Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dusty! You just don't get it!

Oh Dusty! You just don't get it!

From trent's interview:

CTR: What role to you see for Willy Taveras?

DB: His role is he’s our centerfielder and he’s our leadoff man, which is what we were looking for. The fact that he’s so young (28), he’s going to get better. I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. A guy who had whatever he had, 30-doubles and double-digits in triples and 60 stolen bases. He’s in scoring position a whole bunch of times.

This is the sort of thing that leads to Patterson leading off for over half the season. Does the man not realize that Taveras had more steals than runs scored? How about he couldn't have been in scoring position that much, if he didn't score more than that with Holiday and Atkins hitting behind him. He doesn't even know how bad Willy was at getting extra base hits. Well at least, he's not clogging up those bases!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oh Dusty! You just don't get it!

But hey, at least we got his speed! Ya know, because that is SO important in the cavernous outfield of Great American Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    From trent's interview:

CTR: What role to you see for Willy Taveras?

DB: His role is hes our centerfielder and hes our leadoff man, which is what we were looking for. The fact that hes so young (28), hes going to get better. I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. A guy who had whatever he had, 30-doubles and double-digits in triples and 60 stolen bases. Hes in scoring position a whole bunch of times.

This is the sort of thing that leads to Patterson leading off for over half the season. Does the man not realize that Taveras had more steals than runs scored? How about he couldn't have been in scoring position that much, if he didn't score more than that with Holiday and Atkins hitting behind him. He doesn't even know how bad Willy was at getting extra base hits. Well at least, he's not clogging up those bases!
    "in-scoring postion percentage" LMAO Dusty should really try not to be an idiot when he speaks, I have a new sig now.
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Having a life is overrated.

Manager of the year 3 times.
    Give him a good team and they'll win, give him crap, and they'll play like last year.
    He may not be the greatest ever, but we haven't won since jack mckeon, so hearin Dusty get blamed for stuff gets a little old.

Even if Dusty's way was the correct way to evaluate a leadoff hitter, he's not even in the ballpark on Willy's stats. He actually had only 15 doubles and two triples last year.

Double-digits in triples??? Dusty must be talking about Willy's entire career. In 4+ major league seasons (2,170 at bats), he has 13 triples and 60 doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Give him a good team and they'll win, give him crap, and they'll play like last year.
    He may not be the greatest ever, but we haven't won since jack mckeon, so hearin Dusty get blamed for stuff gets a little old.
    Helps to have the greatest player of a generation and another HOF to put in the middle of that wreck of a lineup like he had in SF. They won inspite of him.

He's making stuff up to try and cover the move. The extra base hits (or lack there of) was one of the big reasons Tavares screamed of the stupidity. If you cant hit for at least 30 doubles and 10 triples in COORS youre not going to do it ANYWHERE. He cant hit his way out of a wet paper bag or having trouble hitting HRs in a LL Field. Anyone ought to be able to see that.
    Last edited by Slyder; 01-22-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Word! The greatest of managers would have a hard time winning with these guys we have had through here.

I don't blame Dusty for this. Isn't it the GM's job to evaluate performance and understand stats when making aquisitions? Isn't it the GM's job to "coach" the manager on these things when putting together a team.

Dusty's job is to maintain a cohesive club house, lead the guys, keep spirits up, motivate, make sure people are ready to play, understand fatigue and injuries and manage that process, work with the young players and help their development, help their psyche when they hit slumps, ask the right veteran guy to mentor the right young guy, make out the lineup (ok room for improvement here), and manage the bullpen. He seems pretty effective at these responsibilities. Better than Narron, better than Miley.

What else is he supposed to say about Taveras? That's who Walt gave him for center field. Walt is the one I question here. Walt should understand the OBP issue. Walt should understand the chances for better results with a Dickerson/Hairston platoon and spend money instead on a left fielder. That's the head scratcher. I thought Walt did understand those things!

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    Double-digits in triples??? Dusty must be talking about Willy's entire career. In 4+ major league seasons (2,170 at bats), he has 13 triples and 60 doubles.

Good work Dusty. I'm not one to usually complain about him but that is just ignorant.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Dude needs to be fired for just being so dumb so many times. This isnt the only time hes just either flat out made crap up or lied in hopes that no one will check if he was lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    "in-scoring postion percentage" LMAO Dusty should really try not to be an idiot when he speaks, I have a new sig now.
    Lets say he steals 50 bases and they all come when hes on 1st. He might be in scoring position 60 times next year

I agree with Dusty that it's more important for the #1 hitter (and, to me, the #2 hitter) to get to 2nd Base, than it is to get to 1st Base. I evaluate them exactly the same way.

However, if their ability to get to 1st Base is "putrid", as was the case last year with Taveras and the last several years with Patterson, then that player negates the positives about his ability to get to 2nd Base.

In this case, Dickerson would be a much better Center Fielder and Hairston can play Left, while the two of them would be a good 1-2 in the leadoff spots. If one slumps, he can move to #8 until he's out of his slump.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-22-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I agree with Dusty that it's more important for the #1 hitter (and, to me, the #2 hitter) to get to 2nd Base, than it is to get to 1st Base.
    Its just a shame you have to get to 1st base before you get to 2nd base 100% of the time. Not to mention he thinks taveras gets to 2nd base a high amount of times when thats just not remotely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Its just a shame you have to get to 1st base before you get to 2nd base 100% of the time. Not to mention he thinks taveras gets to 2nd base a high amount of times when thats just not remotely true.
    I didn't get to finish my post before I accidentally hit the return key. But, I agree with you.

Let us hope we hit lightening in a bottle with Taveras, however unlikely if you go back and read the Denver Post articles from last season.

Turn Off Ads?