Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

RotoHester

Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

Talking to Jocketty
    Posted by JohnFay at 1/30/2009 4:07 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Walt Jocketty said that Reds continue to have conversations with free agents but not the kind of guys that will make headlines.

"I talked to some agents and gotten some e-mails," Jocketty said. "We're talking to some fringe guys who are trying to get into camp."

Jocketty said at this point the Reds are only talking about minor league contracts with invites to camp.

He downplayed the possibility of Luis Gonzalez being signed.

"I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "But that was several weeks ago."

The Reds have had contact with Ty Wigginton's representative.

"I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "They're getting close to desperate stage. But we're really only looking at bench help. I think that's the only type of guys we'll bring in -- if we do that."

One thing to keep in mind about Type A free agents: If you sign them now, you lose a draft pick. If you sign them after the June draft, there's no compensation.

"It's a possibility that you'll see guys go until then," Jocketty said.

Assistant GM Bob Miller is handling the negotiations with Edwin Encarnacion. "He hasn't talked to (Encarnacion's) agent in a few days," Jocketty said. "I still think we'll settle, but it will probably happen closer to the hearing date."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

"We need a right handed power bat" "someone who produces runs"
    "We're looking at some guys for the middle of the order"
    "With Griffey and Dunns contracts out, there is some free money to spend"
    BULLCRAP!

RotoHester

I am a HUGE baseball fan and I simply can't wait for the season to start. I am trying to stay as positive as possible about the upcoming season, but this has been a very disappointing winter. I had such high expectations for a few moves we'd make and unfortunately it seems we're just spinning our wheels...sigh

IMO, he has only been looking at fringe guys all winter. Case in point, Willy Taveras for CF. Walt's moves have been less than inspiring. Rhodes, Gomes, Nix, Hairston etc. People try to defend Jocketty by saying he hasn't made any really dumb moves. I'd counter that signing Taveras for $4 million for 2010, in today's economy, fits all the necessary criteria to be labeled a dumb move.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    "We need a right handed power bat" "someone who produces runs"
    "We're looking at some guys for the middle of the order"
    "With Griffey and Dunns contracts out, there is some free money to spend"
    BULLCRAP!
    I will second this. With the money that was freed up and with the price of middle-of-the-order bats sinking to the level that they have, it is pretty hard to believe that Walt still hasn't been able to check "priority one" off of his to-do list this winter. If he is waiting until June it might no longer be such a high priority. The Reds may be too far behind for it to matter all that much.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Man, if Luis Gonzalez doesn't qualify as a "fringe guy," I'm afraid to see who does...

Fringe guy---one who will gladly come off the bench to bat for the pitcher in the seventh inning and proceed to strike out.

jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Fringe guy---one who will gladly come off the bench to bat for the pitcher in the seventh inning and proceed to strike out.

jeromesredscare.blogspot.com
    Walt is starting to really tick me off. the Reds are close...have as good a chance of winning as they have in years...should have the money available...SAID they had money available...and then piddle the season away before it ever starts. It is getting really hard to be a Reds fan.

Even though Walt is saying this now, I've always felt that he didn't have to make the decision about a shortstop until the middle of March, when they'd have a good gauge not only on the potential year-long status of Alex Gonzalez, but a good read on the "price and value" of available shortstops to replace/supplement the Alex at SS.

Old Red Guard Reject

Walt continues to amaze me. He even publicly describes Wigginton as "desperate" and sits status quo. Does he even put out offers to these guys? The number of quality FA this year still available is very large. At least put some numbers out there and maybe someone will sign with the Reds. They have to play somewhere and the Reds certainly have holes.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Maybe he has his poker face on. He did a good job with the Alonso signing, waiting until the last day and getting a reasonable contract.

He could be waiting for the price to drop even more. I don't see the point in letting the other teams in the league publically know your plans.

Could be wrong.

It makes me regret the Taveras signing though.
    Last edited by Newport Red; 01-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Looking at what's still out there, Has anything happened with Garciaparra? He's a bit younger. Betwixt him and Gonzalez, who would you rather see off the bench, and why? (Just asking)......................

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The Tavares signing was a head scratcher, no doubt.

I still hope that this is all a part of some complicated gamesmanship - or, perhaps, brinksmanship.

Otherwise, the fans have been sold a bill of goods.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    IMO, he has only been looking at fringe guys all winter. Case in point, Willy Taveras for CF. Walt's moves have been less than inspiring. Rhodes, Gomes, Nix, Hairston etc. People try to defend Jocketty by saying he hasn't made any really dumb moves. I'd counter that signing Taveras for $4 million for 2010, in today's economy, fits all the necessary criteria to be labeled a dumb move.
    Lol, seems like we've been looking at fringe guys for the last decade
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Lol, seems like we've been looking at fringe guys for the last decade
    Exactly, what kind of "fringe B" do you add to a roster filled with "fringe A" guys already?!?!

CAN there be folks more "fringe" than Tavares, Hairston, & Gomes, especially when you're considering those guys as OF Starter Candidates?!?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?