Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Keppinger LF platoon thread

Official Keppinger LF platoon thread

I've mentioned this a couple times. I want to see how many agree with the idea. Maybe we can get someone's attention.

here's the argument...

Everyone acknowledges Keppinger dropped off last year and probably due to his knee injury. But in that drop of year consider that he hit .360 and had a
    .900 OPS against left handed pitching! How can you leave that bat on the bench against lefties???

This is a perfect platoon option in left field. Dickerson seems to struggle against the southpaws but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get to .850 or
    .900 against right handers. I believe Keppenger can provide adequate defense in left. No worse than Dunn, and maybe a shade better if he works at it.

This saves Hairston for the old Freel role.

Who's with me on Keppinger/Dickerson in LF

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official Keppinger LF platoon thread

I like Kepp but I still prefer him (and Hairston) as multi-position backups. If Kepp is in left who will we have to backup the infielders besides Hairston? Richar? Rosales? If Gonzalez is healthy than Janish can stay in AAA. So who? Whether it's Kepp or Gomes to platoon with Dickerson in left we could be ok there but, imo, if Kepp isn't a backup to the if/of the bench may not be as strong.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I like Kepp but I still prefer him (and Hairston) as multi-position backups. If Kepp is in left who will we have to backup the infielders besides Hairston? Richar? Rosales? If Gonzalez is healthy than Janish can stay in AAA. So who? Whether it's Kepp or Gomes to platoon with Dickerson in left we could be ok there but, imo, if Kepp isn't a backup to the if/of the bench may not be as strong.
    I agree, Kepp is hurt here by his versatility. Most likely, Gomes will platoon with Dickerson in left, since that is all he can play defensively. Gomes, if healthy should hit a ton of homers in GABP, so it's not like the Reds lose a lot there with him over Kepp.
    And those splits make Kepp a great weapon off the bench if they want to bring in a lefty.

But that is a great idea, platooning Kepp would be a great way to capitalize on his strengths.

Is there an unofficial Kepp LF Platoon thread that I haven't seen?
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

How about a platoon where Taveras splits his time with someone?

Any platoon that finds Tavares on the bench every game is good in my eyes. Unfortunately he's being paid (like Hernandez) to start so the guys who are cheap and might actually become something get pushed aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I don't understand this line of thinking. If Kepp is in left and we need an emergency infielder, you just move Kepp where needed and put Dickerson or Hairston in the game in left. Why keep his bat out of the lineup against LHP just because you might need a backup infielder???

While Gomes may be a useful player and a sometimes platoon player against lefties, I'm not sure what leads one to believe that he will 'hit a ton of HR's at GABP'...Even if he happened to hit 20 Hr's (which isn't a 'ton' in my opinion), based on his career numbers his batting average would kill us (if you take out the one year he hit over .244). Let's just hope either we sign someone real late cheap or that Dickerson plays well enough to be out there most of the time. Gomes will hopefully be useful as an occassional starter and pinch hitter but to have great expectations for him to be anymore than that doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

Maybe Dorn comes up sometime early to platoon. I would be more optimistic in his abilities.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How about a platoon where Taveras splits his time with someone?

How about we go "Platoon" on him, and find a Barnes for his Elias?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Just for comparison...

In 2008 Keppinger had a higher batting average and OBP against LHP than both EE and BP. As you would predict, he slugs less but still a .900 OPS!

Kepp .360 avg .412 OBP .489 slugging

BPhil .296 avg .358 OBP .586 slugging

Edwin .292 avg .398 OBP .507 slugging

Kepp is hands down the right guy in the lineup against lefties. In my mind, Gomes would have to take it from him with outstanding performance.

You guys in central KY probably already have seen this, but one of the local sports news people (Mary Jo Perino, WLEX 18) calls Kepp "the only man my husband would leave me for."

If my wife broadcast my man love to most of the state, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I agree with you that Kepp should be in the lineup against lefties. His career numbers in 300 plate appearances against lefthanders:

.351 BA, .403 OBP, .515 SLG, .918 OPS

Here are Jonny Gomes career numbers in 489 plate appearances against lefthanders, which are also quite good:

.266 BA. .369 OBP, .510 SLG, .879 OPS

Although last year, Gomes fell to this against lefties:

.182 BA, .281 OBP, .424 SLG, .705 OPS
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 01-26-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Looks like Gomes will get the platoon opportunity first according to Baker, but I'm sure Kepp will get his fair share of at bats and if he returns to 2007 form he'll get playing time somewhere.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Yeah, Chris, I think Gomes and Hairston will both see plenty of LF time long before Kepp would (who's never played much outfield, but I bet he'd be better than Gomes defensively).

Are you an OU student, by the way? I'm an OU grad and remain a big fan of the Bobcats and Athens.

I am an OU student. I was just at the Reds Caravan in Athens last friday in fact.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Turn Off Ads?