Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball America's Top Ten Reds prospects

Re: Baseball America has their Reds write up.

Stubbs is a GG type defender and this is in the wrong forum

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have doubts that Arroyo will still be here in 2012 like they project.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I have doubts that Arroyo will still be here in 2012 like they project.
    By their rules they don't assume trades, so basically they are just saying they don't believe the Reds have enough prospects that would be able to run Arroyo out of the rotation if he were here in 2012 still.

Re: Baseball America's Top Ten Reds prospects

God love 'em for putting together some decent scouting reports even if it is only our top ten. I wonder has anyone else read them yet and what do you think? Too me they are pretty much on point.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

From the chat:

Q: Deywane from Memphis asks:
    The Reds seem to have more prospects than most systems, how many actual prospects would you say the Reds have?

A: J.J. Cooper: I would agree with you. When the discussion about our organization talent rankings was going on before we sent out the Prospect Handbook, I was in the minority in my view of where the Reds should rank. Because of their small number of potential all-stars in the Top 30, several guys in the office saw them as more of solid but middle of the pack organization. I thought they should rank higher because they have a large number of likely big leaguers in the top 30. What the Reds have is a large number of productive, if lower-ceiling, players who have had success in Double-A or higher. They don't have the all-star potential of some other teams' lists, but they do have a much higher likelihood of producing numerous big leaguers. Of the players who made the Reds Top 30, I'd expect that 10 to 15 of them will eventually play in the big leagues, which is a significantly higher number than most organizations. But it's also possible that only two or three of those 10 to 15 will be long-term big league regulars. It all depends on how you value depth versus impact talent.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    From the chat:

The Reds seem to have more prospects than most systems, how many actual prospects would you say the Reds have?

A: J.J. Cooper: I would agree with you. When the discussion about our organization talent rankings was going on before we sent out the Prospect Handbook, I was in the minority in my view of where the Reds should rank. Because of their small number of potential all-stars in the Top 30, several guys in the office saw them as more of solid but middle of the pack organization. I thought they should rank higher because they have a large number of likely big leaguers in the top 30. What the Reds have is a large number of productive, if lower-ceiling, players who have had success in Double-A or higher. They don't have the all-star potential of some other teams' lists, but they do have a much higher likelihood of producing numerous big leaguers. Of the players who made the Reds Top 30, I'd expect that 10 to 15 of them will eventually play in the big leagues, which is a significantly higher number than most organizations. But it's also possible that only two or three of those 10 to 15 will be long-term big league regulars. It all depends on how you value depth versus impact talent.
    pretty good question

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    From the chat:

That's an excellent summary. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    God love 'em for putting together some decent scouting reports even if it is only our top ten. I wonder has anyone else read them yet and what do you think? Too me they are pretty much on point.
    I agree. There were no surprises nor was there much that differed from what has been discussed in RZ. The details of the weaknesses confirmed a thorough analysis.

I am usually an optimist, but I am having trouble staying enthusiastic about Mesoraco. The BA scouting report did not help. Is gaining bad weight a euphemism for getting fat? I don't even want to conjecture what bad body language includes.

Cooper is very high on the Reds farm system. He says the opinion around the BA office is the Reds farm system is average at worst, but Cooper believes it's better than that. He's very impressed with the depth in the Reds farm system.

His reasoning for having Soto at number seven is because he probably won't stick at third base. He does agree that Soto has a big bat and says he can see the argument for having Soto #3.

I'll post a summary and other details later when I have time.

I was a little surprised by BA ranking Yorman Rodriguez over Juan Duran simply because I was under the impression that Duran was valued a little higher around here based on the BA writeups.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    I was a little surprised by BA ranking Yorman Rodriguez over Juan Duran simply because I was under the impression that Duran was valued a little higher around here based on the BA writeups.
    Duran is the better hitting prospect but Yorman also possesses great hitting tools along with elite defensive skills at a premium position. Baseball America describes Duran as having plus speed but they think he'll have to move from CF to RF after he fills out and loses some of his speed. The ranking comes down to Yorman playing a premium position compared to Duran being a corner outfielder.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-24-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Invite them to spring training.

Summary of each scouting report:

Yonder Alonso - plus power and swing and plate discipline to hit for high average. Best power is to the alleys. Is a workaholic. Below average athlete. Soft hands and adequate arm should allow him to develop into an average defender. Could reach majors by September of 2009.

Todd Frazier - above average raw power. Soft hands and strong arm and solid defender. Average speed. Good athlete for his size. Unconventional swing. Could reach majors by late 2009.

Drew Stubbs - excellent bat speed, above average raw power, plus arm and plus-plus speed. Made strides at plate by widening stance and cutting down on swing. Scouts believe cutting down on his swing was a smart move and they think his power will develop as he makes more contact. Probably will never hit for high average. Not a great bunter yet.

Chris Valaika - good instincts and work ethic. Good swing, uses all parts of the field, above average bat speed, surviving at SS, has the bat to play second base. Lacks quick feet but quick release and strong arm make up for lack of range. Could reach majors in 2009.

Yorman Rodriguez - projects for above average power, plus-plus speed, already an above average defender in CF, best outfield arm in the system. Struggles against breaking balls right now. Held his own against older pitchers in instructional league. Will start in extended spring training before heading to GCL league.

Kyle Lotzkar - most promising young pitcher in organization. Projects to have three above average pitches. Free and easy delivery. Trusts his secondary stuff. Health is biggest concern. Projects as No. 2 starter.

Neftali Soto - broke Juan Gonzalez's youth homer records in Puerto Rico. Great bat speed and strength. Projects for 60-65 power (plus category) on 20-80 scale. Great hand-eye coordination. Strong arm. Below average speed. May eventually move to left field but Reds will keep him at 3B for now.

Juan Francisco - great power, quick bat long arms provide great leverage. Arm grades out as a 70 on the 20-80 scale. Expected to outgrow 3B, though he has a solid first step and decent speed. Plate discipline is poor. Needs to watch his weight.

Juan Duran - best raw power in the system. His swing possessed natural loft and great carry. Massive frame, could add 40-50 pounds. Plus speed for now but will lose some as he fills out. Expected to move from CF to RF. Strong arm. Gawky runner for now as he's adjusting to growing six inches in the span of a year.

Devin Mesoraco - outstanding tools for a catcher. Good strength and strong arm. Was best player in instructional league after his thumbs healed. Scouts were disappointed in his debut. Bat speed slowed as season went on with thumb injuries playing a role in that. May benefit from repeating Low-A.

and a link to BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...09/267417.html

Another interesting tidbit from the chat. When asked who had the highest ceiling of any pitcher in the Reds farm system, Cooper said Lotzkar with Jordan Smith coming in second. I was a bit surprised by that. I guess I can see it though. smith throws his fastball up to 95 with good sink and his slider grades out as the best in the organization. If he can develop his changeup into an average or better pitch then watch out...

Yorman Rodriguez - projects for above average power
    I thought he was supposed to have massive power potential?

Turn Off Ads?