Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzalez healthy for spring training

Gonzalez healthy for spring training

Gonzalez healthy for Spring Training
    Shortstop missed 2008 season following left knee surgery

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- An examination of Reds shortstop Alex Gonzalez's left knee on Saturday brought some positive news.

Gonzalez, who missed all of the 2008 season with a compression fracture that required surgery, is expected to be fully ready for the start of Spring Training in three weeks.

Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek examined Gonzalez in Miami, Fla.

"Tim put Alex through a series of tests and agility drills and was very pleased with what he saw," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said in a statement released by the team. "We expect Alex to be ready to participate at 100 percent in all drills on Day 1 of Spring Training."

The news should be a relief to the Reds, who were counting on having Gonzalez return to being their everyday shortstop following his lost season. The club does have insurance in infielders Jeff Keppinger and Jerry Hairston Jr., who was re-signed to a one-year contract earlier this month.

Gonzalez will make $5.375 million in 2009 during the final season of a three-year, $14 million contract. There is a $6 million mutual option for 2010 with a $500,000 buyout.

In 2007, Gonzalez batted .272 with 16 home runs and 55 RBIs in 110 games. He is considered one of the better defensive shortstops in the National League, and having him back to combine with double-play partner Brandon Phillips should make Cincinnati's infield much stronger up the middle.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Gonzalez will help the infield defense. Expect Hairston to get a lot of playing time in left field.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 01-24-2009 at 10:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Gonzalez healthy for spring training

Wow, we needed some good news. Skeptical it will hold up, but I'll take it for now.

I'm from Missouri. (not really, but you gotta show me)

I don't believe it, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I'm from Missouri. (not really, but you gotta show me)

I don't believe it, honestly.

Are you saying that this may not be what it says? That if "win now" isn't literal, then "participate in all drills" might mean that he'll be able to walk without crutches?

Just asking.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

It would be huge if Gonzalez could return and play at least average defense and OPS in the .740 area.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Are you saying that this may not be what it says? That if "win now" isn't literal, then "participate in all drills" might mean that he'll be able to walk without crutches?

Just asking.

Senor Votto

And your #2 hitter of the season is: Seabass

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    And your #2 hitter of the season is: Seabass
    Nah, it'll be Hairston out in LF, Alex will be the 6 hitter, gotta split those lefties ya know.
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

Gonzalez's condition will soon be downgraded from healthy to rusty.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

FWIW, Gonzalez was in Caracas to see his teammates from the Leones take on the Tigres in the Venezuelan Final series.
    He reported his condition as being 90%. He said he still had to build up strength in his quadriceps.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Nah, it'll be Hairston out in LF, Alex will be the 6 hitter, gotta split those lefties ya know.
    SS bats second.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Still to be seen:

1. Will he still be healthy by say, Memorial Day?
    2. Will he be any good at all after a season and a half of not playing?
    3. Will his range return to even average levels or will the trend of lost range continue (and accelerate) with the injury and inactivity?
    4. Will the .793 OPS of 393 AB in 2007 return or will it be the .696, .687, .689 from the three seasons before?

I predict a guy with diminished range (well below average to say the Keppinger level) and about a .690 OPS. A healthy Gonzalez will probably be the best alternative on the team, but he hardly fixes this position. SS play will be more like 2008 than 2007 for the Reds in 2009. A deal for a young SS of the future is still necessary and would be a huge boost if it happened before opening day. I'm skeptical Gonzalez will last beyond the end of May.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

"Gonzalez, who missed all of the 2008 season with a compression fracture that required surgery, is expected to be fully ready for the start of Spring Training in three weeks."

OK. But will he actually be able to play once opening day comes? And at what level?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    SS bats second.
    True, but maybe he'll graduate to the 3 spot of respect
    Go Gators!

cant believe you guys, you take great news and turn it into a negative, this is why I casually come to this board anymore

Turn Off Ads?