Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: United States Men's National Team: The March to South Africa

Re: United States Men's National Team: The March to South Africa

HR: The best time to use a cross from the wing into the middle is when you're playing what is called an "early ball." In other words, on a break, when the defense is likely pulled out of position, it is better to play the ball on the ground than through the air b/c of the nature of the two types of service, a player has a higher chance of scoring on a ball played on the ground *IF* there is no defender on their hip. Conversely, if the defense is back and in position, a cross played on the ground is almost certainly a wasted opportunity because it is easily defensed.

What I REALLY love about this team is the complete absence of ego. Just look at the third goal last night. Bradley or Donovan could have easily settled for a shot but there is simply no person on this team who plays the game with any ego whatsoever. I love it. The philosophy reminds me of some of my favorite teams to play on growing up, especially some of my indoor teams. I honestly got no greater pleasure than setting up a teammate for a sitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I heard Harkes make mention of a couple of times that the service was a step too late.

By the way, I really like Harkes as an announcer. Maybe its just the improvement from the horror that was Marcelo Balboa but I think he's provided pretty good analysis. A little bit too much "we" and "our" for my liking but that may just be me.

I also liked him calling out Pedro Gomez on the "Well I also got to speak with Jozy Altidore line"

Oh really Pedro, you also got to speak with Jozy, good for you.

I have zero complaints with this crew, ESPECIALLY after Marcelo and O'Brien. Marcelo especially... wow... he was the worst.

In other games - Beckham again uses the, set play to make his mark as England wins 2-1 over the Ukraine, Belerus scored 5 goals, Spain makes one last run in extra time and beat the resilient Turks 2-1 and France takes Lithuania 1-0 - Italy tied Ireland (with 10 men) 1-1

WOY did you see that Bolivia beat Argentina SIX to ONE?!?!?!?!? My lord.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    WOY did you see that Bolivia beat Argentina SIX to ONE?!?!?!?!? My lord.
    Missed that... wow..wow... that game was at a 11,500 altitude, BRUTAL, just brutal... that's got to play into that smashing loss.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    In other games - Beckham again uses the, set play to make his mark as England wins 2-1 over the Ukraine, Belerus scored 5 goals, Spain makes one last run in extra time and beat the resilient Turks 2-1 and France takes Lithuania 1-0 - Italy tied Ireland (with 10 men) 1-1
    The English constantly rag on Becks and all he does for them is create goals. He might be he most overrated/underrated athlete I've ever seen. Every time they try to get rid of him, he saves them. Unreal.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I'm not sure whether I love the turmoil in Mexico or that I am disappointed. I love having the rivalry. It might be the one game in any sport that I will NEVER miss, regardless of the circumstances. But, I do hate to see them flounder. It would be nice to have another CONCACAF team do well on the world stage.

Screw Mexico. I wouldn't care if they never won another match.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The English constantly rag on Becks and all he does for them is create goals. He might be he most overrated/underrated athlete I've ever seen. Every time they try to get rid of him, he saves them. Unreal.
    Beckham is still a good player. One of my colleagues with Chivas had a good analogy of him, Steve Nash. When he is placed on a roster with bonified finishers (AC Milan or England) he can create chances with the best, but his talent is wasted when paired with inferior talent (Galaxy).

Screw Mexico. I wouldn't care if they never won another match.
    I really don't agree. We need a tough opponent or two to prepare us for the World Cup Finals. If all we ever see is T&T, Costa Rica, and Jamaica, we are really going to suffer. Brazil needs Argentina, Europe needs its major players, and the US needs Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I really don't agree. We need a tough opponent or two to prepare us for the World Cup Finals. If all we ever see is T&T, Costa Rica, and Jamaica, we are really going to suffer. Brazil needs Argentina, Europe needs its major players, and the US needs Mexico.
    We've been kicking Mexico's ass for years now... they'll always be decent but you're nuts if you think I'm ever going to root for their dirty tricks playing team. I hate them more than I hate any other team in the world. We don't need them at all. We schedule plenty of world class opponents who do a better job of preparing us for big tournaments than kicking Mexico's ass.

We're also playing in the Confederations Cup right before we go to South Africa.

We've been kicking Mexico's ass for years now... they'll always be decent but you're nuts if you think I'm ever going to root for their dirty tricks playing team. I hate them more than I hate any other team in the world. We don't need them at all. We schedule plenty of world class opponents who do a better job of preparing us for big tournaments than kicking Mexico's ass.

We're also playing in the Confederations Cup right before we go to South Africa.
    I do agree that we play some tough opponents, but not too often in games that matter. Friendlies don't have the edge to them that a WC qualifier does and neither do things like the Confederations Cup. Teams aren't playing all of their best guys. They are experimenting with lineups and young guys. It's just not the same.

Let me explain myself better... Honestly, I don't have any sympathy for Mexico because I know that Mexico will be fine. You don't have to worry about Mexico not searching for an answer to any problems that arise. They paid top dollar for Sven-Göran Eriksson and he was fired after their last qualifying loss (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...65202386_x.htm).

Here's the thing... I know that Mexico and their fans would HOPE and PRAY if such things were happening to the USA that they would continue to malign us. They would feel ZERO sympathy.

But I also know that Mexican soccer will always be at a high level because their country won't stand for anything less. There is just so much actual, fully bought and paid for bad feelings between these two teams...

Let me explain myself better... Honestly, I don't have any sympathy for Mexico because I know that Mexico will be fine. You don't have to worry about Mexico not searching for an answer to any problems that arise. They paid top dollar for Sven-Göran Eriksson and he was fired after their last qualifying loss (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...65202386_x.htm).

Here's the thing... I know that Mexico and their fans would HOPE and PRAY if such things were happening to the USA that they would continue to malign us. They would feel ZERO sympathy.

But I also know that Mexican soccer will always be at a high level because their country won't stand for anything less. There is just so much actual, fully bought and paid for bad feelings between these two teams...
    I agree 100%. I love to see Mexico squabble in house (the same goes for Tennessee football and Indiana basketball). But, I know that to some degree we need them to be at least decent.

Turn Off Ads?