Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Caravan Reports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds Caravan Reports

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/f...um/caravan.jsp

MARTY BRENNAMAN'S BUS FAN STOPS (Free and open to the public)
    DATE LOCATION TIME (EST)

Thursday, Jan. 22 Charleston, WV (Charleston Towne Center) 3:15-4:45 p.m.
    Huntington, WV/Ashland, KY (Fannin Motors) 6:15-8:30 p.m.

Friday, Jan. 23 Bowling Green, KY (Greenwood Mall) 7:00-8:30 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 24 Nashville, TN (RiverGate Mall) 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
    Lexington, KY (Fayette Mall) 6:00-8:30 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 25 Maysville, KY (Maysville Conference Center) 12:15 a.m. - 1:45 p.m.

THOM BRENNAMAN'S BUS FAN STOPS (free and open to the public)
    DATE LOCATION TIME (EST)

Thursday, Jan. 22 Vienna, WV (Grand Central Mall) 4:30-7:00 p.m.

Friday, Jan. 23 Athens, OH (The Market on State) 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 24 Lima, OH (Lima Mall) 5:00-7:00 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 25 Columbus, OH (Polaris Fashion Place) 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

JEFF BRANTLEY'S BUS FAN STOPS (free and open to the public)
    DATE LOCATION TIME (EST)

Thursday, Jan. 22 Louisville, KY (Louisville Slugger Field) 4:30-7:00 p.m.

Friday, Jan. 23 Evansville, IN (Jillian's Billiards Club) 1:00-2:30 p.m.
    Bloomington, IN (College Mall) 5:30-7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 24 Indianapolis, IN (Castleton Square Mall) 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
    Muncie, IN (Stoops Automotive) 3:00-5:00 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 25 Dayton, OH (National Museum of the USAF) 11:15 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
    I'll be at Thom's tonight in Vienna at the Grand Central Mall, so I will try to provide some thoughts later on tonight. I thought this thread would be a good idea for those who are planning on attending to post some thoughts from the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: Reds Caravan Reports

Well, we know who the stars are. It's not Brandon Phillips' or Jay Bruce's or Joey Votto's bus stops. It's Marty's, Thom's and Brantley's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Looks like the Reds are keeping a blog of the action:

http://redlegs.mlblogs.com/

I will be at the Lexington stop on Saturday night. Other than BP, the lineup looks pretty 'underwhelming.'

I was really hoping that Yonder Alonzo would end up on this route.

This will probably be the first year I don't go. No player really makes me want to go like Bruce last year.

They are coming to my hometown Friday for the 1st time so I'm headed out just to check it out.

I just got back from the mall. I'm going to try and get some pictures from my phone off on a MicroSD card, but here's my take.

I was somewhat disappointed. It was supposed to start at 4:30 but began closer to 5:00. Thom came up and introduced everybody and there was a brief Q&A session that only consisted of five questions before they started signing autographs. You would have thought they would have taken more than five questions, especially considering the next stop is tomorrow night in Athens.

One involved the Reds pursuing Xavier Nady and not expanding the payroll. Jocketty responded that the Reds were going to head into Spring Training and see what happens.

I did manage to get a question in, asking if there were any pitching prospects that could make an impact, compared to the Reds abundance of position players. Jocketty said that they still had hope for Homer Bailey and were going to give Maloney and Thompson a shot as well, but it was something that they needed to improve upon.

The questions mostly were answered by Jocketty and Tom Browning. Chris Valakia and Jeff Keppinger just made an appearance and signed autographs. The crowd was down compared to last year as well, but they also had Jay Bruce in the mix as well.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I just got back from the mall. I'm going to try and get some pictures from my phone off on a MicroSD card, but here's my take.

I was somewhat disappointed. It was supposed to start at 4:30 but began closer to 5:00. Thom came up and introduced everybody and there was a brief Q&A session that only consisted of five questions before they started signing autographs. You would have thought they would have taken more than five questions, especially considering the next stop is tomorrow night in Athens.

One involved the Reds pursuing Xavier Nady and not expanding the payroll. Jocketty responded that the Reds were going to head into Spring Training and see what happens.

I did manage to get a question in, asking if there were any pitching prospects that could make an impact, compared to the Reds abundance of position players. Jocketty said that they still had hope for Homer Bailey and were going to give Maloney and Thompson a shot as well, but it was something that they needed to improve upon.

The questions mostly were answered by Jocketty and Tom Browning. Chris Valakia and Jeff Keppinger just made an appearance and signed autographs. The crowd was down compared to last year as well, but they also had Jay Bruce in the mix as well.
    Yeah, sounds like the same thing they did in Lexington last year. I'm not much on autographs (or listening to Marty) and I'm totally under-whelmed by the offseason thus far, so I'll probably just skip the visit Saturday evening.

Re: Reds Caravan Reports - Charleston, WV

I attended the Reds Caravan stop at the Town Centre Mall today. It was supposed to begin at 3:15, but the bus didn't arrive until 3:25 PM. I got there at 3:00 and the line wrapped from Macy's the entire width of the mall, around a planter, and down the mall. I waited patiently. Marty Brenneman, Chris Welsh, Lee May, and Brandon Phillips came walking in, by the crowd, and up to the makeshift stage. A couple of us yelled at Marty as he came in and he smiled and responded, "what's up guys?" Oh yeah, Gapper was there too.

