5. Mark Sanchez	Jr.	QB	USC	
    6. Jason Smith	Sr.	OT	Baylor	
    7. Malcolm Jenkins	Sr.	CB	Ohio State	
    8. Eugene Monroe	Sr.	OT	Virginia	
    9. Jeremy Maclin	So.	WR	Missouri	
    10. B.J. Raji	Sr.	DT	Boston College	
    11. Brian Orakpo	Sr.	DE	Texas	
    12. Aaron Maybin	So.	DE	Penn St.	
    13. Chris "Beanie" Wells	Sr.	RB	Ohio St.	
    14. Brandon Pettigrew	Sr.	TE	Oklahoma St.	
    15. Knowshown Moreno	So.	RB	Georgia	
    16. Percy Harvin	Jr.	WR	Florida	
    17. Vontae Davis	Jr.	CB	Illinois	
    18. Everette Brown	Jr.	DE	Florida St.	
    19. Rey Maualuga	Sr.	LB	USC	
    20. Tyson Jackson	Sr.	DE	LSU	
    21. D.J. Moore	Jr.	CB	Vanderbilt	
    22. Brian Cushing	Sr.	LB	USC	
    23. Peria Jerry	Sr.	DT	Mississippi	
    24. Larry English	Sr.	LB	No. Illinois	
    25. Michael Oher	Sr.	OT	Mississippi
    and Mel's top 16 mock
    Code:
    Mel Kiper's first round 1-16
    Pick 	Team 	Player 	Position 	College
    1	Detroit	Matthew Stafford	QB	Georgia
    2	St. Louis	Andre Smith	OT	Alabama
    3	Kansas City	Mark Sanchez	QB 	USC
    4 	Seattle	Michael Crabtree 	WR 	Texas Tech
    5 	Cleveland 	Aaron Curry	LB	Wake Forest
    6 	Cincinnati	Jason Smith 	OT	Baylor
    7	Oakland	Jeremy Maclin 	WR	Missouri
    8 	Jacksonville 	Eugene Monroe 	OT 	Virginia
    9 	Green Bay 	Malcolm Jenkins 	CB	Ohio St.
    10 	San Francisco	Aaron Maybin 	DE/OLB	Penn St.
    11 	Buffalo	Brandon Pettigrew	TE	Oklahoma St.
    12 	Denver	B.J. Raji 	DT	Boston College
    13 	Washington	Brian Orakpo	DE	Texas
    14 	New Orleans 	Vontae Davis 	CB 	Illinois
    15	Houston 	Everette Brown 	DE	Florida St.
    16 	San Diego 	Knowshon Moreno 	RB	Georgia

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mel Kiper's Big Board

Smith? He is the least experienced of the tackles, and has issues with pass blocking and run blocking. He is the Drew Stubbs of tackles, He has the base talent but the production doesn't match his tools yet. I don't like that mock at all.

One thing I do like for the Bengals is that James Laurinaitis is slipping on these draft boards. So many Jrs and Draft eligible sophomores came out that he may be available when the Bengals pick in the second round.

My new wish list.
    1. Tackle
    2. Laurinaitis
    3. Center
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

This is a very talented draft. And the Bengals are in good position to get 2 first-round type players.

I would like to see them take a tackle as well in the first round. I'm hoping they can get a really good Center in the 2nd or 3rd round. A Defensive Lineman or Linebacker would be ideal with the other pick around the Center.

So, with that being said, I expect the Bengals to draft Beanie in round 1, a cornerback in round 2, and a WR in the 3rd.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    This is a very talented draft. And the Bengals are in good position to get 2 first-round type players.

I would like to see them take a tackle as well in the first round. I'm hoping they can get a really good Center in the 2nd or 3rd round. A Defensive Lineman or Linebacker would be ideal with the other pick around the Center.

So, with that being said, I expect the Bengals to draft Beanie in round 1, a cornerback in round 2, and a WR in the 3rd.
    I agree 100%

This is such a talented draft it's scary. I'm really curious about how the Bungles will screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    This is such a talented draft it's scary. I'm really curious about how the Bungles will screw it up.
    If Kiper's pick holds true, that may be the answer.

