Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sir Albert wants Manny in St. Louis

Sir Albert wants Manny in St. Louis

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic -- Albert Pujols is encouraging the St. Louis Cardinals to sign Manny Ramirez.

The Cardinals slugger, who won his second NL MVP award in November, acknowledged the team might not have enough money to land the free-agent outfielder

"I speak with Manny every three days and he tells me, 'Man, no one wants to sign me,' Pujols said today during a news conference. "I'm not an agent or general manager, but I can't understand how Manny has not signed."

Pujols passed along Ramirez's telephone number to St. Louis manager Tony La Russa.

"Maybe St. Louis doesn't have the money to sign him, but he could give them a discount because St. Louis is a great city that supports its players," Pujols said.
    Last edited by WMR; 01-30-2009 at 12:21 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sir Albert wants Manny in St. Louis

That would not be good.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    "I'm not an agent or general manager, but I can't understand how Manny has not signed."

Pujols passed along Ramirez's telephone number to St. Louis manager Tony La Russa.

"Maybe St. Louis doesn't have the money to sign him, but he could give them a discount because St. Louis is a great city that supports its players," Pujols said.
    I find this to be hilarious.

Manny is holding out because he wants a premium; 4 years and 100 million, per Rosenthal and others. He and Boras are currently playing a staredown game with the Dodgers, who apparently only want him for 2 years at that price.

Why on earth would he give the Cardinals a discount, and are the Cards fans that much better than the Red Sox fans?
    sorry we're boring

Georgie would be "Giddy."

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

Manny is holding out because he wants a premium; 4 years and 100 million, per Rosenthal and others. He and Boras are currently playing a staredown game with the Dodgers, who apparently only want him for 2 years at that price.

Why on earth would he give the Cardinals a discount, and are the Cards fans that much better than the Red Sox fans?
    Yeah it is funny. Ballplayer logic.

Randy's right, though... can you imagine Albert-Manny 3/4 for St. Louis?

I don't see Boras and Manny giving a discount to anyone. They just don't seem like the type and they've given no indication of such

Red Sox fans probably pull a lot more "Beatlemania"-type nonsense. But Manny + discount = ridiculous.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Not the fans' fault, but the Red Sox did a pretty good smear job on Manny before they traded him. I think if you asked Manny about it, he would probably say that St Louis is a better baseball town than Boston (from Manny's point of view).

That said, I don't see Manny giving a discount to anyone. Last time he was a FA, he played Cleveland and Boston against each other for the maximum $$. IIRC, Cleveland's offer was only slightly less.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    That would not be good.
    I concur. We're talking Ruth and Gehrig.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not the fans' fault, but the Red Sox did a pretty good smear job on Manny before they traded him.

I don't know that I'd call it a smear job because Manny did quit on them and for that they do have a right to be awfully mad. If it was unwarranted I'd agree with the term smear. He refused to play and when sent up to pinch hit he struck out without ever taking the bat off his shoulder.

Next Year

Wow, that would be.....frightening.

I can't say whether he would give them a discount or not, but I can say this, St. Louis fans put us to great shame. They pack that place and they are loud; not obnoxious, but very loud. It's what I recall Cincinnati fans used to be. Given that they're not rude like Cubbie fans or crazy like some of the other teams' fans, I would imagine it would be great fun to play there. It's what the Reds should be aiming to restore.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    That would not be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post
    Wow, that would be.....frightening.
    Manny's a double-edged sword. Don't forget the potentially cancerous, me-first side of him. If he doesn't click with LaRussa or his teammates, adding him to the STL clubhouse could be a real plus for the rest of the division. Plus there's the opportunity cost of committing a bunch of the budget to him.
    /r/reds

The Cardinals have already said their not interested in Manny.

I don't like the Cardinals but that would be incredible to watch.

Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Manny's a double-edged sword. Don't forget the potentially cancerous, me-first side of him. If he doesn't click with LaRussa or his teammates, adding him to the STL clubhouse could be a real plus for the rest of the division. Plus there's the opportunity cost of committing a bunch of the budget to him.
    IMO one edge of that sword is a lot sharper than the other.

Turn Off Ads?