Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Re: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    i guess whatever team you root for doesn't pay enough then, huh?

scoreboard
    Maybe if they looked at the scoreboard they could have reviewed the play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow. Nothing like having your Super Bowl MVP with a Wikipedia section labeled "Legal Trouble".
    A few other points about the game:
    -When are they going to let go of the Joe Namath thing. He has won as many Super Bowls as Jeff Hostetler.
    -It is a shame that the Refs played such a big part. They didn't destroy the game, but they were a little too proactive.
    -James Harrison is a scary man.
    -Is there a cooler guy on the planet than Mike Tomlin?
    -Work is going to be miserable tomorrow.
    -Jennifer Hudson...wow...I could usually care less about the National Anthem before sporting events (I know where I live), but she got the hairs on the back of my neck to raise.
    -The difference in the game was tackling. When the Steelers had a chance to take a guy down, they did. Arizona let too many guys get away.
    -How is Matt Millen working on TV?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm a diehard Browns fan who hates the Steelers...but they warrant a tip of the hat. If you're reading Steel...enjoy.
    Thanks, Kal. I am enjoying the aftermath, but I always felt that the Cardinals represented extremely worthy SB competition. I never took them lightly or for granted and they showed me why no one should have done that. In fact, they almost won the game in the exact way I described they could.

I also think that both Big Ben and Santonio Holmes came into their own during this game. Ben produced yet another incredibly clutch performance and Holmes was ridiculously good tonight. The Steelers already had the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl and now they have the youngest Head Coach to do the same.

I only wish that the Bengals fans on this board will one day understand the pride I feel for my favorite team. They're good fans. Even though our teams play in the same division, I do not at all like the idea that the Bengals are not respectable right now. Ditto the Browns. I enjoy that rivalry like no other. Other than the Ravens, there isn't a team I want the Steelers to beat more than Cleveland.

Very classy post, kal. Much respect, and thank you.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Very classy interview with Ken Wiz. He is a hell of a coach who brought a team who is just above average to near greatness. I have a great deal of respect for him.

EDIT to add:

Kurt Warner also very gracious. He played a very good game and deserves a pat on the back.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 02-01-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Very classy interview with Ken Wiz. He is a hell of a coach who brought a team who is just above average to near greatness. I have a great deal of respect for him.
    Absolutely. It's amazing what he's done with the Arizona squad. To take them all the way to the Super Bowl is absolutely amazing. If I were any NFL team over the next few years, I'd fear that squad for sure.

Kurt Warner was also extremely classy during his post-shower interview. There's no possible way that the Cardinals were the "worst" team ever to make the big game. I'd expect them to the yearly contenders at this point.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Kurt Warner was also extremely classy during his post-shower interview. There's no possible way that the Cardinals were the "worst" team ever to make the big game. I'd expect them to the yearly contenders at this point.
    They certainly were not. What they showed is if you are a smart team with smart players who believe in what you are doing you can accomplish a bunch.

Will they be back? I think that depends on how long Kurt can play (and if he re-ups with Ariz ) and will they be able to get Leinart to be a leader. He has the tools, now can he get his team to believe in him.

This was a terrific gane. I always think that big games are defined by big time players making big time plays. The Steelers just a had one or two more of those players this year than the Cards,

Wow. Ben thought the last TD pass to Holmes was going to be picked. Great interview on ESPN going on right now.

--Ted Williams

OK, I have such a great feeling with my favorite team winning this.

I have felt it before with them and with Syracuse Basketball in 2003.

Now, I want to feel it again with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Wow. Ben thought the last TD pass to Holmes was going to be picked. Great interview on ESPN going on right now.
    I honestly thought he was throwing it away. I wanted them to run a draw...shows the brainiac that I am.

I hope with all the photographers in that corner of the end zone, someone got a great Dwight-Clark-Walter-Iooss-Jr. shot of Holme's catch. Should on the cover of SI if so,
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Great post, Dom. I just copied it and emailed it to my sister, who hates the Stealers every bit as much as I do. I can relate completely.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Steel, we are all happy for you, my friend. Enjoy the moment, it will be gone soon enough.

I understand the pride you feel for your favorite team. The Bengals don't have to win a Super Bowl for me to love the heck out of them.

But even if the Steelers weren't our division rivals, they would still be my very least favorite team in the entire universe because I don't like their style of football.

I don't think there is anything likable about Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Harrison- I mean, it's year after year of the same questionable hits.

Football is a physical game, but it doesn't mean you have to make unnecessary plays. The hit that Hines Ward put on Keith Rivers was one of the more unnecessary hits I've ever seen. If you want to argue it's legal, fine. But it wasn't necessary. I don't watch football for that kind of thing.

And they've done that since I was a kid, and it's why I'll never be a fan.

Anyhoo- none of that is about you. I'm thrilled for you. Just wish you had a different favorite team.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-01-2009 at 11:49 PM.

How much did the Stealers pay those refs? WOW.

That was probably one of the worst called games I've ever seen. Funny how that always seems to happen when Pittsburgh is in the Super Bowl.

The Steelers are an incredibly unlikeable team. Sure I don't like them because I'm a Bengals fan and all, but you look at the personal fouls tonight and how egregious they were, combine that with their history of playing dirty, it's just a shame they can't win with some class. But they win, which is ultimately all that matters I guess. I'm sure if they were my team I'd be willing to look the other way.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Also: Could have sworn I was watching the Bungles at the end of the first half.

Turn Off Ads?