soto unranked.

I have never heard of Keith Law, and now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Have you been over to the Sun Deck recently?

We're deserving of a much better rating than this. We still have plenty of prospects, such as Stubbs, Devin M., and Alonso. We also have some of the less-developed players like Frazier and Soto. We deserve top 20, and probably top 15.
    not like the ORG is top notch either

Turn Off Ads?