Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Castellini to be -on- 700 WLW very soon!

Re: Castellini to be -on- 700 WLW very soon!

Is Castellini hinting at Xavier Nady here? Fay thinks so.

Here's the rest of what he had to say (he didn't mention him by name -- that would be tampering -- but it sounds like the Reds still hold out hope on getting Xavier Nady):

Castellini: Well, there's still possibly a leftfielder, a right-handed batter out there. It's getting late. We tried to get that spot filled. In the meantime, when we signed Willy to play center field and we've got Jerry to play left field with Chris Dickerson and (Norris) Hopper if Alex comes back at shortstop. But we feel we've really sured up our center with our catcher and Taveras and whoever plays shortstop, whether it's Hairston or Alex -- that's our one big question mark.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll say this, perhaps the negative reactions from the press to Cast's musings may cause him to make a move he wasn't planning on making before he opened his yap.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Is Castellini hinting at Xavier Nady here? Fay thinks so.

Here's the rest of what he had to say (he didn't mention him by name -- that would be tampering -- but it sounds like the Reds still hold out hope on getting Xavier Nady):

Castellini: Well, there's still possibly a leftfielder, a right-handed batter out there. It's getting late. We tried to get that spot filled. In the meantime, when we signed Willy to play center field and we've got Jerry to play left field with Chris Dickerson and (Norris) Hopper if Alex comes back at shortstop. But we feel we've really sured up our center with our catcher and Taveras and whoever plays shortstop, whether it's Hairston or Alex -- that's our one big question mark.

I haven't figured out how credible he is, but about a half hour ago Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton (XM 175) said that the rumor that the Reds were still hoping to get Nady for Bailey wouldn't die, and then he said something about Castellini's comments at Redsfest today. I wonder if he was referring to what Fay wrote and expanding on it a bit.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Castinelli on WLW AGAIN tonight with Paul Daugherty to try to "clear some things up":

Castellini and Doc
    Posted by TimCurtis at 1/23/2009 8:32 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Bob Castellini later went on Doc's show on WLW tonight to again clear the air about today's Enquirer article and what he has said. Here's the transcript from the beginning of the interview:

Doc: What would you like to say, Bob Castellini, to Reds Nation right now?

BC: Well, I’d like to say we’ve got a fantastic team. We are very high on this team. If there is any question about us giving up on the Reds this season it’s out of the question. We’ve put together everything but what people say is a right-handed power hitter probably in left field. However, we’ve got a great defensive left-field combination, if Jerry (Hairston) doesn’t have to play shortstop he’s out there with Chris Dickerson and even Norris Hopper. So our defense is fantastic. Our speed in unparalleled. Our pitching staff is the best we’ve had in years. Probably, I don’t know, maybe 15 years … and it’s complete from four rotation people and we’ll have a fifth with some very good aspirants and we’ll have a bullpen that is certainly the best in our division and one of the best in the National League.

So we’re excited about the team. And I think the article today didn’t necessarily say we weren’t excited about it, but I kind of got the impression that maybe you could read that we weren’t excited about it. I don’t think John meant to put it that way, but that’s what I read. I think the first half of the article was about me and talking to John about taking me out of context, and I got myself into that problem with John. And, you know, it’s my fault. But …

Doc: You’re talking about John Fay from the Enquirer.

BC: Yeah. The fact our franchise gets rapped is why I’m here tonight. But I’ll explain the first part also.

When we first bought the team, Doc, as you recall, we said we were going to win. And that’s the way we feel. And every day we go to work that’s the way everybody in that building feels, or everybody who is part of the organization all over the country. And what we mean by winning is: not just games, winning in attitude, winning in organization. And we’ve put together what we feel is a very, very good organization. I think Walt has done a very good job in this last year. As far as attitude is concerned, we have an attitude of winning in our franchise, there’s no question about that. Certainly winning in the minor leagues. And winning in the major leagues. Was it going to be done overnight, no. Did I say it was going to be overnight, if I implied that I wasn’t that naïve to think that we could buy a bunch of free agents and ruin the franchise by winning one division title and riding off into the sunset, which happens to a lot of teams. However, I think the interpretation was that way, and so I was kind of funning with John, and I was half serious, but half funning with him, and I said, ‘Come on, we’re ready to win now, this is our year.’ I implied that but I didn’t get to finish it because we were walking down the sidewalk anyway. That was my point. The interpretation of me saying, ‘We’re going to win now,’ was really probably a little too overdone not just by any one particular person but everybody in the sports media based in Reds country. I was trying to explain that a little bit and say you know, ‘This is our year.’

