Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Weathers, Reds avoid arbitration with $3.9M deal

Re: Weathers, Reds avoid arbitration with $3.9M deal

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser View Post
    Gotta agree with OnBaseMachine. Weathers time has passed. Remember Mike Stanton? Don't let things regress to a similar situation.
    But this has been the manta on Redszone since he returned to the Reds, hasn't it? Certainly every players time runs out, but Weathers continues to get it done overall. He's not Mike Stanton, IMO.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mike Stanton had two seasons of ERA as LOW as Weathers is right now. Just because he blew a game last night doesn't mean he's washed up. Heck, his ERA his 2.76, and his whip is 1.16. I know his BABIP is low, but give the guy a break.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    But this has been the manta on Redszone since he returned to the Reds, hasn't it? Certainly every players time runs out, but Weathers continues to get it done overall. He's not Mike Stanton, IMO.
    Masset's the flavor of the month. He'll get moved to the 8th and then, when he runs his course, they will be calling for his head as well.

Just keep in mind that if Bruce hits a fly ball during the fourth inning rally, the Reds have three runs and Cordero pitches the ninth.

Or if Nix ran the bases better to prevent the double play.

That was where the game was lost last night. Bruce hits tons of fly balls, but not there. I'm not sure Nix could have prevented the DP but he didn't make it close.

Yeah, Weathers was out there too long and gave it up. But the real reason for the loss was the failure to cash in during a rally when the opposing pitcher was on the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sorry for bumping this but I didn't want to start another thread.

Will someone please explain to me why Dusty Baker continues to use David Weathers in crucial situations? He's simply not an eighth inning pitcher. He throws 88 mph fastballs and a flat slider. I think Dusty Baker is the only person in baseball who thinks Weathers is a high leverage arm. Use Masset in the 8th inning, he's a much better option.

I'm looking forward to the day David Weathers is no longer a Red. Nothing against the guy, he seems like a great guy, but I'm just so tired of seeing him misused by the Reds. He's fine as a 7th inning guy but he doesn't belong in the setup role.
    Your quote is nonsense to me, its like people being upset at Phillips because Dusty continues to bat him clean up. Weathers has no control over whether Dusty brings him out in the 7th or 8th inning, he takes the ball when the manager gives it to him. I mean this is the same David Weathers sporting a 2.76 ERA and .202 BA against.

In looking at your quotes over the years Weathers has been here I can see that there is a pretty long pattern of disdain directed at the guy from you. Everyone bashes Willy T, some like to bash McDonald, I guess Weathers is your guy. Personally I think when you factor in all his faults and the ups and downs this guy has had he has and continues to be a pretty good option out in the bullpen to call on in the 7th or 8th inning.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Your quote is nonsense to me, its like people being upset at Phillips because Dusty continues to bat him clean up. Weathers has no control over whether Dusty brings him out in the 7th or 8th inning, he takes the ball when the manager gives it to him. I mean this is the same David Weathers sporting a 2.76 ERA and .202 BA against.

In looking at your quotes over the years Weathers has been here I can see that there is a pretty long pattern of disdain directed at the guy from you. Everyone bashes Willy T, some like to bash McDonald, I guess Weathers is your guy. Personally I think when you factor in all his faults and the ups and downs this guy has had he has and continues to be a pretty good option out in the bullpen to call on in the 7th or 8th inning.
    His comments were more directed towards Dusty's misuse of him, and his disdain for the fact that we have guys on our roster that continue and will continue to be misused by our incompetent manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    His comments were more directed towards Dusty's misuse of him, and his disdain for the fact that we have guys on our roster that continue and will continue to be misused by our incompetent manager.
    It doesn't matter how Dusty uses him OBM has always had a thing for Weathers.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Incompetent eh?

Just like all the Reds managers since 1995 eh?

Yawn....... bigger problems than Dusty, much bigger

How was he misused last night? The guy had a bad outing. He is allowed to have a hiccup. He has been realy good this year.

This is moreso an indictment of the entire bullpen rather than strictly Weathers, though Weathers is certainly contributing to this, but the walks allowed by the relievers are getting out of hand.

