Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mel Kiper's Big Board

Re: Mel Kiper's Big Board

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    He makes more $$$$ doing what he is doing now.
    But how about the ego?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Lions can't be foolish enough to take a QB, an underclassman QB to boot, when there are so many pressing needs (i.e. both lines).

Oh, wait...it's the Lions.

(Please MM, please please choose wisely)

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    The Lions can't be foolish enough to take a QB, an underclassman QB to boot, when there are so many pressing needs (i.e. both lines).

Oh, wait...it's the Lions.

Its the Lions, they are going to draft Crabtree #1 right?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    He's gone...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    He's gone...
    Martin Mayhew isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Martin Mayhew isn't.
    Oops. I thought he meant Matt Millen!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think Jenkins is going to be a great NFL player, but do the Bengals really need to draft another cornerback?
    Nope.

What they need is a pass rush -- something they've been lacking for close to 20 years. Their D-line is hideous, and the results show in both the run and pass defense.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    What they need is a pass rush -- something they've been lacking for close to 20 years. Their D-line is hideous, and the results show in both the run and pass defense.
    They definitely need more of a pass rush, but their #1 priority is to protect Carson Palmer. Drafting a tackle in the first round is a must. Then they should get a D-Lineman in the 2nd or 3rd, preferably the 2nd with a Center in the 3rd.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I think Jenkins is going to be a great NFL player, but do the Bengals really need to draft another cornerback?
    It would be nice to have 1 shutdown CB, since they currently have none.

Jospeh is solid, but not a shutdown, and I think Hall could excel as a nickelback when he's not required to have to be on that island covering 1s or 2s. Instead, he can jam the slot guy and use his speed on nickel DB blitzes.

... but as golf shirt said, we could trade one of Hall or Joseph to address other needs if we drafted Jenkins. But if it were up to me, I'd draft Jenkins and keep both Hall and Joseph.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    It would be nice to have 1 shutdown CB, since they currently have none.
    There are very few true "shutdown" CBs in the NFL anymore. Part of that is due to the proliferation of the "Tampa 2" defensive scheme -- which reduces the need for a CB to be able to cover a receiver 1 on 1 in space. Part of the reason is that WRs like Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald have become so big and strong while retaining their speed that it's difficult to find DBs who can cover them alone. It also doesn't help that the current state of NFL officiating is designed to handcuff the defensive secondary and encourage explosive plays in the passing game.

The better strategy, IMO, is to get good (not great) CBs and then concentrate on improving the front 7 so that pressure gets to the QB before downfield routes have time to develop and that any throws that are made are made under pressure.

The reality of the modern NFL is that any competent QB will beat a defensive secondary and find an open man if he has enough time to make his progressions. Disrupt the timing with pressure and only the best of the best will be able to consistently make plays.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There are very few true "shutdown" CBs in the NFL anymore. Part of that is due to the proliferation of the "Tampa 2" defensive scheme -- which reduces the need for a CB to be able to cover a receiver 1 on 1 in space. Part of the reason is that WRs like Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald have become so big and strong while retaining their speed that it's difficult to find DBs who can cover them alone. It also doesn't help that the current state of NFL officiating is designed to handcuff the defensive secondary and encourage explosive plays in the passing game.

The better strategy, IMO, is to get good (not great) CBs and then concentrate on improving the front 7 so that pressure gets to the QB before downfield routes have time to develop and that any throws that are made are made under pressure.

The reality of the modern NFL is that any competent QB will beat a defensive secondary and find an open man if he has enough time to make his progressions. Disrupt the timing with pressure and only the best of the best will be able to consistently make plays.
    Completely agreed...

I don't know about money but if Kiper really worked for an NFL team he'd have to be accountable for what he says. Who needs that? Someone ought to go back and grade out his ratings several years later. That'd be an interesting article to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't know about money but if Kiper really worked for an NFL team he'd have to be accountable for what he says. Who needs that? Someone ought to go back and grade out his ratings several years later. That'd be an interesting article to read.
    especially on Jeff George. That was one I knew he was way wrong on.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Bears need a WR and Kiper has them drafting a DE. Great. Since we already have 3 talented pash rushers off the edge let's add another. Typical Jerry Angelo move.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Completely agreed...
    Ditto! And the Bengals have 2 decent pass rushing DE's unfortunately neither stayed healthy and there wasn't much behind them. I think in my gut I believe if this front 4 could stay relatively healthy we'd get enough of a rush, Odom, Peko, Sims, Geathers. But if one or more goes down we don't have the depth there to step up without losing pressure. That's why a guy like Aaron Maybin could very well be the pick. I can certainly see the logic in taking an OT but how is a rookie LT gonna provide any better protection than what we already have, assuming of course Levi can get back and healthy. I seriously doubt they are gonna cut Levi and take a 5 million dollar hit on the cap, because they will have to seeing as how there is no cap next season.

Here's how I see it working out.

Re-Sign TJ - Not sure of the paremeters but I can't see them letting him walk, he's Carson's got to guy and security blanket.

Re-Sign Ghiacuic - I know he has his problems I for one think he stinks at run blocking, but you know how they work and at least he can pass block pretty well. They are not gonna wait around to see if Jason Brown of Baltimore is a FA and beyond him it's all older or lesser players in FA. And they are not likely to let a Rookie start there. If nothing else, if they get TJ signed early enough they can franchise Ghiacuic for a year and draft a replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Draft Aaron Maybin or Rey Muauluga maybe even Brian Orakpo to add to the pass rush.

the O-line will look something like this:

LT - Levi/Collins
    LG - Livings/Kooistra/Barton
    C - Ghiacuic
    RG - Williams
    RT - Whitworth

Or this:

LT - Levi
    LG - Whitworth
    C - Ghiacuic
    RG - Williams
    RT - Collins

On 3rd and long the defense will look like this:

DE - Maybin
    DT - Sims
    DT - Geathers
    DE - Odom

The only real question for me is will they re-sign Benson or go with another RB like a Derrick Ward or someone through the draft or both. I have a feeling Benson will want too much and with TJ and Ghiacuic back at pretty high salaries that spot is the most easily filled cheaper. I believe we should and will draft at minimum 2 OL but I don't see it in the 1st, just my gut.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?