Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who do you think will start the year as our 5th starter?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homer Bailey

21 13.55%
  • Ramon Ramirez

17 10.97%
  • Micah Owings

108 69.68%
  • Daryl Thompson

5 3.23%
  • Nick Masset

1 0.65%
  • Other (name him in thread below)

3 1.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think will start the year as our 5th starter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Who do you think will start the year as our 5th starter?

Who do you think will start the year as our 5th starter? I see all of these guys getting starts as injuries begin to happen but, who will get the lion's share of starts this year?

Re: Who do you think will start the year as our 5th starter?

I see the fifth starter being Micah Owings. I hate to say it, but him being the centerpiece of the trade involving Dunn automatically means that he will be given every oppertunity to prove himself. He is a good pitcher, with a good fastball, and some good off-speed pitches.

Now if the question was "Who Should Start the Year as the Fifth Starter?" Then I would go with Daryll Thompson. He has an electric fastball, and two nasty off-speed pitches. His change is already MLB quality, and his curve is very good.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Now if the question was "Who Should Start the Year as the Fifth Starter?" Then I would go with Daryll Thompson. He has an electric fastball, and two nasty off-speed pitches. His change is already MLB quality, and his curve is very good.
    Everyone feel free to answer the question in this fashion if they like. Throw in a part 2 to your thread submission and say who you think would perform at the highest level as a SP in the 5th spot.

I would like to see Homer Bailey earn the role.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 01-28-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I see the fifth starter being Micah Owings. I hate to say it, but him being the centerpiece of the trade involving Dunn automatically means that he will be given every oppertunity to prove himself. He is a good pitcher, with a good fastball, and some good off-speed pitches.

I would say whoever wins the job in spring training. Obviously we have won the Dunn deal simply by the fact he still has not signed with anyone, getting 3 players who may have some value will be better than what the D-Backs look to be having in return for Dunn after not offering Arb. Which we probably would not have done either.

I put in Ramon, although I think it's a tossup between he and Owings. I got to see Ramon pitch this past year, and I was impressed with the potential.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

I think it's Owings to lose. What a problem to have though, both Ramirez and Thompson are looming.

Phil Hughes

I think Owens has to be the favorite going in if he's healthy.

Who do I think or who do I want? I want Owings as the 5th starter but have a feeling it will be Bailey.

I'm guessing it will be Owings, but I'm still holding out that there's a chance that Homer comes out this spring and is lights out down in Florida. I'm still not ready to write him off completely.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

I still think something might happen with the Giants in Spring training. Depends on what Lowry, EE, Franciso, Alonso and and the pitchers mentioned in the poll. So I will say Lowry or Sanchez. How about that for a answer

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

people are all over bailey.

Do you guys realize how bad Micah Owings was last year? He's going to be horrid in our ballpark.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

How about taking a minor league deal with Mulder for another arm in the 5th starter mix.

Owings will have the job but if he blows it they have 3 other guys-Thompson, ramirez, and Bailey. So hopefully one of these guys is good.

Starting out of the gate I think it will be Owings. but I think it will be a tight race between him, Bailey, and Ramirez with Ramirez getting the final nod.

Turn Off Ads?