Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players out of options

Players out of options

Cafardo's Latest: Players Out Of Options
    By Nat Boyle [February 1 at 9:51am CST]

Lots of stuff in Nick Cafardo's column in the Boston Globe to go over.

With around 100 free agents vying for less than 20 remaining roster spots, things become more interesting with 227 players on big-league rosters who are out of options. If a player is out of options and is not rostered, he has to either be traded or designated for assignment. If designated, that player has to clear waivers. This could affect remaining free agent signings. Cafardo makes note of a few who are out of options and may wind up as trade fodder or designated for assignment before the season begins:

Red Sox: George Kottaras
    Yankees: Melky Cabrera
    Cubs: Chad Gaudin, Rich Hill (possibly heading to Baltimore?)
    Brewers: Tony Gwynn Jr.
    Indians: Anthony Reyes, Andy Marte
    Twins: Boof Bonser, Philip Humber
    Rays: Jeff Niemann
    Orioles: David Pauley

* With Jason Varitek re-signed, the Red Sox will either have to trade catcher Kottaras or designate him for assignment.
    * Cafardo notes Niemann is a former No. 1 pick and the righthander should garner some attention.
    * Bonser or Humber could be traded to land a reliever. Cafardo also mentions Delmon Young as a possible trading chip.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Of that group, Kottaras and Niemann interest me the most. I like Rich Hill but I doubt the Cubs would trade him within the division. Andy Marte is still young and has some potential but third base is probably the biggest strength of the Reds farm system. Kottaras is still only 25 (turns 26 in May) and has a career .810 OPS in the minors.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Players out of options

Boof has good peripherals and had an xFIP in the 4.30 range in both 2006 and 2008, It's odd to me why he is struggling so much. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good. I don't know. it couldn't hurt to have another guy compete for that last spot in the back of the rotation.
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Having a life is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    * With Jason Varitek re-signed, the Red Sox will either have to trade catcher Kottaras or designate him for assignment.
    I think there's maybe a chance Kottaras will get an opportunity to back up Varitek, since Josh Bard's contract isn't guaranteed. Plus, Cafardo's almost always wrong.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    Boof has good peripherals and had an xFIP in the 4.30 range in both 2006 and 2008, It's odd to me why he is struggling so much. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good. I don't know. it couldn't hurt to have another guy compete for that last spot in the back of the rotation.
    LH's are killing the kid, apparently he doesn't have a pitch to get them out consistently. Although he did do much better against them in '08 but it was a lot less IP. His '07 on the surface looked better because he was BABIP lucky enough vs. RHP that it somewhat offset his very unlucky BABIP vs. LHH. In '08 his BABIP normalized more vs. RHH's so his weakness vs. LHH's makes his '08 look much worse.

'07 - .349/.407/.563/.970, .401 BABIP against in 411 PA vs. LHH
    '07 - .214/.285/.360/.645, .231 BABIP against in 361 PA vs. RHH

'08 - .315/.378/.489/.866, .374 BABIP against in 243 PA vs. LHH
    '08 - .260/.295/.405/.700, .287 BABIP against in 289 PA vs. RHH

If he's ava. and on the cheap he's definitely worth a look to see if maybe Soto could help him develop a change up, the pitch that helps equalize LHH's if you are a RHP. Of course I'm assuming he doesn't have one or a very good one at this point. If you look closely it's as if he started to BB many more LHH's in '08 which hurt his OBP% against but helped his BA and SLG% against vs. LHH's. This is right up our alley. How about a Homer/Francisco/Richar for Boof/Young swap? Or just a Homer/Janish for Boof deal?
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 02-01-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Andy Marte is Drew Henson part II

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

All of these players have some nice potential other than Anthony Gwynn Jr...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

It's official. The Cubs traded Hill to the Os for a PTBNL.

Quote Originally Posted by rotoworld.com;
    Orioles acquired LHP Rich Hill from the Cubs in exchange for a player to be named later.