After Marty introduced everyone (including an absent Brandon Phillips who mysterously disappeared for a little while), the line started moving as people brought bats, balls, etc for autographs. Marty mentioned that they were "Team A" of the caravan. He mentioned that Brantley and Grande were "Team B" and they had Yonder Alonzo with them and before the caravan was over, he might want to ask for a trade. Since I'm really not into autographs, i just followed the line to speak to Marty, Chris, Brandon and Lee May. There were some Reds officials there too, but pressed for time, i concentrated on those four.

Marty seems like a nice guy as does Chris. Both were talkative. Brandon smiled constantly and offered to sign my group ticket brochure. I asked about the 2009 Reds and got few answers, even if Suddenlink would be carrying the Fox Ohio 100+ game schedule. No one, including Welsh had an answer. Typical because the sponsor of the event was local radio station WCHS.

A nice trip. I recommend it when it comes to your town.

I was thinking of going to the one in Bowling Green tonight, but I can't decide. Marty, Lee May, and Bob Miller is not much. I was hoping for Votto or Bruce.

Maybe it will be worth it to get to speak with Phillips and get his autograph. I need to buy a couple baseballs before, if I go.

I actually would like to ask Bob Miller a few questions and maybe get a sense of the club's direction for the future. Anyone have any questions they would like asked?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Re: Reds Caravan Reports - Charleston, WV

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I asked about the 2009 Reds and got few answers, even if Suddenlink would be carrying the Fox Ohio 100+ game schedule. No one, including Welsh had an answer. Typical because the sponsor of the event was local radio station WCHS.

A nice trip. I recommend it when it comes to your town.
    Suddenlink carried the Reds on channel 2 last year. We had switched to Dish Network because they carried the Reds, but after Suddenlink started carrying the Reds and our service wasn't that great, we went back.

If I still lived in Kentucky, I wouldn't have minded going to the one at Jim Fannin's in Ashland. Of the three caravans, the one you saw definitely would have been the best one, just for Brandon Phillips being there.

I was glad to see Marty and crew stop at WUGO in Grayson. I grew up in Grayson and listened to Reds games through them, and I especially enjoyed Tim Carper.

I actually would like to ask Bob Miller a few questions and maybe get a sense of the club's direction for the future. Anyone have any questions they would like asked?
    I'd ask something about the evolution of the trade market -- has it become tougher to make trades, and, if so, why? Are GMs always under pressure to "make the money work"? Has the heightened media attention -- i.e., Internet cacophony -- made GMs gun shy? Are GMs too focussed on "winning" trades?

And, in a similar vein, aren't there more prospect trades where the two teams are trading from what look like surplusses in their systems?

Don't feel obliged, Jpup. These questions aren't really about the club's direction.....

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd ask something about the evolution of the trade market -- has it become tougher to make trades, and, if so, why? Are GMs always under pressure to "make the money work"? Has the heightened media attention -- i.e., Internet cacophony -- made GMs gun shy? Are GMs too focussed on "winning" trades?

And, in a similar vein, aren't there more prospect trades where the two teams are trading from what look like surplusses in their systems?

Don't feel obliged, Jpup. These questions aren't really about the club's direction.....
    I'm do want to ask why they haven't made trades for some young guys if they are done with signing free agents. They obviously can't win the division without spending a little money so it's time for a fire sale IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Just got back from Evansville. Very laid back. I walked in and the cowboy was right beside me and said I'm glad to get off that bus. I talked to him a few. We couldn't get a seat so we just went to the backside of the place where you couldn't see them and listened. George Grande led most of the talk and they all spoke. Told a story about Don Mattingly (local legend) about meeting Votto - pretty cool story. Brantly couldn't believe we didn't have radio local, but he didn't realize WLW reaches this far. Lots of talk about the young excitement and and the difference of teams from the past. Said praying and hoping for the long ball late in the game was a tough way to go and going forward they wanted to move to the model like the Dodgers or Atlanta who pitch and score enough runs to always be close in Sept. Dickerson is cool. Just nice to have youngsters who don't have that chip. I didn't do it, but if I wanted I could have got all their autos in 20 min. Had free schedules, baseball cards, etc. It was very nice. They have another stop tonight. Brantley did tell me Yonder is a great looking young kid and they were excited to have him. Dusty made fun of the young guys eating broccoli, etc. and how much they are sacrificing as he was eatching a big cheeseburger. LOL

Not much, but I thought I'd give a quick update as the crowds were very light. Next year I will make it earlier and watch it all and get the autos, but I was with a coworker.
    Last edited by Reds1; 01-23-2009 at 03:40 PM.

I'm going down to BG for the Caravan tonight. I'm going to try to find a couple baseballs at the mall to have signed. I am looking forward to meeting Brandon. I hope I get to ask a couple questions. I think I'll ask Marty why he hated Adam Dunn and still does.

Turn Off Ads?