Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

Re: Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

precisely the whole organization is FRINGE

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Exactly, what kind of "fringe B" do you add to a roster filled with "fringe A" guys already?!?!

CAN there be folks more "fringe" than Tavares, Hairston, & Gomes, especially when you're considering those guys as OF Starter Candidates?!?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Exactly, it like the pot calling the kettle black for Walt to call guys like Wigginton "fringe"
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I have actually liked every signing except Taveras, which I can't stand, nor understand. Rhodes was needed to replace Affeldt, Lincoln was very affordable, Hairston was needed to fill out the bench, and was very affordable, Gomes could be a great bargain, and offering Weathers arb. was a gamble that I would have made as well, even though I think Walt lost on that one.

However, I really think that Walt started out thinking there would be a bigger budget and had the rug pulled out from under him by Cast. I don't think he signs Taveras or takes the risk with Weathers if he thinks that was the end of the acquisitions. Remember he tried to get Dye and made offers to Baldelli, Burrell and Wiggington, at the very least. Those are the offers that we know about. I think there was a bigger, better plan in place, and around a month ago Cast set the budget much lower than he had promised.

That said, I really don't think it is that bad, as long as they use the money to get players midseason if they are in contention...and yes, I really do think that they can be in contention midseason...or save the money to use next year, when the next wave of good prospects is due.

I think if people remain patient, then we will have a nice wave of prospects coming in soon, but people are sick and tired of that whole line. Understandably so. The Reds confuse me a little bit. Are we rebuilding, or going for it? We have a mismash of young guys and veterans.

The Tavares signing is a head scratcher. Why is outfield speed all that important in a bandbox such as Great American Ballpark?

As long as the Reds are talking to Gonzalez I don't see why they don't talk to Alou. Right handed bat that doesn't strike out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    As long as the Reds are talking to Gonzalez I don't see why they don't talk to Alou. Right handed bat that doesn't strike out a lot.
    Flash: I'm not trying to be a smart alec here, but neither of those guys are going to do much for the Reds as they stand. If they're not going to go out and get a masher...why bother?

I agree with the folks who have said he jumped on Tavares before the market went south to fill what he saw as his biggest need with the best fit he thought he could afford; and subsequently now looks like he over paid.

Gomes is a split contract and probably even has a walk away clause that won't cost the Reds a thing if he doesn't make the team and doesn't want to cool his heels in Louisville waiting for an injury to happen in Cincy. I have no problems with that one.

I question as noted by others what is going on about Wiggington too. Maybe like Dunn reportedly is, Wiggington is desparate that nobody will pay him what they thought he would get but not desparate enough to sign for what is being offered.

And yes I also agree that Jocketty has been around the block enough times to put on a really good poker face when it suits his situation. There are all sorts of angles that could be playing out both in the free agent and trade market. When they get the Encarnacion contract settled, then they will have solid cost information which should put them in a position to do whatever it is they want to do and can afford.

Don't overlook that Weathers who signed on pretty favorable terms to the club and Encarnacion, if he does the same, could in turn become valauble trading commodites. In the case of Encarnacion, he is asking $3.7M against a club offer of $2.5M. I would think a two or three year deal with an average salary of $3.5M or less would make EE a very favorable commodity. Another way of looking at it would be that Xaiver Nady's salary for this year is about what they are probably going to end up paying for Weathers and Encarnacion this year combined. Be it for Nady directly or in other deals, if they could move those two salaries, they would be in a position to bring in Nady salary neutral which in turn would probably make his price in players required to get him cheaper (I am assuming the Reds have been asking the Yanks to send money with Nady which is leading to the Yanks wanting more talent coming their way in return).

A month to 6 weeks from now, we will probably be looking back and wondering how we missed figuring out what was really going down behind the scenes.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 02-01-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    A month to 6 weeks from now, we will probably be looking back and wondering how we missed figuring out what was really going down behind the scenes.
    I'm surprised frankly that people haven't figured out what's going down already. With the renewed emphasis on speed and manufacturing runs, the Reds are taking the popular "Retro Night" concept to its next logical step. They will soon announce that 2009 is "Retro Season." It's marketing genius.

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    I'm surprised frankly that people haven't figured out what's going down already. With the renewed emphasis on speed and manufacturing runs, the Reds are taking the popular "Retro Night" concept to its next logical step. They will soon announce that 2009 is "Retro Season." It's marketing genius.
    It's true. I saw David Weathers the other day, all ready to go, sporting his new Afro and Fu-man-chu.

If this means the return of 'Nickel Beer Night' count me in. <---a dime's worth of beer.

RotoHester

Well there goes Wiggington, he just signed with Baltimore. No numbers just yet. I'm afraid to see this, I'm sure it's going to make me sick

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    Well there goes Wiggington, he just signed with Baltimore. No numbers just yet. I'm afraid to see this, I'm sure it's going to make me sick
    Yeah, good players are being signed for fringe money. WAKE UP, WALT!

Guess we will be looking at fringe players all season

And those of us who keep watching their games, following their every move and hoping for better days at last: The Lunatic Fringe

To honor us and this year's team, the city has already put together an event:

http://www.cincyfringe.com/
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 02-05-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Exactly, what kind of "fringe B" do you add to a roster filled with "fringe A" guys already?!?!

CAN there be folks more "fringe" than Tavares, Hairston, & Gomes, especially when you're considering those guys as OF Starter Candidates?!?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Ha HA Ha..............we just signed Jones and Ward.I guess the answer is yes there can be.

Turn Off Ads?