Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Well, the Pittsburgh Steelers are about to win another Super Bowl, just miles away from where I live.

As many of you know, the dreaded Pittsburgh Steelers are the number one enemy of Dom Heffner, and my personal observations of this event must be shared to warn thousands of Redzoners from possibly feeling even an ounce of admiration for one of the worst "teams" to ever win a Super Bowl.

If even one of you utters, "Well, you have to admire/like/respect/ or any other positive synonym about this...this...ill-fated masssacre that is about to take place, you will, of course, be sentenced to watching the DVD box set of "Superstars of Dance." (Of which the worst judge on the show has an uncanny resemblance to Troy Polamalu- you know the guy, the one who sits in the upper right hand corner of the panel who gives everyone an 8 out of 10because, as he says, "Everyone has something they can improve on.")

I drove through a sea of Steelers fans near Raymond James Stadium yesterday, doors locked, hands at ten and two on the steering wheel, not trusting a single one of them. Never has there been a display of such ignorant support for a professional franchise.

These fans support a team that sports only one decal on their helmet- a decal stolen from the poor working class people this team purports to represent.

These people support a team that fields no cheerleading squad, evidence of the fact that there are no hot women that can bring themselves to support such a group of men that ignore basic grooming habits, like the cutting of their hair so it doesn't hang so low that you can't tell what the heck their name is.

These people support a team that fields no players you would ever take for your fantasy football team, unless to cover a bye week or injury caused by one of their defensive players.

These fans cheer for a team that plays its home games in a stadium where a 35 yard field goal is a dicey proposition.

Upon driving through this array of misguided working class people, I apologized to my very beautiful and very pregnant better half: I'm sorry, honey, for jeopardizing the health and safety of the two most important people in my life. You never know when one of these fans might try to emulate Hines Ward and break one of our jaws. Or spear tackle us like we were Willis McGahee. Or grab our chins and spin our ahead around like Keith Gary did to Ken Anderson, as if he were Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

Or tear our MCL, like that third string defensive lineman Kemo Vanawfulplayer did to that saint of a man, Carson Palmer.

Are they really that bad? Is what they do legal? she asked. Legal, but unethical I explained. Like prostitution in Vegas, smoking, having children out of wedlock.

These people walking around this city's Raymond James Stadium support a team that really isn't a team. It's a defense. There are no offensive stars, 1000 yard rushers, 12 TD receivers.

Mark Malone, Kordell Stewart, Todd Blackledge, Mike Tomczak, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell. I'm going to let that list speak for itself.

This team- or defense, sorry- has a QB who is more drinking buddy than quarterback. He wears eye black at night, and makes more bad decisions on the field than Gary Busey on a weekend pass in Bangkok.

But it doesn't matter when you have a defense that sets you up for 30 yard scoring drives after an interception, fumble recovery, or ambulance run. Or sometimes they just go ahead and score for you, becuase all you have in your offensive playbook is a flea flicker to Hines Ward so he can do his little skip into the endzone designed to irritate anyone not named Hines Ward. It's almost as if the 6 points are secondary to that giant melon headed thing they have at WR.

And let's not kid ourselves: 13-10 games are fun- like Pedro Martinez pitching for the 1977 Seattle Mariners against a lineup of Gerald Perry's is fun in baseball.

Whoopee.

And now that Ben Roethlisberger will wear two Super Bowl rings because of what might be the two weakest opponents in Super Bowl history (three if you count the refs who handed them the first one), he will be called great, magnificient, and wonderful, even though he failed to show up for the first game- though not sure how much Ben Roethlisberger "showing up" helps a team about whom the experts say, "All the Cardinals have to do is score 20 points."

I'm not sure how I'm going to weather this game without breaking something. At least when I watch Duke win a college basketball game, I can say, "At least the Steelers didn't win today."

But tonight, it might be a drinking game (take a swig every time Hines Ward smiles- heck, I'll be drunk by kickoff), or doing something only slightly less annoying, like putting together one of those entertainment centers sold at Wal Mart.

Pray for me, Redzoners. Kurt Warner is my own personal Obi-Wan Kenobi.

My only hope.

Senor Votto

Re: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

When I was at work today at least 25 customers came in wearing Big Ben jerseys. I was standing there wearing my Cincinnati Bengal hoody. I loathe the Steelers and the majority the their fans.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I drove through a sea of Steelers fans near Raymond James Stadium yesterday, doors locked, hands at ten and two on the steering wheel, not trusting a single one of them. Never has there been a display of such ignorant support for a professional franchise.
    How many of them did you run over? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

How many of them did you run over? Inquiring minds wanna know!
    I wanted to, believe me. I just haven't made up my mind if it's their fault or not.

And I wasn't sure if they might send Hines Ward to chop block my dog.

I simply could not forgive myself if that happened.

High five!

Not to distract from an excellent rant but that was the best performance of the National Anthem since Whitney Houston.

3-0 Pittsburgh. Arizona challenged a rushing TD by Roethlisberger that was overturned and the Steelers kicked a 19 yard FG.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I had a feeling that TD was going to be overturned because it sure looked like Ben rolled into the endzone when his knee was down about a foot short.

Jennifer Hudson was totally SUBLIME. Wow, what a beautiful rendition of the national anthem and I'm so impressed with her poise after all she's been through lately. She was phenomenal.

((((Don)))) I hope you survive Steelerville tonight!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Might as well just hand the Steelers the Lombardi trophy. Roethlisberger is looking the opposite of how he looked against the Seahawks.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

On the play where Ben was wrongfully first credited with a TD, a Steelers lineman illegally pulled Ben forward. That should have been a ten yard penalty and a replay of down.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    On the play where Ben was wrongfully first credited with a TD, a Steelers lineman illegally pulled Ben forward. That should have been a ten yard penalty and a replay of down.
    In his online column this morning at SI's web site Peter King noted that Pittsburgh center Justin Hartwig had illegally pulled Ben forward on that play, the first member of the media that I know of to note the illegal play; Michaels and Madden made no mention of it despite numerous replays.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I have a feeling I'll be changing the channel after halftime because I'm sick of watching the Steeler players act like they just won the Superbowl, their dream woman, and an Oscar after every single play. I know football players have done this forever but it's really obnoxious tonight.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Dom:

That is one of the best posts I've ever read on Redszone. LMBO.

Rem

Excellent post Dom and one that I agree with 100%. The Steelers are by far my most hated sports franchise and I wish every year they go 0-16 while not scoring a point.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Good chance for Arizona to take the lead.

Out of curiosity, did Hines Ward ever get called for a chop block for taking out Keith Rivers?

The refs just called Edgerrin James for it.

Turn Off Ads?