Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Castellini to be -on- 700 WLW very soon!

Re: Castellini to be -on-700 WLW very soon!

"All right, I'm going to level with you all. But what's most important now is that you remain calm. There is no reason to panic."
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Steinbrenner, George, not that bufoon Hank had no problem criticizing GM's, managers even players. And it worked. He's the most successful owner in baseball. God, I'd LOVE it if BCast came out and said...
    Honestly, I don't see a LF out there worth their reported asking price. I'm not speaking for other owners, but some kind of realism has to set in that these are hard times. I get that the player needs to fight for what he thinks he, and his agent of course, is worth, but we owe it to our patrons to not ignore this economy. Season Ticket sales are about what they were last year, but season ticket holders are die hards. We love them too. But the casual fan is one we cannot ignore and frankly, if this economy doesn't turn around, we expect a hit there. I won't lie, we are concerned about it.

As for Dunn and Griffey, I think, and Walt would probably back me up on this, we just want to turn the page on that era. Both are great players and we wish them well, but we have other directions we want to take this team.

I'm as stumped as you on the Taveras signing. My grandkids haven't stopped complaining about it. One even has a fire Dusty t-shirt. He won't take the damn thing off.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Maybe because they told us yesterday they were done, they couldn't afford more, and this is the team they were putting on the field for 2009?

panic? No, I think we're further up the scale towards apathy of late...
    Have you heard of the old saying....smoke and mirrors? All teams are crying poverty right now with the economy. Essentially what they are doing is driving down free agent prices to rock bottom and players are forced to take a contract. Really, how many teams are knocking down Adam Dunn's door to come play for them? How many teams are out there trying to acquire Junior's services? You don't think Scott Boras milks everything he can to get the best contract for his client? Same with major league teams. They will do everything they can to pay the least amount for a free agent with the exception of the New York Yankees and possibly the New York Mets. The outfield free agent market was set with the Pat Burrell's signing. Do you think Adam Dunn will get that much of a better deal?

Like I said what the Reds say in January is one thing. Come Opening Day and this is the lineup they are running with then I will join everyone else and say this team is set on another year of mediocre baseball.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Have you heard of the old saying....smoke and mirrors? All teams are crying poverty right now with the economy. Essentially what they are doing is driving down free agent prices to rock bottom and players are forced to take a contract. Really, how many teams are knocking down Adam Dunn's door to come play for them? How many teams are out there trying to acquire Junior's services? You don't think Scott Boras milks everything he can to get the best contract for his client? Same with major league teams. They will do everything they can to pay the least amount for a free agent with the exception of the New York Yankees and possibly the New York Mets. The outfield free agent market was set with the Pat Burrell's signing. Do you think Adam Dunn will get that much of a better deal?

Like I said what the Reds say in January is one thing. Come Opening Day and this is the lineup they are running with then I will join everyone else and say this team is set on another year of mediocre baseball.
    Not every team is crying poverty:11 teams are raising payroll this year:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ting-payrolls/

The nation's financial problems are being felt in baseball.

There are only 11 teams - including the Rockies - projected to open the 2009 season with a bigger payroll than a year ago. There are four teams that figured to be about the same as last year and 15 teams planning to cut salary expenditures.

What's more, the cuts are coming from the teams that have spent the most.

Seven of the teams that were among the top nine payrolls on Opening Day last year are looking at lesser payrolls in 2009 - the No. 1 Yankees, No. 3 Tigers, No. 4 Red Sox, No. 5 White Sox, No. 6 Angels, No. 7 Dodgers and No. 9 Mariners. The Dodgers could fall as much as $30 million from last year's $118.6 million.
    I think you're right, smoke and mirrors is what we get from Bob Castellini. Yesterday he pleaded poverty due to the economy and said he was done adding players and payroll for the 2009 year. Then today, he says attendance and sponsorship are good. Spin, smoke and mirrors, it's all the same to me. I have learned, only over the last 2 days, to discount what comes out of Castellini's mouth.

Dunn? Maybe he's waiting to see what Manny gets? Maybe we overvalued him? Maybe Ricciardi said aloud what many FO types actually think about Dunn? I think the fact that the Reds don't want Dunn back even at the apparent current discount is very telling of how this current FO really feels about him.

Junior? I can't see Junior playing baseball for the offers he is probably getting. If I were an owner, I'd rather go with young, hungry talent than older, expensive guys who can't be counted on to stay healthy. Some call that collusion, but I think it's just common sense.

There was no collusion when it came to Tex or CC, or even Lowe.

Anyway, Cast said it, both yesterday and today, and this is as good a place as any to come and talk about what's going on with the Reds. Sounds like you don't believe Cast is done, and I hope you're right. I am just commenting on what the man said.
    sorry we're boring

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It only seems like eternity, woy.
    sorry we're boring

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I think you're right, smoke and mirrors is what we get from Bob Castellini. Yesterday he pleaded poverty due to the economy and said he was done adding players and payroll for the 2009 year. Then today, he says attendance and sponsorship are good. Spin, smoke and mirrors, it's all the same to me. I have learned, only over the last 2 days, to discount what comes out of Castellini's mouth.

