Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weathers, Reds avoid arbitration with $3.9M deal

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Weathers, Reds avoid arbitration with $3.9M deal

CINCINNATI (AP)—David Weathers and the Cincinnati Reds have avoided salary arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract that guarantees him $3.9 million.

The 39-year-old reliever has spent the last four years in Cincinnati, where he was 4-6 with a 3.25 ERA last season in 72 appearances. His deal Wednesday includes a $3.5 million salary this year and a $3.7 million club option for 2010 with a $400,000 buyout.

Weathers made $3.3 million last season. He asked for $4.6 million in arbitration and the club offered $3 million.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers, Reds avoid arbitration with $3.9M deal

Seems like a fair deal. I like Stormy. I understand that his smoke and mirrors may blow up any day now but he's really been great for this bullpen is recent years. He's done any role he's been asked to do and has done it fearlessly. He throws strikes and is very durable. Kind of a throwback to the rubber arm guys of yesteryear, think Rick Mahler. If guys like Reonicke can supplant him, fine but as of right now, Weathers is worthy of a spot in this bullpen.

They could have just about added Dye or Abreu for what we spent on Weathers, Lincoln and Taveras (plus the little pad left) and done just as well with youngsters at there spot. Oh well, hopeefully he'll get off to a decent start and someone will be willing to deal any kind of prospect for a veteran BP arm around the trade deadline.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I think Walt just made a bad bet. He thought Weathers would sign elsewhere, so he offered him arbitration to pick up the draft pick.

Once it went to arbitration it was a matter of limiting the potential damage.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Yeah, I really can't complain that much (but I will) . i would have taken the same gamble. Stormy (and his agent) were just one of the few in FA that made the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I think Walt just made a bad bet. He thought Weathers would sign elsewhere, so he offered him arbitration to pick up the draft pick.
    you'd think but based on a lot of what Walt said it sounds like he wanted Weathers back all along. he had a shiny ERA which hid the ugly WHIP.

4 million here---Weathers

2 million there---Taveras

Another 2 million over there---Hairston

Another several million in across the way---Rhodes

Man, it sure adds up quickly, doesn't it? Before you know it, you can't afford a difference-making bat in a market where difference making bats are ripe for the taking with a reasonable contract.

Rats.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    4 million here---Weathers

2 million there---Taveras

Another 2 million over there---Hairston

Another several million in across the way---Rhodes

Man, it sure adds up quickly, doesn't it? Before you know it, you can't afford a difference-making bat in a market where difference making bats are ripe for the taking with a reasonable contract.

Rats.
    Using your numbers, 4+2+2, that's at least 8 Million we could have spent on something important like, oh I dunno... offense?

And that doesn't even take into account Rhodes.

Weathers + Taveras + Hairston = huge burned pile o cash.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

Once it went to arbitration it was a matter of limiting the potential damage.
    I agree with Will. I think Walt was fine getting him back at basically what he was paid last year. I think he wants his veteran presence in the bullpen and his versatility.

I don't think Walt risked arbitration because he he coveted type B FA compensation. I think he genuinely likes the guy and compared to what he's paying folks like Lincoln and Taveras, he's not a bad value

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Using your numbers, 4+2+2, that's at least 8 Million we could have spent on something important like, oh I dunno... offense?

I hear you but in defense of Walt this organization had to pick up a couple OFs from somewhere. The farm system is not flush with "ready for the show" outfielders.

In particular they needed a CF. I don't think we wanted a Dickerson/Hopper platoon there

We needed a LHer n the pen and I might have preferred another, but I'm OK with Rhodes. I'm OK with Hairston too. Weathers, Taveras and Lincoln represent about $8;5Mthat could have been better spent elsewhere, IMO.

As it probably stands now:

1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS A. Gonzalez
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dickerson
    CF Taveras
    RF Bruce
    CA Hernanadez

UT Hairston
    UT Keppinger
    Of Gomes
    OF Hopper (or maybe) L Gonzalez
    CA Hannigan

Volquez
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Owings
    Massett/Ramirez
    Lincoln
    Bray
    Weathers
    Rhodes
    Burton
    Cordero

Move Dickerson into Taveras' spot in CF (sharing time with Hairston or Hopper), replace Dickerson in LF with Abreu or Dye (or even Swisher for that matter), give Massett Stormy's spot and substitute Roenicke or Fisher for Lincoln. They still might not be odds on favorites for the division (or even the WildCard), but they'd be much more interesting.

If Taveras' D is gonna make this team that much better, a ball better not touch the OF grass when the Reds are in the field.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-29-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Taveras is worse than Patterson on defense

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I hear you but in defense of Walt this organization had to pick up a couple OFs from somewhere. The farm system is not flush with "ready for the show" outfielders.

In particular they needed a CF. I don't think we wanted a Dickerson/Hopper platoon there
    I think you have been spot-on with your analysis of what Walt wanted, but a Dickerson/Hopper platoon would have been just as effective IMO...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

IMO they will probably have their CF play LF in a platoon, and IMO they still need a CF.

The sad part is I actually like the Gomes ST invite, and IMO he could be a great bargain, but that smell coming from GABP this year will be that pile o cash we're burning on Taveras in CF.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but Walt burned the cash on Taveras b/c Drew Stubbs isn't ready, and probably won't be ready until 2010 at the very earliest. IMO, he probably won't be ready until 2011. If Stubbs wasn't progressing at a snail's pace (given that he played 3 years of NCAA baseball), Walt could have spent money on a LF...

... but you're absolutely right that the Reds lack "ready now" OF. The Reds lack "ready now" guys at multiple positions, which is probably why Keith Law ranked the farm #26...

I think it says a lot about the state of the Reds when we're already having multiple discussions about Votto's athleticism as a determining factor about projecting his ability to play LF to make room for Alonso to play 1B. If we had guys that could actually play LF or other OF positions, we wouldn't have to shift an athletic 1B to play LF...

I think it says a lot about the state of the Reds when we're already having multiple discussions about Votto's athleticism as a determining factor about projecting his ability to play LF to make room for Alonso to play 1B. If we had guys that could actually play LF or other OF positions, we wouldn't have to shift an athletic 1B to play LF...
    Danny Dorn? Todd Frazier? And what would you plan on doing with Alonso and Votto then? Play them both at first base?

Turn Off Ads?