Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Reds are at payroll budget

Jocketty: Reds are at payroll budget

As passed along by C Trent:

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/

I guess this confirms no signing of Abreu, or trading for Swisher unless equal dollars went back the other way.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty: Reds are at payroll budget

And...scene.

Good work from C. Trent, as that makes it clear that the roster we see now is what we will roughly see in April.

Gomes/Dickerson in LF? Hairston in LF?

I sure hope it is the former and not the latter.

I think most of us are realists and probably knew this in our hearts, but there was always that one tiny glimmer of hope that one more move was on the way...Oh, well. Business as usual I guess.

about two weeks ago, they were talking about Abreu.

so which is it? they are at payroll budget, but will exceed that for the right player?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Must be a revised budget.

Should be an exciting season!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Here's the text of it:

Well, not really...

Anway, a little Thursday schedule. I was just downtown at GABP as the Reds caravan was taking off -- I'll have stuff from Bob Castellini, Walt Jocketty and Dusty Baker here in a little bit. And then we'll have stories on Brandon Phillips and Yonder Alonso here in the next couple of days.

Anyway, here's the quick stuff I have from Bob, Walt and Dusty.

All three mentioned that the team is now at its budget for payroll, so don't expect any big singings.

I asked Jocketty that with the price tag coming down, would there be any interest in bringing back Adam Dunn: "I don't think so," Jocketty said.

Jocketty said Dr. Tim Kremcheck will examine Alex Gonzalez in Miami this weekend, but reports are good. Castellini didn't sound as hopeful in regards to Gonzalez.

Dusty Baker said there could be a platoon in left with Gomes, Dickerson and Hopper/Hairston. He also said Willy Taveras is his centerfielder and leadoff batter.

I'll have more later (including TOL's little brother -- Afternoon Delight)
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    about two weeks ago, they were talking about Abreu.

so which is it? they are at payroll budget, but will exceed that for the right player?
    They may consider themselves over budget and are already thinking about shedding salary in July.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They may consider themselves over budget and are already thinking about shedding salary in July.
    Yeah, they can dump some expensive pitching (Arroyo, Harang).

But we'll still have Willie in CF, and leading off!

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I'm shocked that the manager has already named the speedy CF as the leadoff hitter
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Cincinnati.com Reds newsletter just sent me the following:

Breaking News:

---------------------------------------------------------------

January 22, 2009 05:22

Reds roster frozen by economy

Bob Castellini, the Reds chief executive officer, said for the first time this morning that the struggling economy is affecting the Reds' budget, and that fans should not expect any major additions to the club at this point.

http://news.enquirer.com/article/200.../301220085/-1/
    That links to this Fay article.

Economy affecting Reds

By John Fay • January 22, 2009

Bob Castellini, the Reds chief executive officer, said for the first time this morning that the struggling economy is affecting the Reds' budget, and suggested that fans should not expect any major additions to the club at this point.

General manager Walt Jocketty reiterated the message and said the club is already close to budget as far as the payroll goes.

The comments were made as the team prepared to depart this morning for its biggest caravan ever, and illustrate the club's reduced expectations from December, when it looked as if the payroll might reach some $80 million.

Last year's player payroll was $74 million to start the year. Jocketty said he now thinks the club will be in that range for the 2009 season, maybe a bit more.

"It's what it was last year," Jocketty said. "In fact, it may be a little more."

Asked if the economy is affecting the team, Castellini said, "You bet."

"We've got get the top line (revenue up). We're focused on it," Castellini said. "We've got just about the whole team we anticipated we were able to put together."

Castellini has been focused on a quick turnaround since he took over the team, although he says that was somewhat overplayed by the media.

"We want to win," Castellini said. "That's our message. I knew we couldn't win right away. You want to, but it takes time. I said we want to win -- not overnight. You guys took that out of context."

The Reds aren't saying they're writing off the 2009 season, but the focus is on the future.

"I don't think you can put a timetable on it," Jocketty said. "It takes time to build a competitive organization -- a consistently competitive organization. You can do some things for instant success. But you can't sustain. We want to build the organization to sustain success and be a club that's in the hunt every year. We really trying to develop our younger players and utilize the talent we have in the organization.

"I think in our division right now, it could be any interesting year. We'll see what happens."

Again, the Reds will go to spring training with what they have.

"We've got a lot of new guys," Jocketty said. "We've got a lot of things to look at. I'd like to get into camp and see where are before we start tinkering."

/r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The Cincinnati.com Reds newsletter just sent me the following:

The Power of Tradition!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Reds fever. Catch it!
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Should be an exciting season!
    If you call 72-90 exciting. Very disappointing.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Fay has a little more in his blog:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...ategory=blog07

Basically says they are now factoring in the economy, and are more focused on the future. Castellini backtracks when asked aboout how soon they will be competitive - says the media took "win now" out of his context.

My comeback is this: if they had subbed Roenicke for Weathers, save 4 mil. Use Dickerson instead of Tavares, save 2 mil. That's 6 of the 8 or so mil an Abreau would have cost, and they're instantly in the mix.

Turn Off Ads?