Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is RedsZone's #39 prospect?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wes Bankston

1 1.79%
  • Scott Carroll

1 1.79%
  • Wilkin Castillo

5 8.93%
  • Shaun Cumberland

5 8.93%
  • Matt Fairel

1 1.79%
  • Ramon Geronimo

1 1.79%
  • Aguido Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Paul Janish

4 7.14%
  • Yen-Wen Kuo

0 0%
  • Carter Morrison

0 0%
  • Alex Oliveras

0 0%
  • Logan Parker

6 10.71%
  • Cody Puckett

0 0%
  • Justin Reed

0 0%
  • Dave Sappelt

10 17.86%
  • Clayton Shunick

0 0%
  • Alex Smit

1 1.79%
  • Jordan Smith

6 10.71%
  • Shea Snowden

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

3 5.36%
  • Mace Thurman

5 8.93%
  • Phil Valiquette

5 8.93%
  • Byron Wiley

2 3.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #39 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #39 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I have the energy to go to 100, but the quality of discussion has gone down drastically over the past several prospects. I think 40 is a good place to stop unless a few people disagree.
    I kind of like 50. About now it's getting real interesting, I think. We're into the area of picking out prospects from the blurry stretches of the farm system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Like others have said, we really aren't even talking about prospects anymore. I concur that we should stop at 40, especially since that's the number we have used for the last couple of years...

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I know that technically he is still eligible to be a rookie so we list him as a prospect. Just in my own view Janish, Dickerson, Hanigan, Ramirez, of course Bailey, probably even Castillo played a lot of major league ball last year so I wouldn't include them. Just my way of thinking about it.
    I somewhat agree. I'm more likely to think of Bailey as a prospect than Dickerson or Hanigan...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Like others have said, we really aren't even talking about prospects anymore.
    Don't agree. Craig Tatum, by all accounts, has major-league catching skills. Ramon Geronimo has numbers that George Grande would describe as brilliant. Same for Aguido Gonzalez. Shea Snowden last year had a 1.50 ERA as a 19-year-old. Mace Thurman has 45 strikeouts in 33 professional innings. Alexander Smit once fanned 141 in 108. Matt Fairel was a significant signing. Logan Parker has a career OBP of .372 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Like others have said, we really aren't even talking about prospects anymore. I concur that we should stop at 40, especially since that's the number we have used for the last couple of years...
    Our farm system is deeper than it was the last couple of years, especially with the international signings. I think we should go to 50.

Id like to go a little further if everyone else would like, I will even start creating them if camisadelgolf wants a break. I would like to keep going because the depth is really starting to amaze me. I always knew we had a deep farm system but the fact that we still have several guys with real potential and are nearing 40 is the only positive thing we have going as reds fans. It seems that these are the guys we will be counting on to lead us to the promise land, mixed in with the appropriate amount of dumpster dives.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Id like to go a little further if everyone else would like, I will even start creating them if camisadelgolf wants a break. I would like to keep going because the depth is really starting to amaze me. I always knew we had a deep farm system but the fact that we still have several guys with real potential and are nearing 40 is the only positive thing we have going as reds fans. It seems that these are the guys we will be counting on to lead us to the promise land, mixed in with the appropriate amount of dumpster dives.
    Its funny about this depth thing. JJ Cooper suggests that our #38 prospect Jordan Smith has the highest upside of any starter in the system not named Kyle Lotzkar. Jordan Smith isn't a bad prospect and had something like 10 pitchers ranked in front of him. Just think about that for a second.

nemesis, REDblooded, RedRose323, stock, TOBTTReds, would you like to change your vote? Jordan Smith doesn't qualify.

I still think Sean Henry will have 2 or 3 years of quality Major League time in the Outfield for some organization, and that he deserves to be ranked higher than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I still think Sean Henry will have 2 or 3 years of quality Major League time in the Outfield for some organization, and that he deserves to be ranked higher than he is.
    I do as well and frankly that is why I don't really care if we go further or not. I think we lost sight of the true objective a long time ago if we ever had it right to begin with (as a group). To me the idea was to be as accurate as possible and come to some kind of true consensus. Problem is we can't come to that consensus for various reasons. I'm not pointing my finger just at others, here I was so ill informed that our 2nd best starting pitching prospect I practically didn't even know and now he's ranked 38th?

We need better and more complete scouting reports on players and we need to come to some kind of formula for ranking them that we can agree on. This constant ceiling vs. proven production argument is keeping our list far away from accurate. And if we aren't doing it for accuracy what are we doing it for, just fun? Maybe some don't really care to put in that kind of work but I know I am not satisfied with our list. What say you all?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Projecting young talent is way too subjective to come to anything close to resembling a concensus. It's a nice thought, but in my mind, impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Projecting young talent is way too subjective to come to anything close to resembling a concensus. It's a nice thought, but in my mind, impossible.
    I understand that, I certainly wouldn't expect us to nail it perfectly. But I do think we can do a whole lot better than we have.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I understand that, I certainly wouldn't expect us to nail it perfectly. But I do think we can do a whole lot better than we have.
    But doesn't that imply that your opinion is the proper one? Seems to me that the exercise is to collect all the various opinions and see how they stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    But doesn't that imply that your opinion is the proper one? Seems to me that the exercise is to collect all the various opinions and see how they stack up.
    No I am not implying that. In fact as I stated in my previous post to the one you are answering I too have made mistakes. My main thing is you have a large group who bases their opinion almost exclusively on ceiling another group who bases their opinion largely on production and yet another group who has a more balanced version of both. I mean what's the purpose behind making a list? If it's just to pass time and learn some about prospects then ok this will do. But it would be nice if we also ended up with a list that's pretty true.

On 2nd thought just forget I said anything. I realize people don't really have the time to collect that kind of data.

--Woody Hayes

Mario, don't worry... I feel the same way. But that's just me. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone, and the intentions are good, and I've still had fun doing this list, but does seem flawed in its approach somewhat.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?