Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Girls High School Basketball Coach Fired After 100-0 Game

Re: Girls High School Basketball Coach Fired After 100-0 Game

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    It's sad that it came to this. I can understand if the best players played the whole game. I could also understand if they put up 30 in the fourth quarter. However, twelve points is taking it easy on an opponent. Like was pointed out earlier, the fans were the reason it was taken like this. If they just would have kept quiet, there might be a fuss about this, but I doubt they would have fired the coach.
    To clarify apparently Covenant began taking it easy with four minutes left to play in the game once they scored their 100th point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

They could have "let" the other team score a couple of goals. Saw a Real Sports segment where the opposing team let a handicapped player shoot a goal. Isn't that what sportsmanship is supposed to be?

I think the thing that's getting missed here is that this coach probably would still have his job if he hadn't sent that idiotic e-mail to the newspaper. He didn't get fired right away for winning 100-0, it wasn't until after calling out his bosses publicly that he got canned. Never a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    They could have "let" the other team score a couple of goals. Saw a Real Sports segment where the opposing team let a handicapped player shoot a goal. Isn't that what sportsmanship is supposed to be?
    Well these girls weren't handicapped. So, no, I don't believe they should have 'let' them score.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Let's say your daughter plays on a really good team and doesn't get to play very often. And then when she does get a chance to play and actually score you're supposed to sit on your hands and shut your mouth?
    The opposing team hasn't won a game in 4 years!! The coach should have started the scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    The opposing team hasn't won a game in 4 years!! The coach should have started the scrubs.
    I disagree. You still treat it like a real game. And as CE said above maybe that other team shouldn't be playing if other teams are going to be expected to start their "scrubs". Maybe Dallas Academy should be playing other schools JV teams.

I disagree. You still treat it like a real game. And as CE said above maybe that other team shouldn't be playing if other teams are going to be expected to start their "scrubs". Maybe Dallas Academy should be playing other schools JV teams.
    Well, he played it your way and now he's unemployed. Great career move.

Am I missing something? Did somebody get hurt?

My argument is that this game never should have been played to begin with.

Of course, it takes two to tango. As much as we can criticize Covenant for winning 100-0, would it be fair to criticize Dallas Academy for getting into a game that they knew would end up extremely lopsided with no benefit to either team?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Of course, it takes two to tango. As much as we can criticize Covenant for winning 100-0, would it be fair to criticize Dallas Academy for getting into a game that they knew would end up extremely lopsided with no benefit to either team?
    I agree, the game never should have been scheduled. Both schools had to know what they were getting into with this game.

I'm torn on this and I assume we don't know the whole story. Like someone else said, especially at the high school level, a coach is a teacher more than anything. High school sports offer a fantastic opportunity to develop the whole self: mentally, phsyically, socially, and in the development of character.

The values of integrity, respect, sportsmanship, and teamwork should be the number one thing a high school coach tries to pass on to his or her players. Focusing on wins and losses and the scoreboard is the absolute wrong way to coach high school sports (and most of the time gets in the way of winning). Firing a coach based on a score of a game is in total contradiction to that philosophy. The school is essentially sending the message that the final score is more important than those values a high school coach is supposed to be conveying.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

I agree the game should never have been scheduled. Both schools have some degree of responsibiliy.

I don't know the coach of Covenant but he seems to be a "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" type personality. If that is the case, he needed to schedule like minded schools. Dallas Academy obviously wasn't that kind of school.

I think there is enough blame for everyone.

Dallas Academy put their kids in a bad situation. As others have said, that game shouldn't have been played. If your team has issues with ability, you owe it to the kids to put them in a league where they at least have a prayer of winning. To put them in a league where they are completely over their heads is just setting them up to get drilled repeatedly. What lesson is learned then?

For Covenant, I think you need to know when enough is enough. My kids have played on good teams where they clearly outclass the opponent. The coach does say that we owe it to the other team to play our best. Which the kids then do and beat the tar out of the other team.

But when the issue is no longer in doubt, you've scored enough so that there is absolutely no way the other team will come back (like leading 59-0 at half), the coach should empty the bench, pull back the defense, slow down the offense, and allow some semblence of face-saving for the other team.

If you read that article that Sandy posted, the Covenant point guard scored 48 points off numerous steals and was described as a "lay-up drill". If that were my kids, I'd say "OK, let's stop doing that, let them bring the ball up court and see if they can run an offense".

I believe that if you have the ability, you should honor it and use it and beat the snot out of a team. But there is a difference between beating the snot out of a team and grinding totally and completely under your boot heel and show no mercy. Yeah its a tough cruel world, but this still is children playing sports.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Let's say your daughter plays on a really good team and doesn't get to play very often. And then when she does get a chance to play and actually score you're supposed to sit on your hands and shut your mouth?
    No, not my point at all. I'm trying to say that the parents were allegedly cheering to get teh score up to 100. That's just not right. However, I fully expect a parent to cheer for their child. I also expect them to have the courtesy not to be pointlessly cheering.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Well, he played it your way and now he's unemployed. Great career move.
    What does that have to do with anything? And by most accounts he was fired for his email after the game, not for the way he handled the game.

And further more, even if he was he fired for the way he handled the game, he should have gone against his principles just save his job? If he felt treating the game as a real game waa thw right thing to do, but knew he was going to get in trouble for treating it that way, then I have respect for him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    How is it showing "sportsmanship" to take pity on an opposing team and let the other team score? What message is THAT sending: "Sorry, we know you suck really badly, so here -- take a couple meaningless layups and see if you can make a few shots when we're not trying?" Same deal with just sitting on the ball, running the four corners and not shooting -- it's just pitying and pathetic to the opposition.

Really, the truly sportsman-like way to handle this situation would've been for the coach at the Covenant school to go to the other school's coach and ask them to forfeit after 1 quarter or the first half once it became obvious that the game was out of hand.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?