Cordero, Rhodes and Weathers each have a BB/9 rate around 4, and their combined BB/9 rate is 4.05. They're all having nice seasons other than the walk rates - their home run rates are particularly nice - but if those walk rates don't come down a bit from their current levels then those sparkling ERAs are likely to spike up in the second half and we'll start seeing more games like we saw last night.

FWIW, Reds relievers as a whole have a BB/9 rate of 4.40 - that's brutal.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

High five!

I was wondering why Dusty didn't use Cordero in the 9th.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I will say that Weathers' low ERA and WHIP always surprise me because his stuff looks pedestrian at best. But you can't argue with the long-term results.

However, every time they send him out there in a crucial situation, I am much-more nervous than I am when Rhodes, Masset or Cordero are on the mound. Maybe it's because I believe I could actually hit Weathers (which of course I couldn't, but keep in mind I'm not that intelligent).

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just keep in mind that if Bruce hits a fly ball during the fourth inning rally, the Reds have three runs and Cordero pitches the ninth.

Or if Nix ran the bases better to prevent the double play.

That was where the game was lost last night. Bruce hits tons of fly balls, but not there. I'm not sure Nix could have prevented the DP but he didn't make it close.

Yeah, Weathers was out there too long and gave it up. But the real reason for the loss was the failure to cash in during a rally when the opposing pitcher was on the ropes.
    Bruce obviously didn't get the job done, but Nix made two baserunning blunders that cost the Reds a run. The first one was on the sac fly by Ramon Hernandez when Werth threw the ball home for some reason. Nix could have walked to second base but stayed at first. The second blunder was during the DP that you mentioned. Dusty didn't seem too happy about that after the game. That's about the third time a Reds baserunner has done that this season.

I agree with your last sentence. The problem last night was clearly the offense, like it is most nights.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Masset's BABIP is .207 this year, with a career BABIP of .316.
    Good point. Maybe Masset is not any better than Weathers for the 8th inning.

But Masset only has 144 IP in his career, and most of his stats were acquired when he was still figuring things out. Possibly he's more like the guy he was in Texas and Chicago, and will revert back to that. Or possibly he has figured out how to pitch, and will continue to pitch like he has this season. He might be able to sustain a low BABIP, like many good relievers. We just don't know.

We know all we need to know about Weathers. And the most important fact we know about him is that he is the type of pitcher who goes up there, throws strikes and lets the hitters get themselves out. That relies on luck. 70% of the time, they will make outs, but 30% of the time, they'll get on base. There will be times, which he can not control, when a team will get a bunch of that 30% at one time and score a run.
    That is why he is best suited for the 6th or 7th inning. The game is rarely on the line, if he gives a run, there is time to get it back.
    When he pitches in the 8th and 9th inning, the game is one the line, and if he gives up a run, the game is basically over. Also, you want your 8th inning guy to be able to get an out, particularly a strike out, when he needs it, usually against the teams best hitters.
    Not sure Masset is that guy, but I know for sure that Weathers is not.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Reds got beat last night the same way the Phillies got beat the night before. It happens in baseball. For the season Weathers has done his job pretty damn well. The pitch that Victorino hit IMO was a good pitch. It was down on the outside corner of the zone that Victorino managed to get his bat on. Weathers lost the game last night but to say he is a bad pitcher and needs to go is a gross overreaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Mike Stanton had two seasons of ERA as LOW as Weathers is right now. Just because he blew a game last night doesn't mean he's washed up. Heck, his ERA his 2.76, and his whip is 1.16. I know his BABIP is low, but give the guy a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Masset's the flavor of the month. He'll get moved to the 8th and then, when he runs his course, they will be calling for his head as well.
    I agree with all of the above. While I understand that eventually, Weathers will be "done", just like all players, and I never feel completely comfortable with him in the game, more often the not, the guy gets the job done. Many people here have been predicting each year would be the end of the road for him, yet he's proved them wrong by turning in solid season after solid season.

Turn Off Ads?