Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds are at payroll budget

Re: Reds are at payroll budget

For the record, here is what Bob Castellini said when he took over as Reds owner Friday, Jan. 20, 2006:

"We’re buying the Reds to win. Anything else is unacceptable. We will not rest until we put a winner on the field – year in and year out."

Other Castellini snippets from that day:

"The bottom line is that we are not going to rest until our fans are happy. My wife, Susie, has a pillow in our living room. Stitched into the pillow is the phrase, 'If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.’ In the Reds organization, if our fans ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy."

"I want to make a promise today to Reds fans, a promise from one fan to another: We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    For the record, here is what Bob Castellini said when he took over as Reds owner Friday, Jan. 20, 2006:

"We’re buying the Reds to win. Anything else is unacceptable. We will not rest until we put a winner on the field – year in and year out."

Other Castellini snippets from that day:

"The bottom line is that we are not going to rest until our fans are happy. My wife, Susie, has a pillow in our living room. Stitched into the pillow is the phrase, 'If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.’ In the Reds organization, if our fans ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy."

"I want to make a promise today to Reds fans, a promise from one fan to another: We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati."
    If you can't do it Bobby, then get the ---- out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    Your point?
    At first, I thought a misread your post. Maybe I still am.

The 4 players you mention have have varying degrees of success. Pokey Reece collected 2 gold glove awards. Aaron Boone had a promising though average career cut short through injury. Austin Kearns is doing quite well in Washington. And I am sure you are aware of Adam Dunn's situation.

Two of the four still doing quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post

The 4 players you mention have have varying degrees of success. Pokey Reece collected 2 gold glove awards. Aaron Boone had a promising though average career cut short through injury. Austin Kearns is doing quite well in Washington. And I am sure you are aware of Adam Dunn's situation.

I dont think I would go as far as to say Kearns is doing quite well and Dunn cant seem to find a job.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    If Oakland,Minnesota,Colorado, and Milwuakee can be competive in a small market on a semi regular bais, why can't the Reds!

At least we aren't the Pittsburgh Pirates...yet

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I dont think I would go as far as to say Kearns is doing quite well and Dunn cant seem to find a job.
    I consider playing Major League baseball into your 30's as doing quite well. I think he will.

Please. Austin kearns is terrible, pokey reese is terrible and aaron boon is terrible. If you dont know this, then you must think the reds can win 95 games this year.

If you consider a .240 average good, then Austin Kearns is great.

spending so much money ona closer(who is not great anyway) is like starting to build a football team with the long snapper

Of the former young four mentioned, Some doofus hitting coach convinced the solid Minors hitting Dunn that he should hit 60 HRs. He became the 2nd coming of Kong. Kearns was from almost day one in professional baseball injury prone, besides being a chronic whining baby. Boone was always streaky and un-reliable, Reese was counterfeit other than his "D". There is no guarantee this next group of prospects will fair any better, but I sense that Bruce is extremely dedicated to being good, and no level of horrible coaching can screw up Votto. That's a better start anyway. Now if at least a couple of the group of Valaika, Frazier, Dorn, Fransisco, Alonzo, etc., can progress on or ahead of schedule there might be a team here if not this year, hopefully the next two anyway.

The Cincinnati Reds, as you know them, will not be a professional franchise for much longer. If you look at all of the teams in the league, the Reds really do not deserve to have the franchise anymore. Despite the history, there is nothing present that keeps this team in Cincinnati. Nashville, Orlando, Jacksonville, Memphis, Vegas, Columbus....all of those cities can better support a team. Plus, new owners and an entire new staff would help too. by 2015....the REds will be out of Cincy...IMO
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-22-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: reduced font size to normal levels

Quote Originally Posted by JoshFogg View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds, as you know them, will not be a professional franchise for much longer. If you look at all of the teams in the league, the Reds really do not deserve to have the franchise anymore. Despite the history, there is nothing present that keeps this team in Cincinnati. Nashville, Orlando, Jacksonville, Memphis, Vegas, Columbus....all of those cities can better support a team. Plus, new owners and an entire new staff would help too. by 2015....the REds will be out of Cincy...IMO
    Why do you say this? Seems to me that getting a ballpark just a short 6 seasons ago all but guarantees to keep them in town a long time, and never once have I heard a rumor about the team moving. Even in lean years, they still draw decent, and from someone who lives in Pittsburgh and goes to all the Reds/Pirates game, I can vouch and say that Reds fans, even during this recent bad run, are still WAYY more into the game, and more knowledgable, than Pirates fans (although I guess 16 losing seasons will do that to ya.)
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-22-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: reduced font size to normal levels

It just doesnt make sense to keep the reds around to finish 5th every year. same for the pirates and the royals. all 3 of these teams are the worst in the league. the nationals get a pass. Sometimes, you need to shake things up if the owners refuse to themselves. KC, Pitt and Cincy....all should be relocated.

Move the Reds to a good town like Boston, they have the greatest fans ever

The fans aren't the problem, it's the people who have put a crappy product on the field for the last decade.

Turn Off Ads?