Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try and be positive.

Try and be positive.

Barring a Xavier Nady trade or a deal for Bobby Abreu, the 2009 season is going to have little to no hype at all. I understand that, and honestly, I'm ok with that. So the Reds didn't sign Eric Milton, trade for Ramon Ortiz, and bring in Joe Randa. You see, thats what the old ownership and front ofice would have done, they would have brought in veterans that were past there prime to try and convince Reds fans that the season just might be able to be salvaged. Jocketty/Castelini have a plan. The plan is to let Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Volquez and Cueto grow and lead this team in the future. Now, I know Reds fans don't like to hear about the future, the difference between hearing about it now opposed to all the previous years is, quite simply, there is one. Jay Bruce is going to be an absolute star. His power is not yer fully developed. He will be 22 when he trots out to right field on opening day next year. in 2013, Jay Bruce will own this town in the summer. Joey Votto is a stud as well, he can flat out hit and he along with Bruce are going to be leaders in this clubhouse for years. Hopefully their careers. Cueto is a lights out pitcher, I mean lights out, he is a #1 and were all going to see his dominance truely start this year. Volquez is very, very good. I think he'll be a solid #2 right behind Cueto. Chris Dickerson, the Reds are gonna let the kid play and their going to see what exactly they have. Maybe as an everyday player, he turns out to be a .255 average guy with 10-12 homerun power and a decent OBP but needs to be on the bench, or maybe he is a .280 hitter with 20 HR power that gets on base alot. The Reds want to find that out, I'm cool with that. Willy T? IDK, I'm not as down on the kid as everyone else on redzone is, maybe he gets his 2007 form back, we'll see. I'm rooting for him hard. Basically, when you look at the team, they're is a ton of youth that is uber talented and it might take a year or two to get some of the holes figured out but I'm ok with the Reds letting the kids play. Maybe they develop a little early and we win this year, proabably not. I'll be a Reds fan either way. And I'll make more than a few visits to GABP to watch the youngsters grow.
    Last edited by BearcatShane; 02-01-2009 at 01:04 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Try and be positive.

Not to mention parking should be a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Barring a Xavier Nady trade or a deal for Bobby Abreu, the 2009 season is going to have little to no hype at all. I understand that, and honestly, I'm ok with that. So the Reds didn't sign Eric Milton, trade for Ramon Ortiz, and bring in Joe Randa. You see, thats what the old ownership and front ofice would have done, they would have brought in veterans that were past there prime to try and convince Reds fans that the season just might be able to be salvaged. Jocketty/Castelini have a plan. The plan is to let Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Volquez and Cueto grow and lead this team in the future. Now, I know Reds fans don't like to hear about the future, the difference between hearing about it now opposed to all the previous years is, quite simply, there is one. Jay Bruce is going to be an absolute star. His power is not yer fully developed. He will be 22 when he trots out to right field on opening day next year. in 2013, Jay Bruce will own this town in the summer. Joey Votto is a stud as well, he can flat out hit and he along with Bruce are going to be leaders in this clubhouse for years. Hopefully their careers. Cueto is a lights out pitcher, I mean lights out, he is a #1 and were all going to see his dominance truely start this year. Volquez is very, very good. I think he'll be a solid #2 right behind Cueto. Chris Dickerson, the Reds are gonna let the kid play and their going to see what exactly they have. Maybe as an everyday player, he turns out to be a .255 average guy with 10-12 homerun power and a decent OBP but needs to be on the bench, or maybe he is a .280 hitter with 20 HR power that gets on base alot. The Reds want to find that out, I'm cool with that. Willy T? IDK, I'm not as down on the kid as everyone else on redzone is, maybe he gets his 2007 form back, we'll see. I'm rooting for him hard. Basically, when you look at the team, they're is a ton of youth that is uber talented and it might take a year or two to get some of the holes figured out but I'm ok with the Reds letting the kids play. Maybe they develop a little early and we win this year, proabably not. I'll be a Reds fan either way. And I'll make more than a few visits to GABP to watch the youngsters grow.
    i agree with you. plus there is no valentin, no patterson, no bako, no freel, no griffey, no dunn. jocketty has rid this team of some dead weight. granted taveras might not be that great, but he is a speedster and when or if he gets on, he'll be fun to watch. i look forward to seeing what this team can do. the homeruns didn't make this team a winner and people clamored for something different. well, it's different now. and i look forward to it.
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

