Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Reds Top 30 (+1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baseball America Reds Top 30 (+1)

The Prospect Handbook is very interesting this year everyone who is a fan of Reds prospects or any baseball team should get the book.

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Todd Frazier
    3. Drew Stubbs
    4. Chris Valaika
    5. Yorman Rodriguez
    6. Kyle Lotzkar
    7. Neftali Soto
    8. Juan Francisco
    9. Juan Duran
    10. Devin Mesoraco
    11. Daryl Thompson- may become a solid #3
    12. Chris Dickerson
    13. Jordan Smith- pitching with knee injury ruined season
    14. Josh Roenicke
    15. Zach Stewart
    16. Ryan Hanigan
    17. Ramon Ramirez
    18. Matt Maloney
    19. Zach Cozart
    20. Juan Carlos Sulbaran- three pitch mix will start in Dayton
    21. Dallas Buck- if healthy front-of-the-rotation stuff
    22. Chris Heisey
    23. Danny Dorn- can hit anybody's fastball
    24. Carlos Fisher
    25. Pedro Viola- Reds believe he can become a #3 starter
    26. Sean Watson
    27. Robert Manuel
    28. Craig Tatum
    29. Adam Rosales
    30. Alex Bucholz- impressive bat speed
    31. Phil Valiquette

Re: Baseball America Reds Top 30 (+1)

How it stacks up with our pool
    Us .................................................. ...BA
    #1 - Yonder Alonso...............................Same
    #2 - Todd Frazier..................................Same
    #3 - Neftali Soto..................................Drew Stubbs
    #4 - Drew Stubbs ................................Chris Valaika
    #5 - Chris Valaika.................................Yorman Rodriquez
    #6 - Kyle Lotzkar .................................Same
    #7 - Daryl Thompson..............................Neftali Soto
    #8 - Juan Francisco ..............................Same
    #9 - Juan Duran ...................................Same
    #10 - Chris Dickerson ............................Devin Mesoraco
    #11 - Devin Mesoraco ..........................Daryl Thompson
    #12 - Danny Dorn ................................Chris Dickerson
    #13 - Yorman Rodriguez ........................Jordan Smith (38)
    #14 - Zach Stewart ..............................Josh Roenicke
    #15 - Josh Roenicke.............................Zach Stewart
    #16 - Ramon Ramirez............................. Ryan Hanigan
    #17 - Zach Cozart................................. Ramon Ramirez
    #18 - Matt Maloney.................................. Same
    #19 - Carlos Fisher....................................Zach Cozart
    #20 - Chris Heisey.....................................JC Sulbaran
    #21 - Ryan Hanigan.................................... Dallas Buck
    #22 - Dallas Buck .......................................Chris Heissey
    #23 - Adam Rosales...................................... Danny Dorn
    #24 - Alex Buchholz .....................................Carlos Fisher
    #25 - Travis Wood........................................ Pedro Viola
    #26 - Jeremy Horst.......................................Sean Watson (34)
    #27 - Pedro Viola........................................... Robert Manual
    #28 - Evan Hildenbrandt..................................Crai g Tatum (NR)
    #29 - Juan Carlos Sulbaran...............................Adam Rosales
    #30 - Sam Lecure............................................ Alex Bucholz
    #31 - Robert Manuel.........................................Phi l Valiquette (40)

() denotes rank in prospect vote if not otherwise listed
    Last edited by tripleaaaron; 01-31-2009 at 02:07 AM.

Intriguing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Wow, how badly did we miss Jordan Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    If not for the injury, he would have ranked much, much higher. We're a fickle crowd, here at RedsZone.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Badly. Don't feel too bad though. That one seems to be a wide spread one.

Back when I did my list on my site, I put him at #34. In hindsight I probably should have put him 10 spots higher or so. I talked with a scout who got to see him in earlier in the year and his words were 'He could start in the majors right now'.

Granted at that time he was throwing really well at the time, and I knew his potential. I didn't know that he was throwing with a banged up leg though.

Still, with that said John Sickels left him off of the top 21 he listed on his site and didn't mention him in his 16 other prospects he named. So, it seems that most of us missed out on him some.

It looks like Baseball America is high on Juan Carlos Sulbaran. I am too. I've seen some video of him pitching and I came away very impressed, especially with the great movement on his fastball. And it looks like BA agrees with most of us on Dallas Buck - if he regains his fastball then he's got a chance at being a top-of-the-rotation starter.

I've always liked Pedro Viola but I had him pegged as a reliever in the mold of a Rafael Perez type. It looks like the Reds like him even better than I do if they see him as a potential #3 starter. He's got a very good fastball/slider combo so if he can master a changeup then he could possibly reach that ceiling.

Smith is a 23 yo pitch to contact arm who might be Ryan Franklin as a starter in the majors if he can prove that he can eat innings. BA is probably reacting to his control as control is a first prerequisite for pitching success in the majors but, really, Smith doesn't have a lot to distinguish himself after that....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Smith is a 23 yo pitch to contact arm who might be Ryan Franklin as a starter in the majors if he can prove that he can eat innings. BA is probably reacting to his control as control is a first prerequisite for pitching success in the majors but, really, Smith doesn't have a lot to distinguish himself after that....
    Smith has good control and a sinker that runs up to 95 MPH with an above average slider. That is fairly distinguishing. He hasn't missed a ton of bats in his minor league career, but his K rate has stayed around 16-17% the entire time up the ladder and his control has always been good. He needs to be more consistent with his third pitch though.

it'd be funny if Chris "Dangerfield" Dickerson won Rookie of the Year award (is he eligible?)

I could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    it'd be funny if Chris "Dangerfield" Dickerson won Rookie of the Year award (is he eligible?)
    Yep he's still eligible. He only had 102 atbats (the limit is 130) and wasn't on the active roster for more than 45 days before September 1.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Smith has good control and a sinker that runs up to 95 MPH with an above average slider. That is fairly distinguishing. He hasn't missed a ton of bats in his minor league career, but his K rate has stayed around 16-17% the entire time up the ladder and his control has always been good. He needs to be more consistent with his third pitch though.
    His sinker isn't going to consistently be anywhere close to 95 mph. If he makes it to the majors, he'll have average velocity. The guy begs hitters to put the ball in play.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

His sinker isn't going to consistently be anywhere close to 95 mph. If he makes it to the majors, he'll have average velocity. The guy begs hitters to put the ball in play.
    Not many guys can, but he has two above average pitches, gets lots of ground balls, has good control and a big pitchers frame that should be able to lead to plenty of innings.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not many guys can, but he has two above average pitches, gets lots of ground balls, has good control and a big pitchers frame that should be able to lead to plenty of innings.
    He's got an average sinker and slider that he can throw for strikes. He doesn't miss bats.

If he had two plus pitches and plus command, wouldn't BA have him higher than 13th in a farm characterized best by it's depth? John Sickels tends to mention guys like that too....

And just how do you presume this? If his trademark is he has good control then his FB may not have to come down, he can continue throwing where he's at now.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?