Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Baseball America's Top Ten Reds prospects

Re: Baseball America's Top Ten Reds prospects

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Did redszone.com debate Mark Schramek and Dane Sardinha a few years back? Oh, that had to be grueling.
    Those discussions were beyond painful.

People used to list the future rotation like it was a given, with Howington, Aramboles, Moseley, Gruler and Basham/Hall being the ticket to future success. Supposedly immortals like Ben Shaffar, Luke Hudson, Seth Etherton, Josh Thigpen, Phil Dumatrait were key pickups as well. Your mind would reel at the ridiculous expectations placed on D.J. Mattox. Brandon Claussen's major league success was considered incontestable dogma of the Reds faith.

The site's been big on catchers who can't hit. Craig Tatum now gets the love once given to Sardinha and Miguel Perez.

Oddly Reds prospects who have made it -- Scott Williamson, Jason LaRue, Aaron Boone, Edwin Encarnacion, etc. -- tend to be targets of criticism. It's almost like if you do make it to the majors and contribute in some positive fashion that there's something wrong with you.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Frazier probably had the best instincts and intangibles of any player that I have seen in a long time.
    I like that he oozes "ballplayer" from his pores too, but I'd argue that what he has are tangibles more than intangibles. He's a quality hitter and his actual defense plays above his tools.

Frazier's going to post an OPS you can give a hoot about and it looks he's the best bet in the system to be a quality defensive 3B. Maybe Frazier's baseball IQ allows him to add up to more than the sum of his tools, but he does add up (with Dustin Pedroia being the current best example of a player with extremely tangible intangibles).

My take on Frazier is the remaining question on him is whether he realizes his full potential (a foundational player for a major league team) or whether he has a Jeff Treadway plateau (useful journeyman).

I admit that I was pretty high on Ricardo Aramboles and I thought Brandon Claussen was going to be a solid major leaguer, but I never did think much of the others. I didn't follow the minors when Boone, Williamson, and LaRue were prospects but I was always very high on Encarnacion.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I think both Lotzkar and Soto are excellent prospects.
    I'd label them interesting prospects. To me "excellent" prospects are kids who are excellent bets to star in the majors. I'm not sure either Soto or Lotzkar have a significant major league future (particularly Lotzkar). Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I wouldn't put any money on it either way. It may be two years before anyone has a firm handle on what to expect from those two. They're awfully young and neither one has played a full season of pro baseball.

Turn Off Ads?