Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

Re: Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Ha HA Ha..............we just signed Jones and Ward.I guess the answer is yes there can be.
    I stand Corrected.

However, I think those guys have a legitimate shot of being much better options in the OF than Tavares - although his contract will guarantee he starts, thus guaranteeing we royally suck (more than we already were).

I think we can still do fine and compete - as long as we get Manny Ramirez and Jake Peavy added to the 25 man.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Per Fay: "Only looking at Fringe guys"...says Walt

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    Talking to Jocketty
    Posted by JohnFay at 1/30/2009 4:07 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Walt Jocketty said that Reds continue to have conversations with free agents but not the kind of guys that will make headlines.

"I talked to some agents and gotten some e-mails," Jocketty said. "We're talking to some fringe guys who are trying to get into camp."

Jocketty said at this point the Reds are only talking about minor league contracts with invites to camp.

He downplayed the possibility of Luis Gonzalez being signed.

"I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "But that was several weeks ago."

The Reds have had contact with Ty Wigginton's representative.

"I talked to his agent," Jocketty said. "They're getting close to desperate stage. But we're really only looking at bench help. I think that's the only type of guys we'll bring in -- if we do that."

One thing to keep in mind about Type A free agents: If you sign them now, you lose a draft pick. If you sign them after the June draft, there's no compensation.

"It's a possibility that you'll see guys go until then," Jocketty said.

Assistant GM Bob Miller is handling the negotiations with Edwin Encarnacion. "He hasn't talked to (Encarnacion's) agent in a few days," Jocketty said. "I still think we'll settle, but it will probably happen closer to the hearing date."
    This roster is filled with fringe guys. We have turned into the KC Royals. Thank you Jim Bowden

Turn Off Ads?