Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wow...Death of the BMG CD Club

Wow...Death of the BMG CD Club

http://www.bmgmusic.com/

I've been one of those who joins,quits,joins,quits........

I've always wondered why they didn't go to a straight ala carte low price format, as their new site does.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wow...Death of the BMG CD Club

My question is why are they still selling CDs instead of downloads? Is there really still a market for CDs?

Wow, I built my entire cd collection for ages 12-18 by ordering then "moving away".

So many memories of free cd's I ordered just because the covers looked good
    Go Gators!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I have over 2,000 CDs, and I think close to 20% of them came from the BMG CD Club (most of them were paid for, though).

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    My question is why are they still selling CDs instead of downloads? Is there really still a market for CDs?
    I still buy CDs. I'm a musician and a bit of an audiophile; mp3 sound quality is terrible. To some people it doesn't matter (like my wife, who is also a musician but doesn't hear a difference), but to some like myself it does. There will always be a place for physical media until lossless sound files are the rule for downloads.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I think the quality of digital audio, in general, is crap. Maybe it makes me a snob, but I buy only vinyl unless the band has no alternative available. If I don't have either, I download high-quality mp3s, which are often just as good as CDs.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

A good friend of mine is a singer/song writer and one of my absolute favorite lyrics he wrote is:

"I'll never pay for the dozen CDs from BMG music club..."
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    I still buy CDs. I'm a musician and a bit of an audiophile; mp3 sound quality is terrible. To some people it doesn't matter (like my wife, who is also a musician but doesn't hear a difference), but to some like myself it does. There will always be a place for physical media until lossless sound files are the rule for downloads.
    I hadn't considered that. Now that I think about it, I've got a friend who refuses to store MP3s on his computer. Instead, he has multiple external hard drives full of music in it's native format, because he has the equipment and the ears to know the difference.

If you listen with good headphones or speakers most mp3s are horrendous (320kbps sounds pretty good though). I found this out firsthand when I bought a pair of nice Seinheisers. I thought they were defective because I could hear the distortion and rattling from the sound compression.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sign of the times. I still remember when my parents got 8-track tapes from BMG's predecessor, the Columbia Record and Tape club.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Sign of the times. I still remember when my parents got 8-track tapes from BMG's predecessor, the Columbia Record and Tape club.
    I remember my neighbor getting 8-tracks from the RCA Club and also from Columbia House, which were the competing companies for that market. I recall that RCA had the easier terms to fulfill, but Columbia had some titles that RCA didn't. My first membership was with RCA and I bought LPs.
    Last edited by macro; 01-25-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I hadn't considered that. Now that I think about it, I've got a friend who refuses to store MP3s on his computer. Instead, he has multiple external hard drives full of music in it's native format, because he has the equipment and the ears to know the difference.
    Everything I have -mostly live shows-is either flac or wav, both on my hard drives, and my mp3 player. I guess I shouldn't even call it an mp3 player.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Hey I still have 2 free CDs coming my way, from an offer I did 3 years ago

Wonder why they went out of business.................

My wife was employed at Columbia House for several years. At one time it was a really good job to have. They had an employee store that sold returns and items with torn wrapping and damaged boxes on the cheap. $5.00 Cds. Dvds for 7 bucks. Boxed sets that retailed for up to maybe $200 dollars off the shelf were from $10.00 up to $30.00. I would buy them and sell them on Ebay. I bet I sold 25 or 30 boxed sets of 10 Cds of Led Zeppelin and Billie Holliday for anywhere between $75.00 and %175.00. They cost me 30 bucks. And I sold many many boxed DVD sets of TV shows Like CSI for around 40, and they cost me 7.

Maybe I put Columbia House out of business.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?