Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oscar Nominations are out

Re: Oscar Nominations are out

Yup, CE, that was my point, really in RE: Wall-E and TDK.

It's like these snooty people who decide the Oscar noms automatically write off films that are commercial as well as critical successes. It is just lame.

On another note: I haven't wanted an actor to win as much as Mickey Rourke since Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought Doubt got just as snubbed as DK and WALL-E, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    I thought Doubt got just as snubbed as DK and WALL-E, if not more.
    Doubt is without a doubt (ha?) the greater omission.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    On another note: I haven't wanted an actor to win as much as Mickey Rourke since Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.

Now there's a movie I couldn't understand what all the buzz was about. I'm still trying to wake up from Lost in Translation.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

I agree with all of you about THE DARK KNIGHT. Seems like it should at least get a nod under the TITANIC "cultural phenomenon" clause. There was no movie that was talked about more this year. It might be the best straight-up blockbuster ever made just because it managed to be so culturally relevant and so entertaining at the same time. I'd also choose it over BENJAMIN BUTTON, which just seems to me like an echo of FORREST GUMP. I'm sure Ledger will win, though. That will be DK's consolation prize.

My list would have been as follows:

THE DARK KNIGHT
    MILK
    DOUBT
    SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
    THE WRESTLER

I think Aronofsky got the shaft far more than Clint, who has already been recognized multiple times at the Oscars. DOUBT, I thought, was much stronger cinematically than most critics gave it credit for. It takes deft sleight of hand to make an "actor's movie" a great movie--and there are a couple of really ingenious moments in there that really make the film hit you in the gut.

I haven't seen THE READER, but the previews make it look like just another redemptive Holocaust film. I'm sure Winslet is as radiant as her character is troubled, but I really thought the film would only get an actor nomination along with a nod for adapted screenplay.

That said, SLUMDOG will likely win. And I can't say I have a problem with that.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Re: Wall-E, I think animated films are not eligible for Best Picture. The Academy gave them their own category after Beauty and the Beast was nominated. Not sure if it's a rule or just an unspoken standard.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Re: Wall-E, I think animated films are not eligible for Best Picture. The Academy gave them their own category after Beauty and the Beast was nominated. Not sure if it's a rule or just an unspoken standard.
    My understanding is that they remain eligible for best picture even though they also qualify for best animated film -- much like foreign films can be nominated (see: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) for both Best Pic and Best Foreign Language Film.

However, it's pretty much an unspoken rule that they all get dumped together into the kiddie pool for the Best Animated Film oscar. While it screws really good animated movies, like WALL-E / Pixar-type movies or older Miyazaki films, that might otherwise be worthy of a best pic nod in a weak year, it at least gives them some seat at the table. Otherwise it'd be pretty hard to get voted for anything -- seeing as the majority of the academy is made up of actors, which are the one thing an animated movie doesn't need much of.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Am I the only one who saw more Reagan than Nixon in Langella's performance? Seemed to play him MUCH too old. Alfred disagrees, and he's the movie critic, but that's how I saw it.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    As entertaining as Gran Torino was, it had a very small scope compared to the big epic, serious dramas that usually get nominated. Also beyond Eastwood, the acting was very bad, about on par with a Hallmark movie of the week. I still really enjoyed it but I wouldn't put it in the same "serious contender" category as Doubt, Benjamin Button, MILK, Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Rev Road, Slumdog Millionaire etc. etc. Maybe if they had a "crowd pleaser" category I could see it getting nominated and winning.
    I thought the acting by the young girl neighbor was excellent...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

And the winner is...

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
    Best Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
    Best Actor: Sean Penn, Milk
    Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader
    Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
    Best Supporting Actress: Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Best Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire
    Best Original Screenplay: Milk
    Best Animated Feature: Wall-E
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Wall-E, for Best Picture? It wasn't that good.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Wall-E, for Best Picture? It wasn't that good.
    No, Wall-E was for Best Animated Feature, not Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

I thought Hugh Jackman did a very good job. His "spectacular" he made up because of budget constraints was lots of fun, particular bringing Anne Hathaway up to play Nixon to his Frost. Best line of his monologue was addressed to Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt after he'd prattled on about nothing and then said, "I don't have a joke for either of you, I'm just contractually obligated to mention your names five times." He did throw out Pitt's name later in the show.

I liked Kate Winslet's line about Meryl Streep, acknowledging that she and the other Best Actress nominees were in awe to be in the same company as her and then threw out, "You're just going to have to such up to that, Meryl".

The various wins for Slumdog Millionaire were nice and seeing the whole cast up there was enjoyable.

For the first time in forever, my wife and I had seen four of the five top picture nominees (we hadn't see The Reader).

Penelope Cruz mentioned her director, Woody Allen, in her speech and thanked him for writing such great roles for women. It got me thinking about how many actresses have won Academy Awards in his movies. It's now five with Diane Keaton winning a Best Actress award for Annie Hall and four others winning Best Supporting Actress: Diane Wiest (twice), Mira Sorvino and now Cruz. Interesting and I don't know how that stacks up with other directors. I saw at least one more with a nomination (Mariel Hemingway).

The Baseball Bookstore

How on earth did you catch who Penelope Cruz thanked? I haven't seen 6year olds talk that fast.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Wasn't a fan of a lot of the winners but I can see why they won.
    I really wish Mickey Rourke would have won though.

I thought Hugh Jackman did a good job. I laughed quite a bit at his opening number.

The way they introduced the actors was kind of cool although it was really long and I lost interest through many of their pump up speaches.

Turn Off Ads?