Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother says McGwire used steroids

Brother says McGwire used steroids

McGwire's brother says ex-slugger used steroids
    Mark McGwire might not want to discuss anything that's ever happened in the past, particularly when it involves hypodermic needles, Jose Canseco, and his bottom. But his brother is apparently ready to sell him out. Word is that Jay McGwire has been shopping a book that gives the lowdown on his big brother's steroids usage. He says he's the one who got his brother started on the stuff after he constructed himself into a bodybuilder with the juice that he bought with the $150,000 he made from an insurance settlement that came to him after he lost an eye in a BB gun incident. Youch. (New York Daily News)
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brother says McGwire used steroids

Twenty years from now there'll probably be an ex player that has a book about playing in the steroid era. It will never end.

Is it wrong that I actually feel a little sorry for McGwire?

No, I do too, I assume one day he will admit it!
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Why would you feel sorry for him? He chose to cheat. Him saying he doesn't want to talk about the past was as good as admitting it.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Yeah he did and he won't be in the HOF cuz of it. But I'd just like it if people could move on and not drag this stuff on forever. That's all. But if there's a buck to be made...

I need to learn more about Jay McGwire before I can reach any sort of conclusion about this.

I was at McGwire's 1st game and saw his first 3 seasons while living in the Bay Area then. I skipped work many a day to watch the afternoon games at the Coliseum.

I find it very hard to believe that McGwire "started" on steroids in the year that his brother claims. I've seen guys on steroids since I was in gyms back in 1975 and it's easy to see the difference between those on them and those that lift weights naturally. McGwire's body was not built naturally. He used them in the '80's.

shocking?..not even a little bit
    Reds fan since 1970

this just in.... Jay McGwire is now reporting that the sky is blue

He ain't heavy; he's my brother. (And I just threw him under the bus)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He ain't heavy; he's my brother. (And I just threw him under the bus for whatever bookdeal I can weasel)
    completed it. I would love to be at the McGwire house at Easter .
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Is it wrong that I actually feel a little sorry for McGwire?
    Yes

Doesn't anyone suspect that this might be a PR ploy? That Mark really wants to fess up to possibly improve his HOF chances, and that he (and of course his agents/handlers) decided to go the circuitous route through his brother? That's the first thing that came to mind for me.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    Doesn't anyone suspect that this might be a PR ploy? That Mark really wants to fess up to possibly improve his HOF chances, and that he (and of course his agents/handlers) decided to go the circuitous route through his brother? That's the first thing that came to mind for me.
    Wouldnt it make him look better if instead of beating around the bush he just took the John Deere mower and drive right over the bush (and came out himself and went the Andy Pettite apology tour)? This sort of reminds me more of the Pete Rose and that bookie/ "Friend".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Yeah people don't make a big deal out of Giambi anymore cuz he fessed up. This just shows that McGwire doesn't have a 'perfect' family either.

Turn Off Ads?