Dunn? Maybe he's waiting to see what Manny gets? Maybe we overvalued him? Maybe Ricciardi said aloud what many FO types actually think about Dunn? I think the fact that the Reds don't want Dunn back even at the apparent current discount is very telling of how this current FO really feels about him.

Junior? I can't see Junior playing baseball for the offers he is probably getting. If I were an owner, I'd rather go with young, hungry talent than older, expensive guys who can't be counted on to stay healthy. Some call that collusion, but I think it's just common sense.

There was no collusion when it came to Tex or CC, or even Lowe.

Anyway, Cast said it, both yesterday and today, and this is as good a place as any to come and talk about what's going on with the Reds. Sounds like you don't believe Cast is done, and I hope you're right. I am just commenting on what the man said.

Big Mouth Bob's quotes might be Exhibit A if the MLBPA decides to file collusion charges against MLB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Big Mouth Bob's quotes might be Exhibit A if the MLBPA decides to file collusion charges against MLB.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    How so?
    Revenues are chugging along; free agent salaries (for players the Yankees aren't interested in/interested in keeping away from Boston) are plummeting.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Revenues are chugging along; free agent salaries (for players the Yankees aren't interested in/interested in keeping away from Boston) are plummeting.
    But 2009 revenues aren't the sole determinant of the willingness to offer a player a long term deal.

I think the economic issue is valid, but not because of it's impact on revenue. It's the impact of uncertainty.

Long term economic uncertainty leads to fewer large commitments, leading to more FA on the market longer (as guys hold out for what they thing they deserve), leading a prolonged glut in supply, leading to individual FA having less leverage, further driving down prices and creating a negative feedback loop.

The demand for players is still there, but the supply is larger, particularly among corner OF and SP. Combine that with the economic uncertainty and you don't need any nefarious motives to explain what's going on. Just logic and the standard rules of the market.

Why buy something now when you don't need it for 3 months, the store isn't going to run out of it, and the price might drop between then and now?

The guys who are really in trouble are the ones like Junior, who don't possess a rare skill set and don't represent the possibility of a long term buy low opportunity.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Revenues are chugging along
    That's not what he said. He talked about sponsorships numbers and season ticket renewals. Who knows what baseline he used for his comments, but by Opening Day there will be real numbers for both.

On top of that, the Reds' payroll outlays already are either flat or up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    But 2009 revenues aren't the sole determinant of the willingness to offer a player a long term deal.

I think the economic issue is valid, but not because of it's impact on revenue. It's the impact of uncertainty.

Long term economic uncertainty leads to fewer large commitments, leading to more FA on the market longer (as guys hold out for what they thing they deserve), leading a prolonged glut in supply, leading to individual FA having less leverage, further driving down prices and creating a negative feedback loop.

The demand for players is still there, but the supply is larger, particularly among corner OF and SP. Combine that with the economic uncertainty and you don't need any nefarious motives to explain what's going on. Just logic and the standard rules of the market.

Why buy something now when you don't need it for 3 months, the store isn't going to run out of it, and the price might drop between then and now?

The guys who are really in trouble are the ones like Junior, who don't possess a rare skill set and don't represent the possibility of a long term buy low opportunity.
    Very well said.

Another part of the loop is the likely inability for teams to unload salary in season if performance or revenues don't match projections.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    From C-Trent's Blog:

Bob Castellini was on Bill Cunningham's show on 700 WLW this afternoon and this is what he had to say:

Cunningham: There's a story here in the Enquirer that says, "Win Now, Goes By Wayside" -- is that true?

Castellini: No. (chuckles)

Cunningham: That's what the headline says in the Enquirer

Castellini: I guess it does say that, but if you read the article it doesn't say we're not going to win this year. It's minimized. It maybe says we haven't given up on this year. And we certainly haven't given up on this year. On the other hand, we're ecstatic about what we’re going to put on the field this year.

Cunningham: Do you think you've done enough with additions like Willy Taveras and Ramon Hernandez and resigned Jerry Hairston, Weathers and Lincoln, is that upgrading? What happened to the leftfielder with all the power you were going to get?

Castellini: Well, there's still possibly a leftfielder, a right-handed batter out there. It's getting late. We tried to get that spot filled. In the meantime, when we signed Willy to play center field and we've got Jerry to play left field with Chris Dickerson and (Norris) Hopper if Alex comes back at shortstop. But we feel we've really sured up our center with our catcher and Taveras and whoever plays shortstop, whether it's Hairston or Alex -- that's our one big question mark.

Cunningham: One thing I like about you, which I don't like about Mike Brown, when you had a chance to go get a baseball announcer, you go get Thom Brennaman. When you had a chance to go get a manager, you got Dusty Baker. When you had a chance to go get a G.M., you got Walt Jocketty. In other words, you change. You have three G.M.s, three field managers -- I don't see that as change, as much as I see Bob Castelllini working hard and you get the right people in place. I'm thinking if you fail again this year, will we have four general managers and four field managers? Because failing is winning and losing and Bob Castellini's not had one winning season in three years.

