Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is RedsZone's #39 prospect?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wes Bankston

1 1.79%
  • Scott Carroll

1 1.79%
  • Wilkin Castillo

5 8.93%
  • Shaun Cumberland

5 8.93%
  • Matt Fairel

1 1.79%
  • Ramon Geronimo

1 1.79%
  • Aguido Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Paul Janish

4 7.14%
  • Yen-Wen Kuo

0 0%
  • Carter Morrison

0 0%
  • Alex Oliveras

0 0%
  • Logan Parker

6 10.71%
  • Cody Puckett

0 0%
  • Justin Reed

0 0%
  • Dave Sappelt

10 17.86%
  • Clayton Shunick

0 0%
  • Alex Smit

1 1.79%
  • Jordan Smith

6 10.71%
  • Shea Snowden

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

3 5.36%
  • Mace Thurman

5 8.93%
  • Phil Valiquette

5 8.93%
  • Byron Wiley

2 3.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is Redszone's #39 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #39 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Mario, don't worry... I feel the same way. But that's just me. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone, and the intentions are good, and I've still had fun doing this list, but does seem flawed in its approach somewhat.
    I guess the reason I never said anything before was because I kept thinking that not everyone has the time on their hands that I do (been injured and out of work since April). I guess I just needed to get it off my chest though, but it wasn't without a positive as I just came up with an idea. I'll give it it's own thread to see what others think.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't mean to speak for the creators of the list, but to me the purpose it serves is simply to record how the forum, as a whole, feels about the pool of prospects in the winter of 2008-09. It's just for fun, future reference and taking inventory. The disparity in methods is inevitable and, to me, worthwhile. When you shake those differences together, the list is what pours out of the blender. At a later date, we can look back on it and see how we did, both personally and collectively. I don't have issues with the drill because it doesn't purport to be anything more than it is. Do I think Phil Valiquette should be elected at No. 40? Heck, no. But it interests me that a lot of people do, and it'll make me more inclined to follow his progress once the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I don't mean to speak for the creators of the list, but to me the purpose it serves is simply to record how the forum, as a whole, feels about the pool of prospects in the winter of 2008-09. It's just for fun, future reference and taking inventory. The disparity in methods is inevitable and, to me, worthwhile. When you shake those differences together, the list is what pours out of the blender. At a later date, we can look back on it and see how we did, both personally and collectively. I don't have issues with the drill because it doesn't purport to be anything more than it is. Do I think Phil Valiquette should be elected at No. 40? Heck, no. But it interests me that a lot of people do, and it'll make me more inclined to follow his progress once the season starts.
    Good post and you are right. That said I guess I wish it did purport to be more than it is. I mean I wish we had a list to show the so called experts that they were wrong and we were right and why couldn't they get much closer with more access to info/data.

Personally I sit here and wonder what else I screwed up on when I miss Jordan Smith so badly, which I now am confident I completely wiffed on. It's just my competitive nature coming out I guess, nothing is worth doing if you don't do it right. But this current list does serve a purpose in it's own right, I just lost sight of some of it paying attention to my own selfish motives.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Good post and you are right. I wish we had a list to show the so called experts that they were wrong and we were right and why couldn't they get much closer with more access to info/data.
    If that's an objective that a lot of people share, maybe it would be worthwhile for a committee of five or seven especially knowledgeable posters -- starting with the likes of Doug, OBM and c'golf -- to come up with a mutual and more informed list. Of course, they've all done their own, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    If that's an objective that a lot of people share, maybe it would be worthwhile for a committee of five or seven especially knowledgeable posters -- starting with the likes of Doug, OBM and c'golf -- to come up with a mutual and more informed list. Of course, they've all done their own, I believe.
    Yeah that was my idea the other day when I said I had one that I wanted to start a thread with. But I let the idea fizzle a bit, just wasn't sure it would be well received. But if some were interested I would like to see it. Maybe a list that just flat out says here is our best 20, 30, 40 minor leaguers in terms of most likely to make it and with the best impact in order.

I know I need to revamp my most current previous list, just tear it down and start from scratch. I just haven't found the best most specific formula. But I believe deep down that there is a better formula out there for predicting major league success from scouting reports and minor league #'s. I hope to figure out what that is.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    No I am not implying that. In fact as I stated in my previous post to the one you are answering I too have made mistakes. My main thing is you have a large group who bases their opinion almost exclusively on ceiling another group who bases their opinion largely on production and yet another group who has a more balanced version of both. I mean what's the purpose behind making a list? If it's just to pass time and learn some about prospects then ok this will do. But it would be nice if we also ended up with a list that's pretty true.

On 2nd thought just forget I said anything. I realize people don't really have the time to collect that kind of data.
    True. It really matters what you consider is important when determining this list.

The more accurate depiction I think you are looking for is to remove the voting format. Everyone list list their top 40 and an average is taking, this way is merely informative and fun.

Turn Off Ads?