Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Super Bowl Sunday (My Own Personal Hell)

Hell of a game.

Roethlisberger did what great quarterbacks do -- with ~2 minutes to play, down by 3, he took the football and said "Mine." Both QBs played extremely well, which was a surprise given how well both defenses had been playing leading up to the Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh is the unquestioned class of the NFL. They play football their way, and their way has worked for the better part of 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I don't think there is anything likable about Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Harrison- I mean, it's year after year of the same questionable hits.
    I don't think there's ever been a great defense, from the Purple People Eaters or the Steel Curtain of old to the Ravens or the Buccaneers of new, that hasn't been accused of dirty play to some degree. It goes with the territory -- physical play, aggressive attitudes, ballhawking / big play mentality.

They play hard, and the play tough. And, as a result, other teams play scared. It's why you see the Steelers delivering big hits instead of receiving them season after season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Did anyone else see/hear Rodney Harrison make a complete ass of himself in front of a few hundred million people during the pre-game?

Oh joy, now we get to hear about how great Big Ben is because his defense has won two super bowls. This always happens with QBs. The guy is good, but he's not a great QB, and isn't anywhere near HOF caliber, yet we're already hearing that term being applied.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm a diehard Browns fan who hates the Steelers...but they warrant a tip of the hat. If you're reading Steel...enjoy.
    Bingo!

And sorry Dom.... but I have nothing but respect... and even some jealousy... for the Steeler's Rooney family and this organization. And that's what it is, in large part.... jealousy.

And I openly admit that as a Brown/Bengal fan. If what they have accomplished in Pittsburgh was being done in either Cincy or Cleveland over the years, and not perpetual losing and stinkin' up the place, the fans would all be on-board and defending their team to the death.

A tip of the hat to the Steelers for a great game. And especially to former OSU alumni Holmes.

WHAT A CATCH!!!!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Oh joy, now we get to hear about how great Big Ben is because his defense has won two super bowls. This always happens with QBs. The guy is good, but he's not a great QB, and isn't anywhere near HOF caliber, yet we're already hearing that term being applied.
    Great QB? Maybe not. But one cannot give all the credit for this win to the defense.

Big Ben had a heckuva first half IMO. And a SB QB rating of 93.2 (21-30 for 256 yds, and a 70% CMP%) isn't bad. No, he's not graceful, nor pretty to watch. But he is efficient. He didn't make mistakes, other then that deflected INT, and what impresses me about him is his ability to scramble, always have his eyes down field, and for the most part - make things happen. Especially in critical times when it is needed.

Holmes made a helluva catch; but does Ben get any credit for putting the ball there? Does Ben get any credit at all for engineering those critical drives when needed?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm a die-hard Bengals fan, so clearly I have no love for the Steelers, but I can't believe how underrated they are as a franchise. All you ever hear about is Dungy and the Colts and Belichick and the Pats, but no franchise can't match the Steelers for consistency through the years. And Big Ben is one of the most underrated qb's in the game, IMO. He's better than most people think.

I tip my cap to you Steeler Nation. You do it often, and you do it right. I only wish my team could say the same.

Diehard Steelers fan.

One for the six-pack. Greatest Super Bowl game I witnessed. I'm so beat that I'm taking the day off from work. When you're a fan for over 35 years, the championships get sweeter with age.

Now if the Reds can get the organization on the right track and start winning championships........
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

GAC- nice posts, thanks.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

That was a great game. I only have a few complaints. The officials played a big roll in the outcome of the game. Then they failed to do their job on the last play of the game. It was odd but in the two Warner fumbles (one was over turned and the second one should have been reviewed) in the corner of the screen you could see the official looking around for someone else to make the call. He seemed very indecisive which I didn't really like. I am just shocked that in the biggest game of the year they didn't give the determining play a second look. Shame on the NFL.

Over the last few years with parity starting to become greater the Super Bowls have been great games. There are very few blow outs in the Super Bowl which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Over the last few years with parity starting to become greater the Super Bowls have been great games. There are very few blow outs in the Super Bowl which is great.
    In the last ten years only two of the Super Bowls have been non-competitive games (Ravens-Giants and Buccaneers-Raiders), and six of the games have been great, down-to-the wire games (Rams-Titans, Giants-Patriots, Steelers-Cardinals and all three of the Patriots victories). Major league baseball meanwhile has had a run of relatively boring, one-sided World Series during this period, with the great exception of the Diamonds-Yankees in 2001.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    That was a great game. I only have a few complaints. The officials played a big roll in the outcome of the game. Then they failed to do their job on the last play of the game. It was odd but in the two Warner fumbles (one was over turned and the second one should have been reviewed) in the corner of the screen you could see the official looking around for someone else to make the call. He seemed very indecisive which I didn't really like. I am just shocked that in the biggest game of the year they didn't give the determining play a second look. Shame on the NFL.

According to the NFL, the last play was reviewed in the booth and upheld.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

It sure as heck wasn't reviewed by the ref on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    According to the NFL, the last play was reviewed in the booth and upheld.
    Because they know that if the cardinals win less SB tshirts would have been bought.

Quick end the game we need to make money!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Did anyone else see/hear Rodney Harrison make a complete ass of himself in front of a few hundred million people during the pre-game?
    I watched it and didn't get this impression at all. I thought his piece in the David Tyree video was very gracious. He made the tongue in cheek comment "this year the best team will win - Pittsburgh" but given everything he had said previously about the Giants I thought he was just having fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I watched it and didn't get this impression at all. I thought his piece in the David Tyree video was very gracious. He made the tongue in cheek comment "this year the best team will win - Pittsburgh" but given everything he had said previously about the Giants I thought he was just having fun with it.
    It's alright, he probably just had a little bit too much HGH that morning.

Turn Off Ads?