Castellini: You're absolutely right. But we’ve built an organization with these people you talk about and they're here for a long, long time. We're not looking to change. We feel very, very confident for this year. The second part of that article, I probably asked for myself. I was funning with John (Fay) and I said, you know when I told you we're going to win right away and you took it out of context, what I really meant was the interpretation was wrong and maybe that's my fault too.

Cunningham: Seg-man Dennison told me you said, "We've come to a point where we're just not going to lose anymore."

Castellini: Right, we were losing with our organization. We didn't have a winning attitude, we didn't have a winning organization. We changed all that. We're on the right track. What really irritates me is people think we're writing off this year. We have an excellent team. We have a contender. Barring injuries, we're going to be in there at the end. You can quote me on that, at the end of the year if we're not in there at the end, you can play it back forever. But I really feel that way and our organization feels that way.

Cunningham: Last year the Reds finished 23-and-a-half games out of first and you had Griffey and Dunn as your marquee players. Every organization needs a star, like here, I'm a star. You need a star. Griffey and Dunn, those guys are now done. Is Dunn possibly coming back to play left field?

Castellini: I wouldn’t say that.

Cunningham: How about Griffey?

Castellini: I wouldn't say that, but we've got a budding star in Joey Votto, I think he's going to break into stardom this year. We've got Jay Bruce and I think he's in the same category. And we’ve got the Gold Glover (Bandon Phillips) who is outstanding. And on top of that, we've got a starting rotation with four people and three very, very viable people to be the fifth starter and we've got the best bullpen in the division.

Cunningham: Are you having fun Bob Castellini?

Castellini: I'm having a lot of fun.

Cunningham: Are you sure?

Castellini: I'm just so pumped up about this team, I'm getting excited about it, Bill.

Cunningham: Are you sure?

Castellini: Yeah.

Cunningham: I'm not so sure. You took over in January 2006 and you said things like "we're going to win, we're going to win now. My wife Susie has a pillow that says, 'if Momma's not happy, nobody's happy.'" I don't think Bob Castellini is happy.

Castellini: I wouldn't say that at all. In fact, you're wrong. Articles like that, if I'm part of the problem, I apologize, but those kind of articles make the fans unhappy. In fact, the fans are pretty darn happy. The feedback we get from our fans for tickets and so forth, are very positive and the people that are cutting down on ticket purchases are still buying tickets and telling us it's the economy, it's not the direction of the Reds.

Cunningham: How many season ticket holders do you have?

Castellini: We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Cunningham: Is it up or down from last year?

Castellini: We don't know, but it's not going to be that far off. And I'll tell you something else, Bill, our sponsorships are up.

Cunningham: Really?

Castellini: I'd say that the Reds are perceived to be going in the right direction. If the owner fouls up with an interview and sets them back, I'll have to get on the most publicized show in town and try to correct it and I appreciate you letting me come on and say a few things.

Cunningham: I have the upmost respect for you and Phil… You do everything first class except the team. You do everything first-class except for what's between the white lines.

Castellini: Maybe we'll have to get rid of the owner if it doesn't work out this year.

Cunningham: Do you see yourself selling if it doesn't work out?

Castellini: Absolutely not.

Cunningham: No?

Castellini: No.

Cunningham: You're going to stay with it for the next five-to-10 years no matter what?

Castellini: You betcha.

Cunningham: And you're going to win?

Castellini: You betcha.

Cunningham: You're going to win?

Castellini: Yes sir.

Cunningham: You're going to win this year?

Castellini: We're going to win this year.

Cunningham: You are?

Castellini: We're going to have a winning record this year, Bill. And we're going to be contenders and we might well be into it at the end of the season. I told everyone in Louisville that we hope to see them up at Great American Ball Park in October.

(Here they talk about RedsFest and the Caravan -- I didn’t type it up -- Castellini talks about the fans in Louisville where he was last night )

Cunningham: Bob, you’re a Cincinnatian from birth, like me, and been around your whole life and I'm thinking the Bengals have stunk for 20 years, UC Bearcat basketball is in the crapper, Xavier's good but a lot of people don't care, but we are Reds country and you haven’t had a winning season since you've owned the club, we've only had one the entire century and we're dying and starving for a winner and I think we have the right organization, all you need is a few better players. That's all you need. I can agree with you, why do you want to spend $100 million when you're going to lose $30 or $40 million a year, you can't do that, right?

Castellini: Right. But in all seriousness, Bill, we're high on this team that we’re putting on the field this year.

Honest Bob

I'm not sure which would be scarier - If he's just gonna always say "Hey, we really believe we've got a contender" no matter what they're putting on the field and expect the fans to accept it or if he actuyally believes it.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-23-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Haunted by walks

Re: Castellini to be -on- 700 WLW very soon!

I think he's just trying to temper his early fan-as-owner "the losing stops now" enthusiasm with the more realistic "boy this is harder than it looks." There's nothing evil about that.

Turn Off Ads?