Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations are out

Oscar Nominations are out

Ledger did get nominated for those who don't want to wade through everything just to see that.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/81acade.../nominees.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oscar Nominations are out

I was surprised that Ledger got a best supporting actor nomination instead of best actor.

Having only seen Wall-E, Slumdog Millionaire plus previews of others;

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke
    Best Actress: Meryl Streep
    Best Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin
    Best Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I was surprised that Ledger got a best supporting actor nomination instead of best actor.
    Christian Bale was the lead.

Some head scratchers there for sure. "The Reader" being nominated is a joke. That movie is terrible.
    Clint being snubbed for Gran Torino is a shame.
    The Wrestler (the song) should absolutely have been nominated. Just a great great song that really captures a fantastic movie perfectly.

I haven't seen the movie "Doubt". But it seems like any movie that receives nominations for Best Leading Actress (Streep), Best Supporting Actor (Hoffman), Best Supporting Actresses (Adams and Davis) would have to be a pretty darn good movie.

And I agree "The Reader" was not worth paying money to see.

Interesting to see Richard Jenkins nominated for the movie, The Visitor. My wife and I just got this from Netflix last week and he gives a very nice performance. Of course, I think Rourke or Penn win the trophy, but it's nice to see a guy like Jenkins get a nod.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Fairly weak year for films all around.

Not surprised to see the agenda-flick Milk get the nomination for best pic. I would've given its spot to WALL-E or The Dark Knight, personally.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Fairly weak year for films all around.

Not surprised to see the agenda-flick Milk get the nomination for best pic. I would've given its spot to WALL-E or The Dark Knight, personally.
    Agree with a week year. I would have picked Button, Gran Tornio, Doubt, Dark Knight and Slumdog.

Frost/Nixon really isn't a very good movie. It's not a bad movie and I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything special.

I have already given my thoughts on The Reader.

Milk is good, but I think was going for a certain "shock" factor that took away from the point. I also didn't like the narration.

How in the world did The Reader get nominated over The Dark Knight.

The Oscars are a joke.

They call me "chef"

I thought MILK was a very good and interesting film. I couldn't identify with some of the more sexual stuff of course but the relationship between Penn and Brolin was immensely entertaining and overall I didn't let my own politics or beliefs keep me from enjoying it. Also the final scene was an amazing visual.

Robert Downey Jr. gets nominated for "Tropic Thunder"!!!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'm very surprised Springsteen did not get nominated for "The Wrestler" after the song won at the Golden Globes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSvJvSwmd4

Senor Votto

Where the heck is Gran Torino?

They call me "chef"

As entertaining as Gran Torino was, it had a very small scope compared to the big epic, serious dramas that usually get nominated. Also beyond Eastwood, the acting was very bad, about on par with a Hallmark movie of the week. I still really enjoyed it but I wouldn't put it in the same "serious contender" category as Doubt, Benjamin Button, MILK, Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Rev Road, Slumdog Millionaire etc. etc. Maybe if they had a "crowd pleaser" category I could see it getting nominated and winning.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How in the world did The Reader get nominated over The Dark Knight.

The Oscars are a joke.
    I only know one person who has seen "The Reader" and he said it was rather pedestrian. I don't know -- I honestly hadn't heard any buzz about the film prior to today, and I had to actively question my film-buff friends to find out anything about it.

Like I said earlier, it's a really weak crop of films -- probably the weakest since 2004.

Speaking personally, I hated "Milk" (the film had all the subtlety of a death metal concert), "Slumdog Millionaire" was OK but failed to hold my interest, and "Benjamin Button" was about 45 minutes too long. Haven't seen "Frost / Nixon" yet -- that's on my to-do list. Probably won't see "The Reader" until DVD.

It's kind of a sham, IMO, that two of the best-reviewed films of 2008 ("WALL-E" and "The Dark Knight") are being actively snubbed for being popular, high grossing films that also happened to be critically acclaimed.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?