Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cubs close to acquiring Aaron Heilman

High five!

Cubs close to acquiring Aaron Heilman

Here:

10:55am: Ken Rosenthal confirms the deal, saying the Cubs are on the verge of landing Heilman for Cedeno and a minor league pitcher. The deal is expected to be announced today.

10:25am: According to ESPN Radio's Bruce Levine, the Cubs are close to acquiring pitcher Aaron Heilman from the Mariners. The Ms want shortstop Ronny Cedeno and pitching in return. Heilman was dealt to Seattle in the J.J. Putz trade earlier this winter. Earlier this month, Ken Rosenthal mentioned that the Mariners were likely willing to trade Heilman, "who they did not consider a key component of the Putz trade."

Heilman, 30, is set to earn $1.625MM in '09. He'll be eligible for free agency after the 2010 season.

Levine also mentioned that three teams are interested in out-of-options Cubs hurler Rich Hill.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs close to acquiring Aaron Heilman

when you look at the list of forums before signing in, this topic shows "Cubs close to acquiring Aaron...". Had me scared for a sec there!
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Heilman Hill and Cedeno are three guys the Reds should be looking at

Done deal.

Heilman for Cedeno and Olson.

Kind of weird that the Cubs weren't willing/able to simply trade Pie for Heilman straight up. Seems like the Mariners would be aching for another young outfielder right about now.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Kind of weird that the Cubs weren't willing/able to simply trade Pie for Heilman straight up. Seems like the Mariners would be aching for another young outfielder right about now.
    Ichiro
    Franklin Gutierrez
    Endy Chavez
    Wladimir Balentin

Why would they need another OF?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

jojo should be excited...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    jojo should be excited...
    I'm already used to the notion that an Ms deal is a good one. This isn't a marquee trade but there's upside with Cedeno and Olsen is a decent bet to contribute some useful innings.

Heilman is a better pitcher than Olsen but Cedeno/Olsen is better for the Ms than Heilman.

Maybe Yuni will rediscover his range with some competition in spring training.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Any trade that sends Cubs prospects packing is fine by me. They have enough talent to be competitive for a while, but I hope their lack of minor league depth catches up to them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Any trade that sends Cubs prospects packing is fine by me. They have enough talent to be competitive for a while, but I hope their lack of minor league depth catches up to them soon.
    Yep, at this point I don't really care if they improve from a 98-win team to a 99-win team if it mortgages their future...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Ichiro
    Franklin Gutierrez
    Endy Chavez
    Wladimir Balentin

Why would they need another OF?
    The Chavez/Gutierrez duo certainly strikes fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Chavez/Gutierrez duo certainly strikes fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers.
    and bravado in the hearts of their own....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

And Pie would?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Heilman playing in Chicago? They should call him "Old Style."

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    And Pie would?
    Younger that the other two, and projects to be a much, much better hitter. Plus he's a good fielder. So yeah, Pie would be better than Chavez and Gutierrez.

Turn Off Ads?