Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise for a day- Padres GM

Exercise for a day- Padres GM

Let's try a little exercise since there is not much to be excited about on the Reds offseason thus far. Pretend you just got hired by new owner Jeff Moorad to be the CEO/GM of the Padres. Or you can pretend that you are Sandy Alderson- you're choice. Anyways, you have two months to perform a full scale evaluation of the organization and make any moves necessary to better this franchise for both the short and long term. What do you do?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Exercise for a day- Padres GM

I like this, but I'm just wondering, why the Padres?

I don't know- ownership just changed hands, small market team with some great assets (similar to Reds), Walt's mentor at the helm (Sandy Alderson)...

Quite frankly, I'm just kinda tired of talking about the Reds and their stagnant offseason. So what do ya think, Mr. Alderson?
    Go BLUE!!!

After a quick analysis, I'll say this: Wow, they're really bad. They have NO chance of winning in 2009. Jake Peavy and Chris Young can keep you in games, but Adrian Gonzalez and a declining Brian Giles won't be enough. They need to cash in some of those players for prospects ASAP because they're at least three years away from fielding a competitive team, and by then, Giles will be retired, and Peavy and Young might have had career-threatening surgeries.

As for their prospect needs, they need only pitching. They actual have some positional prospects to spare, so maybe a trade of Peavy and other prospects could net them top-of-the-line starting pitching prospects.

Really, I hate to over-simplify it, but for me, it really is that simple--trade three of your four best players for prospects and wait for 2012. Unfortunately, even then, there's no guarantee that the Padres will be competitive because they've had really bad luck with prospects over the past decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    After a quick analysis, I'll say this: Wow, they're really bad. They have NO chance of winning in 2009. Jake Peavy and Chris Young can keep you in games, but Adrian Gonzalez and a declining Brian Giles won't be enough. They need to cash in some of those players for prospects ASAP because they're at least three years away from fielding a competitive team, and by then, Giles will be retired, and Peavy and Young might have had career-threatening surgeries.

As for their prospect needs, they need only pitching. They actual have some positional prospects to spare, so maybe a trade of Peavy and other prospects could net them top-of-the-line starting pitching prospects.

Really, I hate to over-simplify it, but for me, it really is that simple--trade three of your four best players for prospects and wait for 2012. Unfortunately, even then, there's no guarantee that the Padres will be competitive because they've had really bad luck with prospects over the past decade or so.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think it's an interesting case study primarily because of the Alderson connection. He was brought on 3.5 years ago to turn the franchise around and they've kind of sputtered so far. Alderson (like Walt) clearly has the track record, but it's interesting that he has been ineffective so far in getting them back on track. I'm sure the decaying ownership situation came in to play, but surely that can't account for everything. Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

I think they should trade Peavy and Young. Peavy will bring them a boatload of prospects, and Young has pretty much reached his ceiling I think. A decent pitcher, but no need to keep him if you can get something for him. If they're really serious about completely starting over, they should ship Gonzalez out too. They're going to be awful, no reason to pretend that keeping Adrian will lead to anything other than a last place finish. If you're going to rebuild, rebuild ALL THE WAY! The Reds of this decade could be a decent example of what happens when that's not the case.

Well, first of all, until the ownership change is approved, you can't really do anything.

Secondly, even if you could, it would be difficult to turn a team around in two months.

As far as trading Peavy, Gonzo or other players that's an option but the current mindset among MLB GM's seems to be that they would rather keep their own prospects. Just my opinion, of course. (famous shrug)

Another option, of course, would be to quickly jump into the FA market. ManRam, Dunn? Both those guys can hit the ball out of Petco, even with a weak swing, but they will be in an episode of 'Lost' when it comes to playing LF in Petco. What would be the cost? Is the new ownership (once they are approved) willing to spend that kind of money? Will those players still be available to them? Will they make a material difference? (Again, famous shrug, 'cause I don't know the answer to those questions.)

Rem

Fwiw, the Padres have about a $40mm payroll budget.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Help me out here guys--isn't Kevin Towers the GM? Why do you keep mentioning Alderson?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

FWIW, here's a link to give you an idea of what kind of major-league ready talent they project to have on their 2009 depth chart...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I thought it was Paul DePodesta. His blog is here.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I thought it was Paul DePodesta. His blog is here.
    I think he's the assistant GM...

ok so I get the whole "let's strip this down" attiutude with the owners domestic problems, etc.etc..but what I don't understand about this Padres off-season is why they were so hell bent on trading Peavy(apparently money though he is signed at a relative bargain)yet they pick up that big 'ole option on Brian Giles? What was the thought process there?

If Moorad pumps in some $, this team could use Orlando Hudson and Orlando Cabrera (Cabrera on a one year deal). Fill two huge holes up the middle and flip at least one at the deadline. I'd keep Peavey and Young and try to add more next year. I'm not impressed with the prospects. I might try to sign a Will Ohman and/or a Joe Beimel as well. They need LHRP and its something else that can be flipped at the deadline.

ZIPS like Jody Gerut a lot more than I do.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Towers is the GM. Alderson is their chief executive officer. DePodesta is just a lowly executive vice president.

For anyone who didn't realize, mlb.com has a link to each team's FO info under the "roster" link of each team's homepage.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?