Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzalez healthy

Re: Gonzalez healthy

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I apologize if this is the wrong thread to be discussing this, but the good health of Gonzalez, the indications of a Dickerson/Gomes platoon, and the recent signing of Hairston pretty much set the opening day roster.

Infielders: Votto, Phillips, Gonzalez, EE, Keppinger
    Outfielders: Bruce, Taveras, Dickerson, Gomes, Hairston
    Catchers: Hanigan, Hernandez
    SP: Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Owings
    RP: Cordero, Bray, Burton, Rhodes, Masset, Lincoln, Ramirez

That leaves one position player spot open. Castillo would be the odds choice because he can catch in an emergency. The versatility of Hairston and Castillo is helpful. I can see everyone getting enough playing time to stay sharp. Pinch hitting from (Gomes or Dickerson), (Hanigan or Hernandez), Keppinger, Hairston, and possibly Owings between starts would be good.

Unfortunately, barring injuries to the above, the spring training invitees must be spectacular to dislodge any of the above. Gomes is probably the most at risk, followed by Dickerson. Veteran players will undoubtedly get the nod unless their spring is several degress below the Mendoza line. I think the biggest losers in this are Hopper, Rosales, Janish, Herrera, Roenicke, Richar, and possibly Bailey.

This means that the Louisville roster is set. The outfield will be so crowded that it may be difficult for deserving AA players like Dorn and Henry to move up. The pitching will be among the best AAA staffs. IMO, many of these players would be getting a shot at the ML in other systems. The Reds system may lack spectacular players, but it is certainly deep.
    It's a little early with spring training not even started but that sounds right to me. Still not a playoff team but 82+ wins is possible and just to have a winning record would be an improvement. A winning record in '09 and the playoffs in 2010. That's what I want and that's what I think is possible/realistic.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Wow! That seems hard to believe.
    Agree.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't care if it's Fay or Kremchick or Dusty or Jockety.

Until he plays 4 or 5 games in a row without needing to be pulled from the game, he's still unhealthy enough to be counted on.

Though, it is good news.

Don't forget how unimpressive he was before the injury, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Makes LF more interesting and not in a good way.
    I like what it does to left field. It pushes Hairston and Keppinger into Center and Left and pushes Gomes off of the team. It potentially gives Taveras fewer at-bats as Hairston needs more playing time and could take some games in Center if Dusty wants to leave Dickerson and/or Keppinger in Left.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    Yeah, and then maybe Kepp could play 3rd base against lefties with EE in LF and dickerson in CF in like a 4 way platoon manuever.
    That, too.

While a healthy Agon would help alot I really hope people don't get their hopes up about either Kepp or EE seeing time in left.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-25-2009 at 11:06 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I like the idea of Keppinger playing third if EE deciedes to slump again. I think the motivation of having a quality backup breathing down his neck will be a huge contribution to the play of EE. I think this is the year when we will really find out if EE is a good player or a bust. No more "prospect" talk. Either he gets it done and plays, or he doesn't and Keppinger plays.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    I like the idea of Keppinger playing third if EE deciedes to slump again. I think the motivation of having a quality backup breathing down his neck will be a huge contribution to the play of EE. I think this is the year when we will really find out if EE is a good player or a bust. No more "prospect" talk. Either he gets it done and plays, or he doesn't and Keppinger plays.

I agree. The prospect tag will be removed one way or the other. (Unless you're Dusty Baker who thinks' Tavares' 28-years of age is still on the upswing of a Punch-and-Judy hitter.)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    Yeah, and then maybe Kepp could play 3rd base against lefties with EE in LF and dickerson in CF in like a 4 way platoon manuever.
    Hahaha Do you think Baker could wrap his toothpick around something like this? By mid season he will have Taveras starting at 3rd, Hernandez in CF, Dickerson at C and, Keppinger in LF. I don't trust that guy. He needs clearly defined roles handed down to him by someone smarter than he is.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I like what it does to left field. It pushes Hairston and Keppinger into Center and Left and pushes Gomes off of the team. It potentially gives Taveras fewer at-bats as Hairston needs more playing time and could take some games in Center if Dusty wants to leave Dickerson and/or Keppinger in Left.
    And pushes the one unknown (Dickerson) into an even more limited role and Im sure "respect" will be a keyword. God help Tavares and Hairston if Duhhhsty plays them in CF and LF and they dont put up 2007 WT and 2008 Jerry Hairston numbers, if Dickerson puts up even a decent season.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

And pushes the one unknown (Dickerson) into an even more limited role and Im sure "respect" will be a keyword. God help Tavares and Hairston if Duhhhsty plays them in CF and LF and they dont put up 2007 WT and 2008 Jerry Hairston numbers, if Dickerson puts up even a decent season.
    For what it's worth, in an interview with Fay, Baker did say that Dickerson was the favorite to play LF right now, but he still has to win it.

--On left field: ď(Dickersonís) one of them. If we started right now, it would probably be a platoon situation with him and a right-handed bat Ė whether itís (Jonny) Gomes or Jerry (Hairston). I told Dickerson: Donít let everybody give away your potential job. You got to fight for your job. Itís been a long, tough road to get to the big leagues. Iím not going to give away his job. But Iím not necessarily going to give him a job either.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Meanwhile Duhhhsty gives the CF and leadoff spot to a guy coming off 3 years of wretched baseball and 1 year that was "average".

Also didnt he say the same thing last year about CF when asked about Patterson/Freel and claiming Freel "was banged up"? Forgive me if I am mistaken.

Meanwhile Duhhhsty gives the CF and leadoff spot to a guy coming off 3 years of wretched baseball and 1 year that was "average".

Also didnt he say the same thing last year about CF when asked about Patterson/Freel and claiming Freel "was banged up"? Forgive me if I am mistaken.
    Like I said, "For what its worth"....

Anyway, I have come to the assumption to never believe what Dusty says, because he says so many things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Like I said, "For what its worth"....

Anyway, I have come to the assumption to never believe what Dusty says, because he says so many things.
    Right after he was hired I went to Reds Caravan and just listened to what he had to say. He calmed some real ? in my head... then the season started and he reverted right back to the Duhhhster. After the events that led up to Opening Day and what transpired through mid July I lost all faith in him as a manager. Needless to say with the time since he's not done a thing to show me he's learned at all.

Turn Off Ads?