Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Safari

Apple Safari

I've been using Apple Safari for a while now to do my web browsing and have a couple of questions for our tech gurus. I like using it and I'm sure the rest of you appreciate the integrated spellcheck feature.

However, it seems that both on my home computer and my work laptop the browser is pretty unstable. I usually encounter an error that kicks me out at least once per session. The question is: is this inherent to the browser software? If so, any tweaks that can eliminate/reduce the issue? If not, any ideas as to what might be causing the problem? I know that's a hard question to answer without knowing my other software installs, but I thought maybe there was a known interference between say Safari and Norton Anti-Virus (for example).

Second, any known email clients that work within Safari? I liked Opera really well for a while but it doesn't work on every site. If there was a plugin or something that worked with Safari to accomplish the same goal that'd be pretty slick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Apple Safari

I went away from foxfire to safari for a few days, but I came running back to ff. You don't like foxfire? It's got the spell checker.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Firefox is a tremendous client. Safari has always left me wanting, mainly due to less-than-stellar plug-in support. You can get Firefox here.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

High five!

There's no integrated email client for Safari.

You might be getting kicked off because Safari doesn't like to update Corey Patterson's wiki page 5 times per day.

I mainly use Firefox.

Safari loads applications and web elements in channels as opposed to from the top down like FF and IE, Googles browser uses its engine as well and is better IMO than safari. This means that the channel that doesn't download is kicking you off, thus I'd see if it occurs with the same type of content, also I'd check those pages vs FF.. but if you get kicked off due to something in safaroio and not FF then it's likely a settings issue, check the rights and such, start with them wide open and thin it out while checking teh content that causes issues.

As for email clients... I use Thunderbird myself.
    Last edited by westofyou; 02-20-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I have Safari on my Mac and my PC, but have pretty much gone exclusively to Firefox on both computers as well. Firefox is my favorite browser hands down on either computer. I still prefer Safari to IE, but pretty much anything is better than that piece of junk.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Safari certainly is not bad, but I just can't go back to it as I've used Firefox for years on Windows machines and with the inclusion of the Awesome Bar for Firefox, it makes Safari searching frustrating.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm way too dependent on Firefox plugins (AdBlock Plus! Gmail Manager!) to use Mac Safari for long stretches. Mrs. Bowie eschews plugins and prefers Safari, but she complains about the number of crashes from it, too.

I'm looking forward to Google Chrome for the Mac. I use it about 50% of the time on Windows and find it to be nice and snappy.
    /r/reds

lynx never crashes.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I've been using FireFox forever and like it a lot. Recently downed Google Chrome and have been using it. It's definitely less of a resource hog and seems to be quicker and speedier. I use it when I'm running another resource hog like Torrent Down loaders as it's less affected. When I run FireFox and a Torrent Client it really affects my PC performance.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I like mixing Chrome and Firefox... Firefox is great for plugins, greasemonkey, firebug etc etc but Chrome is quick and dirty.

Haunted by walks

The one thing I prefer Safari for is the way it handles RSS feeds. I use everything else, but Safari is my favorite because of that one thing.

I'm as big a machead as you will find and I don't even use Safari on my mac. It always leaves me wanting...I use a combination of Firefox and Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm as big a machead as you will find and I don't even use Safari on my mac. It always leaves me wanting...I use a combination of Firefox and Opera.
    I love using Opera's mini browser for my phone. It's so much faster than the browser that comes loaded onto the Instinct.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    lynx never crashes.
    There's one in every crowd.
    ............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Turn Off Ads?