Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds are at payroll budget

Re: Reds are at payroll budget

There are other teams doing things a lot worse then the Reds.The Mariners just managed to loose 100 games with a payroll over 100 mil.The Tigers had the second highest payroll in baseball and had the same record as the Reds.I won't take the time to look it up but even in succeeding Tampa Bay didn't even draw as many fans to games as the Reds did.The Yankees season last year imo has to be considered more of a failure then the Reds season was last year.I know the Reds have not had a winning season in a long time but the current coach and GM has only been around a year.While I understand the Reds have been a bit of a joke for a while now its a much bigger joke to suggest they leave town.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    There are other teams doing things a lot worse then the Reds.The Mariners just managed to loose 100 games with a payroll over 100 mil.The Tigers had the second highest payroll in baseball and had the same record as the Reds.I won't take the time to look it up but even in succeeding Tampa Bay didn't even draw as many fans to games as the Reds did.The Yankees season last year imo has to be considered more of a failure then the Reds season was last year.I know the Reds have not had a winning season in a long time but the current coach and GM has only been around a year.While I understand the Reds have been a bit of a joke for a while now its a much bigger joke to suggest they leave town.

no. you are incorrect. The mariners have been to the playoffs twice in the past 8 years....the tigers were in the WS 3 years ago. Dont make excuses. The reads have not been in the post season in 13 seasons, they suck, they dont spend money. They need to be moved

Sorry Fogg.Nothing I said was wrong.Those were all facts except my opinion about the Yankees.

QUOTE=BUTLER REDSFAN;1771549]Hate to be a partypooper but you asked...Yes, I hope to eat crow but based on the last several years this is what I expect.. One or two no name-no excitement signing/trades then excuses on why we just couldnt sign anyone...then in June or July when we are 20 games out we will be cussing at the tv yet again saying "Now why we couldnt sign anyone again???[/QUOTE]........this was from a thread back during the winter meetings...I was hoping they would prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshFogg View Post
    no. you are incorrect. The mariners have been to the playoffs twice in the past 8 years....the tigers were in the WS 3 years ago. Dont make excuses. The reads have not been in the post season in 13 seasons, they suck, they dont spend money. They need to be moved
    12 of the 30 teams in MLB have lower payrolls then the Reds do.Should they all be relocated?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Is that the standard now? Just find somebody who is doing a worse job than the Reds? That sounds like a sure-fire way to never win to me! I do agree with you that the reds should not leave town...but

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Is that the standard now? Just find somebody who is doing a worse job than the Reds? That sounds like a sure-fire way to never win to me! I do agree with you that the reds should not leave town...but
    I didn't mean to make excuses for the Reds poor play.Just wanted to point out that all teams do poorly sometimes and that its no reason to call for the team to be relocated.If you get to that point you should stop watching and find another team to pull for and be careful doing so because you never know witch proud franchise could go into the tank like the Reds have lately.

I don't want to twist this thread around but I'd expect fans to want the Bengals to move waaaaaaaaayyyy before the Reds.

The improvement of the farm system alone makes things better than they've been in years. The Reds future is in the farm system and it's promising.

This is bummer news concernign the budget, but I agree that the future is in the farm system.

Just hope for at least a decent season and hopefully, next off season, we may have mroe room to shake things up.

I wax optimistic...

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    At least we aren't the Pittsburgh Pirates...yet
    They are heading that direction.
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

Hey

When you blow up the farm system it takes a long time to recover. The Reds farm system is actually pretty deep right now and headed in the right direction. Are you saying that the Reds ownership is stashing away huge profits rather than paying big salaries to free agents??? If they are even making a profit on the Reds, I would guess that it is tiny. Also, when you have one team that spends $200M a year on payroll (and stashes a huge profit) and another team that spends $30M a year, then it's the sport that is screwed up, not necessarily the Reds. I would rather see the Reds build up this team through the farm system than to overpay for someone who will be here for 2 years while the Reds compile a .500 record and don't make the playoffs anyway. I've been a Reds fan for over 30 years, I can wait a couple of more! Rome wasn't built in a day...

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    This is not pleasant news, but we as fans have to remember that the Reds are a business. Just like any business, they are feeling the pinch. Unfortunate, but really no different than the budget cuts being made by my employer for next year.
    I agree, but the Reds have to realize its a business, and businesses have to put out a product consumers want/need, esp in hard times, if they want said consumers to still purchase and keep business in, well, business.

It sure motivates me to get in the car, drive 31/2 hr, get scalped tickets and go to a game. The Reds sure aren't doing much to encourage the fans. I can think of a lot of things I could/should be spending $$ on, instead of Reds tickets. Now, I don't have too tough a choice to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    When you blow up the farm system it takes a long time to recover. The Reds farm system is actually pretty deep right now and headed in the right direction. ... I would rather see the Reds build up this team through the farm system than to overpay for someone who will be here for 2 years while the Reds compile a .500 record and don't make the playoffs anyway. I've been a Reds fan for over 30 years, I can wait a couple of more! Rome wasn't built in a day...
    I agree 100%. I don't want the Reds to contend for one year and than revert back to losing records. The best way to have sustained success (especially for a mid or small market team) is to have a top farm system.

Big Bob has really done some good things as far as spending money in the Latin countries signing players and spending money on the minor league system. Really would getting a bat put us over the top? If anything Big Bob and crew should have not resigned Weathers and should not have signed Tavares and should not have traded for Hernandez, they should have just gone young and cheap and let this team mature. Honestly looking to deal Harang and Arroyyo should be made a priority as well, go young and go cheap.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?