Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Castellini to be -on- 700 WLW very soon!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Castellini to be 700 WLW very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    true, but to think the fans are happy with the moves is a joke.:thumbdown

Go to mlb.com or the espn and cincy.com message boards. The common fan thinks we are heading in the right direction with the moves made.

Just listen to the banana phone callers. That represents a majority of Bob's fan base. Seriously.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Willy asks about "Win now" mantra
    BC: Truely believes they are a contender this year
    contending at what?

I see a loop hole.

Retired

If Bob thinks this team is going to have a winning record, I wonder how many drinks he had at lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    contending at what?

I see a loop hole.
    He talked about playing in October. I am sure the podcast will be up soon for you to hear it for yourself.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

He talked about playing in October. I am sure the podcast will be up soon for you to hear it for yourself.
    playing cards
    playing soccer
    playing videogames
    playing the slots

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Let's not forget dude ... let's not forget ... that Bob also said season ticket sales are right about where they were last year!

Sponsorships up + season ticket sales maintained = the economy's killing the Reds!

Or so says Bob.
    Now come on, there's a LOT more to the "economy" than just sponsorships & season tickets. In general, most things are costing more across the board. I'm fairly certain that his expenses have gone up considerably (outside of payroll). It's a certain bet that he's trying to put the best light possible on his team but at the same time trying to limit people's expectations due to the budget constraints, but I don't think he's exaggerating the current financial times.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Now come on, there's a LOT more to the "economy" than just sponsorships & season tickets. In general, most things are costing more across the board. I'm fairly certain that his expenses have gone up considerably (outside of payroll). It's a certain bet that he's trying to put the best light possible on his team but at the same time trying to limit people's expectations due to the budget constraints, but I don't think he's exaggerating the current financial times.
    He seems to have very high expectations. He said the Reds would have a winning record in '09. Anyone believe that will happen?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

O.K., I can spin this for Bob. What he meant by "winning record" was that if an asteroid had destroyed the earth after 50 games then the Reds would have had a winning record if you count all the wins they had after 162 games.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He seems to have very high expectations. He said the Reds would have a winning record in '09. Anyone believe that will happen?
    Only if they are a freakshow and outperform their pythag by say 12-15 games.

Yeah. I listened to the whole shameless segment online. At one point, after Castellini claimed that the Reds would have a "winning record", he then felt he needed to enhance that with another demand of "contender" status. It was as if he figured out that it's better to lie big than lie little.

Always Red pretty much nailed it. Little more than 24 hours ago, the "economy" was the reason the Reds were now standing pat. Now sponsorships are up and the claim is that attendance really might not look to be affected. The latter makes sense because when you rank 14th in the your league in attendance in the first place, there isn't a whole lot of room to fall. But the former statement is completely contradictory versus yesterday's cries of poverty.

We just got fed a snake oil cocktail with a strychnine-laced kool-aid chaser, folks.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Enlighten us. What has The Big Man, and his sidekicks WonderWalt and DustMan, done to shine the "best light possible" on this team? Sign Wily Taveras?

The team would have money for a useful bat in left and more money to spend, had they not traded for Hernandez, signed Taveras, Lincoln, and brought back Weathers.

They could have brought in Pudge Rodriguez or Varitek (via some sort of creative trade with the Redsox) for peanuts (they seem to have financial diarrhea from the peanuts they did eat), kept Freel to be Dickerson's caddie in CF, used other bullpen alternatives from within or the outside at much lower prices.

Suddenly a Bobby Abreu or Pat Burrell would be signed very easily.

Wily Taveras will be the albatross of this season. Dusty, Walt, and Bob C, should all have to wear shirts with the letters WT on them. Sometime in May the general fan consciousness, will realize those letters really mean "Worthless Turd".
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    true, but to think the fans are happy with the moves is a joke.:thumbdown
    Sadly, my friends (many of whom are casual Reds fans), are happy only because Adam Dunn is gone. Marty did a very effective job of blaming the Reds woes on one guy. The guy who just happened to be their best player.

This used to be a great baseball town, with intelligent baseball fans. No longer.

Let the winning begin.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah. I listened to the whole shameless segment online. At one point, after Castellini claimed that the Reds would have a "winning record", he then felt he needed to enhance that with another demand of "contender" status. It was as if he figured out that it's better to lie big than lie little.

If you're going to lie, lie big.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If you're going to lie, lie big.
    At this point, if Bob Castellini introduced himself to me, I'd demand to see some ID.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    At this point, if Bob Castellini introduced himself to me, I'd demand to see some ID.

You wouldn't want to confuse him with Admiral James Stockdale.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?