Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds may want Gonzo for bench

Reds may want Gonzo for bench

But payroll concerns may keep team from free-agent outfielder
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Perhaps the Reds aren't finished making maneuvers after all.
    They still in need some bench depth, and one possibility could be veteran outfielder Luis Gonzalez. In recent weeks, it's believed that Gonzalez and his agent also made strong overtures that he would like to play for Cincinnati.

"We're still looking to improve our bench and find the right guys. He's a guy we like," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said, when asked about Gonzalez. "We're exploring every option, and if the right fit comes around, we'll take a look at it."

Gonzalez is 41 and a veteran of 19 Major League seasons and has a reputation for being a positive clubhouse influence. He also remains a productive hitter.

Last season in 136 games for the Marlins, Gonzalez batted .261 with eight home runs and 47 RBIs. Over his career with the Astros, Cubs, Tigers, Diamondbacks, Dodgers and Marlins, the five-time All-Star has 354 home runs, including a career-high 57 with Arizona in 2001.

After the front office announced last week that the Reds had reached their payroll limit for 2009, no more acquisitions were expected. Cincinnati has $61.875 million allocated to 11 players, including reliever David Weathers, who re-signed Wednesday. Add the arbitration case that is pending with third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, and the signing of 0-3-year (non-arbitration-eligible) players, and the payroll is expected to be around the $74 million figure it was in 2008.

However with more than 100 free agents -- an unheard-of number -- still available as of Thursday with about two weeks before Spring Training opens, the market could be teeming with serious bargains.

Among the other veterans still looking for teams that could fill a pinch-hitter's role are Jim Edmonds, Kevin Millar, Rich Aurilia and Daryle Ward.

With the Reds' 40-man roster full, any additions would likely be offered Minor League contracts with an invite to big league camp.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

"Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds may want Gonzo for bench

The Reds have no left handed hitters on their bench right now. Their options currently are Lance Nix, Danny Richar and Wilken Castillo. They also have very little depth in the outfield in case anyone gets injured.

I am not a huge fan of Luis Gonzalez, but if he can be had for close to league minimum and in this market, that should be easy to do, he would be a nice addition to the bench and fill a big need as a lefty pinch hitter.

I like Gonzo but at this point in his career I dont think he brings anything that we couldnt already find in our own organization.

Don't risk giving Duhhhsty any more rope, he's got enough to hang himself with. Just gow with Laynce Nix if youre that worried about the bench he couldnt be much worse hitting than Gonzo and is actually young. Gonzo has no future, if youre punting this year at least go with the guy who could maybe stick around if the cards fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Nix is actually MUCH worse at the plate than Gonzalez was last year. You're right that Gonzo has no future, but the Reds wouldn't sign him for the future, they would sign him for this season. If he would come for less than $2 million, I would try it. He had a better offensive season at 40 years old last year than:

Corey Patterson
    Willy Taveras
    Norris Hopper
    Ryan Freel
    Jonny Gomes
    Juan Rivera

I'd say he's a proven LH bench bat with an occasional start in LF. I'd rather have him at the plate in a close game than Gomes.

I say that as long as we are looking at him as a bench player, and that we don't give him any big money, I am more than fine with Gonzo. He brings a good LH bat off the bench, and he brings experience (World Series experience at that).
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I don't like this at all. The main reason is because of Dusty. If he was signed to be a left handed pinch hitter and very seldom used outfielder, that's okay. If he is brought in and looked at in any way to start I would be disgusted. Somehow Dickerson needs to get his chance, maybe he implodes but I at least want to see him get a shot. You didn't sign any quality outfielders to play left field... so give Dickerson a chance to play his way on or off the field in 2010 when we hope to have some reinforcements from the minors.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Dead end street.

Plus if we sign him we all know he'll end up being pushed as an everyday player where he's no longer effective. Come on Reds. Its wasted money
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Luis Gonzalez should platoon with Jonny Gomes, let Jerry Hairston platoon with Chris Dickerson and trade Willy Taveras.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    Luis Gonzalez should platoon with Jonny Gomes, let Jerry Hairston platoon with Chris Dickerson and trade Willy Taveras.
    Thats the one scenario I could actually agree to signing Gonzo .
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Signing Gonzo will mean Dusty batting him 3rd out of respect.

Ugh, mark me down for someone who would flat out PASS on LuGo. Too many teams out there who are in the Reds' situation sign guys like him for "veteran" leadership" reasons, but beyond the name recognition, what you have beyond that is just an old guy desperate to stick around. I would rather go the minor league route or actually go out and make a real move on the free agency marked than paying tribute to a guy who peaked long, long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Nix is actually MUCH worse at the plate than Gonzalez was last year. You're right that Gonzo has no future, but the Reds wouldn't sign him for the future, they would sign him for this season. If he would come for less than $2 million, I would try it. He had a better offensive season at 40 years old last year than:

Corey Patterson
    Willy Taveras
    Norris Hopper
    Ryan Freel
    Jonny Gomes
    Juan Rivera

I'd say he's a proven LH bench bat with an occasional start in LF. I'd rather have him at the plate in a close game than Gomes.
    Good point.I'm not a big Gonzo fan but he would be a ok addition.More then anything I'm happy to here that there is still a possibility the team might still add at least one more guy.

I would say "sign him",as mentioned it will most likely a minor league contract.He bring the experience we need off the bench,can still start once in awhile,what do we have to loose.

I'm sick of trinkets, If we don't get a middle of the order power bat, it's all pointless anyway, they might as well find the 25 cheapest guys they can, and have a 160 mill. payroll next year.

Turn Off Ads?