Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Castellini to be -on- 700 WLW very soon!

Re: Castellini to be -on- 700 WLW very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    That's like saying I am shoting for a C+ in math this year and it may even be B-.

This team just has no plan at all.
    What are you shooting for in English?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    That's like saying I am shoting for a C+ in math this year and it may even be B-.

This team just has no plan at all.
    But seriously......I think you came up with the perfect simile.

I think we would all like to see them shoot for a C+ and would love a B-.

I would love to see them 6 to 10 games over .500 in late August and playing in some meaningful games in September. If they ended up 6 games over in 3rd place and missed the playoffs, I would be satisfied thinking that maybe they were building a winner.

That would make 2009 a C+ as far as I was concerned.

If they reached a B- and missed the Wild Card on the last weekend of the year, that would also be not only satisfying but a little exciting.

In any case, an 84-78 record would hardly be pessimistic.....

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I feel for the guy. Marge was toxic, and Lindner was a caretaker, and we loved that Castellini cared. I think most of us in that situation could probably articulate more of a plan for the team than we've heard so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if any one of us owners would be backpedaling after a couple of years, saying, "well we needed a strong defense behind our young pitchers, but strengthening the defense up the middle really wrecked our offense, and we were outbid for Xavier Nady, but we think the new manager Barry Larkin can bring a winning tradition back to the organization ..."
    My heart bleeds for the multimillionaire owner who cries various types of poormouth when the fans have the gall to ask why the team isn't going out there and getting better.

That's why fans are upset -- not because the team stinks, but because the team stinks despite the fact that the means for fixing it are sitting out on the free agent market literally begging to be signed.

Either you have the money to run and field a competitive major league baseball team or you do not. If Bob does not, I submit its time for him to return to selling fruit and let someone who wants to run a baseball team come in and handle things. Or, at the very least, admit that you're running a two-bit organization that will need a combination of luck and trade skill to succeed.

Either way, stop peeing on my leg and telling me its raining.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-24-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Re: Castellini to be 700 WLW very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Sadly, my friends (many of whom are casual Reds fans), are happy only because Adam Dunn is gone. Marty did a very effective job of blaming the Reds woes on one guy. The guy who just happened to be their best player.

This used to be a great baseball town, with intelligent baseball fans. No longer.
    Cincinnati Reds Fans used to be thought of as intelligent baseball fans. I agree with you, that is no longer the case.

I caught some heat for a post I made here three or four years ago, where I expressed my opinion on the dumbing down of Reds Fans. I still hold that opinion. Reds Fans tend to believe everything they read from Beat Writers or hear from PBP Announcers. All the blame can't be layed at Martys feet but he's had plenty to do with the dumbing down of Reds Country.

Ownership lost respect for the fanbase long ago. Marge, Carl and now Bob think they can tell us whatever we want to hear and get away with it.

I'm at an advantage over the rest of you.

I was able to read between the lies.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

That transcript read like something the Ultimate Warrior might write.

Dude might be a bit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    We've got Jerry to play left field with Chris Dickerson and (Norris) Hopper if Alex comes back at shortstop.
    Ugh. Hairston/Dickerson in Left Field. This team really has lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I'll say this, perhaps the negative reactions from the press to Cast's musings may cause him to make a move he wasn't planning on making before he opened his yap.
    Oh joy. More rash, knee-jerk edicts from Mr. Crazy. That can't possibly help the team.

Seriously Bob. Just keep your mouth shut. You punted 2009, your team stinks and the fan base doesn't care about your product. You know it and we know it. Let's just keep going through the motions and pretend that all is well.

I have another take on this whole subject. What worries me more than anything is that I strongly suspect that Castellini and the FO honestly believe everything he went on the radio and said.

They REALLY do believe Tavares is the CF fix. They REALLY do believe that Hairston's inflated 2008 numbers weren't just the results of a career year and that Hairston won't sink back to his career norms this year. They REALLY do believe that Alex Gonzalez will come back healthy and put up huge numbers this year.

We have an organization who is living in "La-La Land."
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

the means for fixing it are sitting out on the free agent market literally begging to be signed.
    Way overstated.
    If Abreu were out there begging for a deal he'd be a Red now.
    They talked to Burrell, too.
    And Dunn ain't happening.
    Lots of teams could use some of the big hitters out there. But the big hitters are still sitting. There's no begging going on -- it's called negotiating.

every time Bob opens his mouth I become less impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    That's the biggest bunch of gobbledygook I've ever read.
    Do you guys remember the Gobbledygooker from a Survivor Series event about 20 years ago?

Bob C. is the Goobledygooker.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    They REALLY do believe Tavares is the CF fix.
    Willy is the da bomb

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Do you guys remember the Gobbledygooker from a Survivor Series event about 20 years ago?

I sprained my tongue trying to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Wait, Cast is Hector Guerrero?

Awe.Some.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Wait, Cast is Hector Guerrero?

Awe.Some.
    Bob C. hatches to resounding boos.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?