Rusty the Red

The Reds have a plan. I like that.

maybe we'll get a power bat in 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I think the plan is to rebuild for 3010.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Yes we will. And his name will be: Yonder

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    i agree with you. plus there is no valentin, no patterson, no bako, no freel, no griffey, no dunn. jocketty has rid this team of some dead weight. granted taveras might not be that great, but he is a speedster and when or if he gets on, he'll be fun to watch. i look forward to seeing what this team can do. the homeruns didn't make this team a winner and people clamored for something different. well, it's different now. and i look forward to it.
    It's foolish to blame Dunn for this team's putrid last decade. A .900 OPS bat can only do so much when balls fly over his head into the LF bleachers...

This team will definitely be different to watch though. They seem scrappalicious with some young talent looking to step forward. It should be interesting at least.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Yes we will. And his name will be: Yonder
    Not to mention the 3rd season of both Votto and Bruce. The power will definitely be there.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    i agree with you. plus there is no valentin, no patterson, no bako, no freel, no griffey, no dunn. jocketty has rid this team of some dead weight.

You are right that overall the roster is filled with more Major League quality players, and fewer rifraffs, but claiming that Dunn was dead weight is absurd. I like our bullpen and our rotation better than I have any time this decade, but I think we'll come to miss Adam Dunn, at least those of us who understand OPS will.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post
    You are right that overall the roster is filled with more Major League quality players, and fewer rifraffs, but claiming that Dunn was dead weight is absurd. I like our bullpen and our rotation better than I have any time this decade, but I think we'll come to miss Adam Dunn, at least those of us who understand OPS will.
    i didnt mean to claim dunn as that. dunn was the one guy of that bunch i hated to see go. i still wish he hadnt been dealt away. still though, this team may be better without him. time will tell.
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

but I think we'll come to miss Adam Dunn, at least those of us who understand OPS will.
    And those of us who understand that your sabermetrics don't take into account how frustrating it is to watch a guy with as much power as anyone in the sport(not to mention playing in a bandbox) let 90% or more of every 3-2 pitch he's seen in his entire career float past him(no matter where it was located in relation to the plate) will not miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Path View Post
    And those of us who understand that your sabermetrics don't take into account how frustrating it is to watch a guy with as much power as anyone in the sport(not to mention playing in a bandbox) let 90% or more of every 3-2 pitch he's seen in his entire career float past him(no matter where it was located in relation to the plate) will not miss him.
    Yah, you're right. I hate it when batters work the count, get the pitcher's pitch count up and draw walks. Not gonna miss that.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Would I like to have Dunn still? Yes. He does alot of positive things but I'm ok with him being gone. I really think we needed player personel change on and off the field. Dunn and Griffey kind of set an example, an example that I'm not sure I wanted to see Bruce and Votto get used too. I have a feeling the 2009 team is going to be known as a scrappy, hungry team that will do anything to win. Will that equate to 90+ wins? Probably not, but I think 09 is a good year to start to change the lazy mindset of Cincinnati players.
    This year will be the beginning of a core group of players that will lead this franchise for years to come.

I'll agree that all the losses weren't his fault. But I'll disagree that I'll miss Dunn. The people that understand OPS AND the concept of using your money wisely probably won't miss him much either. Even with his price coming down we could have 90% of his production at a fraction of the cost with better defense as well. Sorry but I'd rather use the difference in money for our next shortstop and to lock up the young players. Call me crazy but that kinda makes sense to me.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'll agree that all the losses weren't his fault. But I'll disagree that I'll miss Dunn. The people that understand OPS AND the concept of using your money wisely probably won't miss him much either. Even with his price coming down we could have 90% of his production at a fraction of the cost with better defense as well. Sorry but I'd rather use the difference in money for our next shortstop and to lock up the young players. Call me crazy but that kinda makes sense to me.
    IMO, most general managers would agree with you. They seem to be less willing to sacrifice defense in LF for power than in prior years. Not only Dunn, but Abreu, Burrell, and even Manny have found it hard to get their price. Although Dodger fans would disagree, I think the Dodgers are wise to refuse to go more than two years. If Manny's production were to decline to .285 and 25 HRs, a decline which is more likely than not at his age, his offense would not be sufficient to offset his defense and the other distractions he brings. Speed and defense are still sufficiently cheaper than power to offer better value, but the market is adjusting.

Turn Off Ads?