Like Felix Pie and Ronny Cedeno before him, Hill was traded at a discount by the Cubs because he was out of minor league options. The quality of player to be named later will likely depend upon how well Hill fares in Baltimore after struggling with his control last season. If the Orioles can get him back to throwing strikes, Hill can be a solid No. 3 starter and nice sleeper target in AL-only leagues.
    The Cubs have jettisoned Pie, Cedeno, and Hill so far this off season.

These are all guys who are legit major leaguers (may even become regulars). Talent isn't always free but good GMs can find ways to "not pay alot for that muffler". These guys represent buying low on guys with some upside as opposed to "getting a low ceiling below market rates".
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's official. The Cubs traded Hill to the Os for a PTBNL.

The Cubs have jettisoned Pie, Cedeno, and Hill so far this off season.

These are all guys who are legit major leaguers (may even become regulars). Talent isn't always free but good GMs can find ways to "not pay alot for that muffler". These guys represent buying low on guys with some upside as opposed to "getting a low ceiling below market rates".
    Of course, being able to take on talent like this requires not filling your 25 man roster with guaranteed contracts to mediocre veterans. The Reds have continually preferred to fill up the roster with the Mike Stanton and Jeff Conines of the world, even when experiencing a fair amount of success with Rule V forays (Burton and Hamilton) and post-hype sleepers like Jose Guillen.

It's an admittedly fine line to walk in leaving open the opportunity to take a flier on a guy while putting together a reliable roster. And from the PR perspective, it's much easier to defend a veteran signing gone bad than passing on the "proven" guy for somebody still looking to establish himself who ends up not panning out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

No guarantees the Cubs would've traded any of those players to the Reds in the division...BUT...how can you not try to go after those players? They all fill holes for the Reds and were acquired on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    No guarantees the Cubs would've traded any of those players to the Reds in the division...BUT...how can you not try to go after those players? They all fill holes for the Reds and were acquired on the cheap.
    I'm not sure trades won't happen within the division. Likewise, we have no idea whether we made a pitch for Hill or any of the others. We're just not privy to that info. Because he was trade elsewhere doesn't mean we didn't make an offer too.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The Cubs also traded RP Michael Wuertz to the A's for two minor leaguers.

per mlbtraderumors.com:

According to a press release from the Cubs, they've sent Wuertz to the A's for minor leaguers Richie Robnett and Justin Sellers. Given all the additions to Oakland's farm system, neither player ranked in their Baseball America top 30 list this year.

In BA's 2008 Handbook, Robnett, a 25 year-old outfielder, ranked 15th among A's prospects. He was said to have "huge raw power," but that hasn't come through in his minor league numbers.

Sellers, a 23 year-old infielder, ranked 14th in the '08 Handbook. He was described as "a solid-average defender who'll hit at the bottom of a lineup."

Wuerz, 30, posted a 3.63 ERA in 44.6 innings for the Cubs this year with a 6.04 K/9. He's signed at $1.1MM for '09.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Of course, being able to take on talent like this requires not filling your 25 man roster with guaranteed contracts to mediocre veterans. The Reds have continually preferred to fill up the roster with the Mike Stanton and Jeff Conines of the world
    I don't know why you'd pan the Reds. acquiring the out of options Brandon Phillips turned out pretty good.

if anything, I'd say that the Reds played the 40 man roster/25 man roster game better than anyone for a couple of seasons.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I don't know why you'd pan the Reds. acquiring the out of options Brandon Phillips turned out pretty good.

if anything, I'd say that the Reds played the 40 man roster/25 man roster game better than anyone for a couple of seasons.
    I didn't pan them at all. I swear some people seem to disagree with me these days just out of principle....

I said that some GMs were more comfortable playing a game of CYA than chasing real talent. I wasn't defending that position in the least...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

Notice that the guy in charge when they played that game the last couple years is now the guy in charge in Baltimore.

Walt has a track record, but at some point we have to see something more productive than what Wayne did his first year here or now in Baltimore to justify the change in regime. Respect may have been earned from Castellini, but Reds fans are still waiting, and wandering if the right move was made.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I thought it was odd that CHC traded cedeno, the radio stations here say that Lou isn't big on Theriot but looks like they traded their in house option.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Turn Off Ads?