Doc: Just to put to rest the notion that we in the media took you out of context, when you say when you bring Walt in, we’re not going to lose anymore, we take that literally.

BC: No, but I used the wrong words, Paul. It was not out of context. That was my fault. I said the interpretation was probably a little different than my interpretation but I used the wrong terminology, no question.
    Winning doesn't necessarily mean winning games, you see.

Oh, and he was "half-funning" with Fay.

You couldn't make this stuff up any better than this.
    Last edited by Always Red; 01-23-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    sorry we're boring

Castellini: We're going to have a winning record this year, Bill. And we're going to be contenders and we might well be into it at the end of the season. I told everyone in Louisville that we hope to see them up at Great American Ball Park in October.
    That's like saying I am shoting for a C+ in math this year and it may even be B-.

This team just has no plan at all.

Re: Castellini to be -on-700 WLW very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    How so?

In his words, he said sponsorships are the same, season tickets aren't down plus they pared some payroll in Jr. and Dunn. So the players association may wonder why an owner who has vowed to "win now" isn't spending a little of his money for someone like an Abreu or Dunn or Burrell when they have a need for someone like that. I'm not saying that in itself means the owners are colluding but it might be a piece of the puzzle that could eventually cost the owners more money than they are saving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I cannot remember the last time a person destroyed their credibility this quickly and decisively. At least Blagojevich spread his insanity out over a few weeks.

First of all, I'd like to commend Bob for standing up for himself and the organization. I like the fact that he doesn't hide like Mike Brown.

Second, I wish Bob would walk the talk more. He has high aspirations and goals but just doesn't know how to complete the deal.

Third, Bob is absolutely out of his mind if he thinks this team is "fantastic". You've got to be kidding me. Decent? Maybe. Competitive? Maybe. Speedy? Yes. Scrappy? Probably. Fantastic?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Ownership will say anything to sell season tickets.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Castellini: When we first bought the team, Doc, as you recall, we said we were going to win. And that’s the way we feel. And every day we go to work that’s the way everybody in that building feels, or everybody who is part of the organization all over the country. And what we mean by winning is: not just games, winning in attitude, winning in organization. And we’ve put together what we feel is a very, very good organization. I think Walt has done a very good job in this last year. As far as attitude is concerned, we have an attitude of winning in our franchise, there’s no question about that. Certainly winning in the minor leagues. And winning in the major leagues. Was it going to be done overnight, no. Did I say it was going to be overnight, if I implied that I wasn’t that naïve to think that we could buy a bunch of free agents and ruin the franchise by winning one division title and riding off into the sunset, which happens to a lot of teams. However, I think the interpretation was that way, and so I was kind of funning with John, and I was half serious, but half funning with him, and I said, ‘Come on, we’re ready to win now, this is our year.’ I implied that but I didn’t get to finish it because we were walking down the sidewalk anyway. That was my point. The interpretation of me saying, ‘We’re going to win now,’ was really probably a little too overdone not just by any one particular person but everybody in the sports media based in Reds country. I was trying to explain that a little bit and say you know, ‘This is our year.’
    That's the biggest bunch of gobbledygook I've ever read.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Haunted by walks

I feel for the guy. Marge was toxic, and Lindner was a caretaker, and we loved that Castellini cared. I think most of us in that situation could probably articulate more of a plan for the team than we've heard so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if any one of us owners would be backpedaling after a couple of years, saying, "well we needed a strong defense behind our young pitchers, but strengthening the defense up the middle really wrecked our offense, and we were outbid for Xavier Nady, but we think the new manager Barry Larkin can bring a winning tradition back to the organization ..."

Bob needs to just shut up. That is why you pay Rob Butcher.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Here's optimism...say Votto breaks out to 30 HR and 100 RBI's. Then Phillips has a .300/25HR/90 RBI year. Gonzo comes back with a 20/75 year. Encarnacion improves, hits .280/30/90. Willy has a .340 OBP and steals 50 bases. Bruce goes .280/30/100. The new catcher is in at .270/15/65. Harang comes back strong, Arroyo continues his late 2008 run, Volquez and Cueto pitch as well as their potential, and Owings is a better 5th starter than Belisle and Fogg from last year. What do you think might happen?

It's all a crap shoot and before I proclaim BCast full of that, I'll wait and see, though I'm not too fond of being optimistic, especially as mid season comes to pass.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

"THE FANS ARE HAPPY"

?????????????????

Wow Bob C. is really a joke. He's making himself sound worse and worse. He should just shut up.

700 WLW is going to have a field day with these sound bytes this summer.

Turn Off Ads?