Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds are at payroll budget

Reds are at payroll budget

Per the Enquirer and Jocketty, the Reds are at payroll budget... bummer.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds are at payroll budget

Yeah that is a bummer. really could've used another good stick in the lineup.

This is a joke! They get rid of big contracts and bring in... Willy Taveras! This team may be the worst since 2001.

Reds Reach Payroll Limit By Tim Dierkes [January 22 at 9:03am CST]

C. Trent Rosecrans spoke to Reds brass Bob Castellini, Walt Jocketty, and Dusty Baker today. All three told him the team has reached its payroll budget.

The Reds' 2009 additions/re-signings include Ramon Hernandez ($6MM), David Weathers ($4.6MM or $3MM), Willy Taveras ($2.25MM), Jerry Hairston Jr. ($2MM), Mike Lincoln ($1.5MM), Arthur Rhodes ($2MM), and Jonny Gomes (minor league deal). Edwin Encarnacion is in line for a raise of at least $2MM. Many of the team's signed veterans have significant raises for '09.

On the flip side, the Reds will not have to pay Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr., Dave Ross, Ryan Freel, Javier Valentin, Jeremy Affeldt, and Josh Fogg.
    From C. Trents blog:
    My Page
    Thinking out loud 1.22
    Thursday, January 22, 2009, 09:42 AM EST [General]

Well, not really...

Anway, a little Thursday schedule. I was just downtown at GABP as the Reds caravan was taking off -- I'll have stuff from Bob Castellini, Walt Jocketty and Dusty Baker here in a little bit. And then we'll have stories on Brandon Phillips and Yonder Alonso here in the next couple of days.

Anyway, here's the quick stuff I have from Bob, Walt and Dusty.

All three mentioned that the team is now at its budget for payroll, so don't expect any big singings.

I asked Jocketty that with the price tag coming down, would there be any interest in bringing back Adam Dunn: "I don't think so," Jocketty said.

Jocketty said Dr. Tim Kremcheck will examine Alex Gonzalez in Miami this weekend, but reports are good. Castellini didn't sound as hopeful in regards to Gonzalez.

Dusty Baker said there could be a platoon in left with Gomes, Dickerson and Hopper/Hairston. He also said Willy Taveras is his centerfielder and leadoff batter.

I'll have more later (including TOL's little brother -- Afternoon Delight)
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-22-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Haha amen to that. Hopefully not the worst since 2001 though!

This is not good news for 757690 and his signature...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

This is not pleasant news, but we as fans have to remember that the Reds are a business. Just like any business, they are feeling the pinch. Unfortunate, but really no different than the budget cuts being made by my employer for next year.

By the way, that puts the 25 man roster - what is normally considered "The Payroll" - at under $70M - not even at $69M by all calculations, even with the player asking prices on the Arbitration numbers from EE and Weathers.

I LOVE being lied to, repeatedly, by ownership.

"We are commited to winning"
    "Our payroll will be in the mid $80s(millions)"
    "a RH power LF-er is our #1 priority this off-season"

Good thing we have a $12M closer!

Good Lord.

I might have to seriously consider boycotting this team.

Right now the Reds are the car wreck on the side of the road that you just can't look away, but even rolling at 1 MPH, eventually you won't be able to see it anymore...

Is that the Jaws of Life being operated by DUHsty Baker?!!? That's like throwing gasoline on a fire...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Here's to another season in Low A for me...Go Dragons!
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    ... Good thing we have a $12M closer! ...
    ... for three more years! Maybe it's not up there with Milton but that's the worst contract we have and could be one of the worst that they've made.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Well I know now that I have never rooted harder for a player than I will for Willy Taveras this season. Come on, .290 year!

Unbelievable! not sure why i'm surprised, but this organization is completely disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Well I know now that I have never rooted harder for a player than I will for Willy Taveras this season. Come on, .290 year!

In Great American Small Park, I highly doubt it, but I hope so and with 60-70 sb's.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

How can you drop the contracts of Dunn and Griffey, spend a fraction of the money that was made available, and then say you are out of money? The only explanation that I can think of would be the economy is on their minds and they are holding back until they see how the economy will change heading into the 2009 baseball season. Hopefully by that time it won't be too late to make any moves...

Your 2009 Cincinnati Reds are hitting the road and making some stops on their annual Reds Caravan to meet their fans and get them excited for the upcoming seasons. Today, from 4:30-7:00pm, one of those stops will occur right here in the ‘Ville at Louisville Slugger Field, home of its Triple-A affiliate the Louisville Bats. The event is free....

For more details go to:

http://www.straitpinkie.com/sports/r...field-tonight/

Turn Off Ads?