Kiper puts way more stock into his rankings than other NFL teams. If a team bypasses one of his top rated players, that player is the focus of attention until they are finally picked. Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn off the top of my head, and I am sure there are others.

That being said, I think Orapko goes higher than 13th. Jermaine Gresham should go higher than Brandon Pettigrew as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Kiper puts way more stock into his rankings than other NFL teams. If a team bypasses one of his top rated players, that player is the focus of attention until they are finally picked. Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn off the top of my head, and I am sure there are others.

That being said, I think Orapko goes higher than 13th. Jermaine Gresham should go higher than Brandon Pettigrew as well.
    I know I say it every year but if Kiper was really as good as he thinks he is he would be a player personnel guy for an NFL franchise.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I know I say it every year but if Kiper was really as good as he thinks he is he would be a player personnel guy for an NFL franchise.
    He makes more $$$$ doing what he is doing now.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I was under the impression Gresham stayed in school, must have missed that one.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Could be the reason why. I hate wikipedia sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

FJM's Least Fun Annual Tradition

Mel Kiper, Jr. is Planet Earth's most famous NFL draft analyst. This is what he's done the past two years. We know because we wrote these posts.

---

Monday, May 01, 2006:

Mel Kiper Jr's draft grades are in, for every team in the NFL.

For those who don't have ESPN Insider, every single grade is between a C and a B+. It's the old "on a scale of 4 to 7" spectrum. Thanks Mel! See you in 363!

---

Tuesday, May 01, 2007:

OMG He Did It Again!

NFL Draft time. That's right, you heard me. NFL Draft.

Remember May 1 of last year, when dak pointed out that Mel Kiper Jr. gave every team a grade between a C and a B+?

Mel did it again. This year, no one was worse than a C- and no one was better than a B+. The article should be titled "On a scale of B to C, how gutless is Mel Kiper, Jr.?"

---

So here we are. 2008. Mel Kiper Jr. sits down at his Apple Lisa (he's old-school) to write his annual Draft Day grades column -- the single most-read piece of writing he'll do all year. He digs deep in his soul to assign the most perfect letter-grade assessment of each team's performance on this, the day he was born to live, experience, and grade. Draft Day is Christmas, the Super Bowl, and 9/11 all rolled into one for Mel Kiper, Jr. Mel Kiper, Sr. put him on his knee when Mel Jr. was a boy and told him, "Son, there is a sport called football where grown men play a pushing game involving an oblong fun-ball. You will not be one of those men. There will also be men who select the best among these other men, the best 'football players.' You will not be one of those men. You will be the man who judges the men selecting the other men. You will write one article a year that anyone will read, wherein you assign a letter grade evaluating the performance of the men selecting the other men. You were destined for the role of giving these grades. Your mind will be honed like an ancient Indian arrowhead to pierce, with laser-like intensity, the precise letter grade zone that each selecting man deserves."

And Mel Kiper Jr. nodded, for he knew what his father said was true.

And then on April 28, 2008, he would give 31 out of 32 teams between a B+ and a C-. Because everyone pretty much did an "eh" job. Like every year. Except the Chiefs. They get an A -- Mel's first A in the three years we've been tracking this!

If Mel Kiper, Jr. were a college professor, at the beginning of the year he would hand out a piece of paper explaining his grading system:

0-50%: C
    50-100%: B
    2008 Kansas City Chiefs: A

See you next year, Mel!
    http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2008/04...tradition.html

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Dear Bengals

If Malcolm Jenkins is available please take him.

Sincerely,

Highlifeman21

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Dear Bengals

If Malcolm Jenkins is available please take him.

Sincerely,

Highlifeman21
    I think Jenkins is going to be a great NFL player, but do the Bengals really need to draft another cornerback?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think Jenkins is going to be a great NFL player, but do the Bengals really need to draft another cornerback?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. But what if the Bengals drafted Jenkins and traded Joseph or Hall for a late first round/early second round pick? That could mean the Bengals would be upgrading their CB while drafting a quality lineman later in the draft (Oher). It's just a thought.

I think Orapko goes higher than 13th.
    The Bengals are predicted to take Orapko in one mock I saw. It might have been Sports Illustrated.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?