Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Caravan - Charleston, WV - Jan. 22, 2009

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds Caravan - Charleston, WV - Jan. 22, 2009

I attended the Reds Caravan stop at the Town Centre Mall today. It was supposed to begin at 3:15, but the bus didn't arrive until 3:25 PM. I got there at 3:00 and the line wrapped from Macy's the entire width of the mall, around a planter, and down the mall. I waited patiently. Marty Brenneman, Chris Welsh, Lee May, and Brandon Phillips came walking in, by the crowd, and up to the makeshift stage. A couple of us yelled at Marty as he came in and he smiled and responded, "what's up guys?" Oh yeah, Gapper was there too.

After Marty introduced everyone (including an absent Brandon Phillips who mysterously disappeared for a little while), the line started moving as people brought bats, balls, etc for autographs. Marty mentioned that they were "Team A" of the caravan. He mentioned that Brantley and Grande were "Team B" and they had Yonder Alonzo with them and before the caravan was over, he might want to ask for a trade. Since I'm really not into autographs, i just followed the line to speak to Marty, Chris, Brandon and Lee May. There were some Reds officials there too, but pressed for time, i concentrated on those four.

Marty seems like a nice guy as does Chris. Both were talkative. Brandon smiled constantly and offered to sign my group ticket brochure. I asked about the 2009 Reds and got few answers, even if Suddenlink would be carrying the Fox Ohio 100+ game schedule. No one, including Welsh had an answer. Typical because the sponsor of the event was local radio station WCHS.

A nice trip. I recommend it when it comes to your town.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Re: Reds Caravan - Charleston, WV - Jan. 22, 2009

Thanks for the report WV.

I was planning on going but my Grandma is in the hospital so I ended up going there to see her. Family comes first. It's all right though, I went to Redsfest last month ... and as much as I like the Caravan, it ain't nothing compared to Redsfest.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Thanks for the report WV.

I was planning on going but my Grandma is in the hospital so I ended up going there to see her. Family comes first. It's all right though, I went to Redsfest last month ... and as much as I like the Caravan, it ain't nothing compared to Redsfest.
    I almost didn't go. It was a busy day and I almost said it wasn't worth it, but I'm glad I did. I got to talk to a Reds HOF'er a Golden Glover (George Grande would be proud), Marty and Chris and put up with Gapper (I attract weirdos for some reason). There wasn't much else going on--mostly kids with their parents wanting autographs, but worth the trip nonetheless. Sorry you didn't get to come.

I plan to go to Redsfest next year and bring my son. He's probably about your age. One of the biggest impressions of the day was how huge Lee Mays' hands are. Wow.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I plan to go to Redsfest next year and bring my son. He's probably about your age. One of the biggest impressions of the day was how huge Lee Mays' hands are. Wow.
    I met May at a Reds HOF meet-and-greet thing a few years ago.

That's exactly what I remembered about him also. His hands are freaking gigantic.

Man I wish I could have went today b/c I always wanted Marty's autogragh.I missed out on the old left handers autogragh and it looks like im going to miss out on Martys.

How often does these guys come to West Virginia??
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

The fact that Brandon Phillips is still caravanning despite having signed a big, long-term contract last winter says a lot about him and the place that the fans in Reds country hold for him.

Phillips being on the "Southern Tour" with Marty Brennaman, Chris Welsh and former Reds slugge Lee "TheBig Bopper" May, among others, calls to mind the caravan trip of another gifted Reds second baseman many years ago.

Joe Morgan was newly arrived as a Red in 1972 when he hoped aboard the bus to Charleston, W.Va. Somewhere along the way the Reds party encountered a significant snowstorm. Finally arriving at his destination many harrowing hours later, an incredulous Morgan asked, “You mean to tell me people travel all the way from here to go to Reds games?”

The way I've heard that quote, it had a few expletive deleteds in it, which is probably more accurate given baseball players' fondness for hyphenated profanity and blue language. But I can definitely see (and hear) Morgan saying it. Charleston IS a long way away, but it says something about the "pull" of the Reds that they continue to draw from the Mountaineer State.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

The fact that Brandon Phillips is still caravanning despite having signed a big, long-term contract last winter says a lot about him and the place that the fans in Reds country hold for him.
    Good point. I can recall when it seemed as if Pete Rose made the trip every winter back in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Phillips being on the "Southern Tour" with Marty Brennaman, Chris Welsh and former Reds slugge Lee "TheBig Bopper" May, among others, calls to mind the caravan trip of another gifted Reds second baseman many years ago.

Joe Morgan was newly arrived as a Red in 1972 when he hoped aboard the bus to Charleston, W.Va. Somewhere along the way the Reds party encountered a significant snowstorm. Finally arriving at his destination many harrowing hours later, an incredulous Morgan asked, “You mean to tell me people travel all the way from here to go to Reds games?”

The way I've heard that quote, it had a few expletive deleteds in it, which is probably more accurate given baseball players' fondness for hyphenated profanity and blue language. But I can definitely see (and hear) Morgan saying it. Charleston IS a long way away, but it says something about the "pull" of the Reds that they continue to draw from the Mountaineer State.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

That ain't nothing. I used travel over 5 hours from southeastern Kentucky to watch the Reds. A few times I went to Cincy and back in the same day.
    Lee May is a great guy. Back in the 80's I met him at an Appalachian League game in Johnson City,Tn,that his son was playing in. He was nice enough to sign a baseball for my nephews and was very cordial and pleasant to us.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?