Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sports Administration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sports Administration

I'm a freshman at the University of Cincinnati and I have recently switched majors from Pre-Pharmacy to either Sports Admin. or Marketing (complete 180 , trust me my parents are proud ). I know in both of these fields it is a very good idea to start networking and getting connections early, which brings me to the point of this thread. Anyone know any places where I should apply for a job that could help out in these fields or look good in a future resume?

Advice for other people going into college soon, don't go for the money; go for the passion. If you threw me into a Bio Lab or Chem Lab i'd probably cry right now.

Thanks for all advice it's appreciated.
    Last edited by NorrisHopper30; 01-25-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Re: Sports Administration

Start sending letters to just about every sports organization in your area asking about summer internships. You may not get paid, but it's just about the best way to break in that I can think of. As you are a freshman, it will give you a few summers to put your work in and build a resume. The Reds and Bengals would be obvious places, but think beyond that to include any minor league sports teams in your list. Any experience is good experience, so don't limit yourself to only sports you follow. You may have to take an unpaid position or start somewhere on the ground level, like working in the ticket office, but it gets you in the door. Also check in with the UC athletic department to see if they have any student openings on their sports information or marketing staffs. I know when I was looking at UC 20 years ago, they really promoted their co-op programs, so you might see if your major offers co-ops as well.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Start sending letters to just about every sports organization in your area asking about summer internships. You may not get paid, but it's just about the best way to break in that I can think of. As you are a freshman, it will give you a few summers to put your work in and build a resume. The Reds and Bengals would be obvious places, but think beyond that to include any minor league sports teams in your list. Any experience is good experience, so don't limit yourself to only sports you follow. You may have to take an unpaid position or start somewhere on the ground level, like working in the ticket office, but it gets you in the door. Also check in with the UC athletic department to see if they have any student openings on their sports information or marketing staffs. I know when I was looking at UC 20 years ago, they really promoted their co-op programs, so you might see if your major offers co-ops as well.
    Thanks for the info! Co-ops are big at UC, I think for Sports Administration they recommend starting co-op Jr. year, maybe even Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Co-ops are big at UC, I think for Sports Administration they recommend starting co-op Jr. year, maybe even Sr.
    Even if sports administration isn't taught out of one of the mandatory co-op colleges, the professional practice office and career development center can still be of use to you. Both offer mock interviews, resume critiques, networking advice and all sorts of good stuff to polish your professional image prior to landing an internship or job.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    No problem. I don't know where you live during the summer months, but if you're willing to go a little bit further afield, the Indians organization is very good about hiring interns in their major and minor league organizations. The Indians offer a career fair every year, as does their AA team, the Akron Aeros. Mark Shapiro likes to give opportunities to talented "non-baseball" people to help them get in the door. Don't know if the Columbus team will join the fold in this manner.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I agree with everything Yachtzee said -- send tons and tons of letters. If it were me, I'd focus on minor league offices, since there are more of them and the odds of you getting to do actual work (as opposed to grunt intern work) is probably a little greater. Here locally, I'd look at the Cincinnati Cyclones (who might actually have something you can do right now, schedule permitting), Florence Freedom and Dayton Dragons. This is really a numbers game, though -- so send as much as possible!

If possible, call the team offices before you write and find out who does hiring for the front office. Address your letter to those people and explain what you're looking to do. Include a resume as well. Ideally, your letter should be no longer than 1 page and your resume should be no longer than 1 page as well.

Just as some general job-hunting techniques that were given to me in law school:

* - If you don't already have one, get an e-mail address through gmail or hotmail that is a "professional" e-mail contact. This e-mail address should be your name in either firstlast@gmail.com or first.last@gmail.com format. Using a school e-mail is OK, but you'll appreciate having an address like this later, when they shut your school mail off after graduation.

* - If you are on Myspace, Facebook or some other social networking site, set your accounts to "private" or "viewable by friends only." Employers are starting to google perspective hires, and you don't want to give anyone a reason not to hire you because of any photos or things written on your page.

* - Use your college career services office, but also consider contacting your high school alumni office, fraternity (if you're a member) national office, etc. to see if they have lists of people in your field that might be good direct contacts.

Good luck!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

minor league teams will be hiring soon. Even if you can't get an internship yet, apply for jobs as usher/ticket sales/ticket taker. They'll work with your school schedule, and it will give your experience for your resume when you apply for those internships later. You won't make a lot of money, but you will gain experience.

Also, check with US athletic department. Baseball season starts soon, and I would think they might employ some students at the ball park. Or track and field. Or other sports that have not started their season yet.

The more positions you try the better.

It's a stretch, but the Reds also offer internship programs. I'm sure you would have a very busy schedule, but it would be a great experience.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Retired

Go over to the UC athletic office and explain, they probably have something you could do, especially if you are willing to be un-paid. Would cut out any driving expenses.

Turn Off Ads?